This was our second visit to Kurumba and it just gets better and better.
After a long flight from Heathrow, the welcome sight of a fast speedboat waiting to take you on the 10 minute trip from Male airport to the island, is heavenly.
The welcome you receive on arrival at the jetty is also legendery, with coconut ice cream to cool you as the 96 degree hot sun beats down.
If you are tempted by the Maldives but have never visited before - don't hold back. You will be amazed and, despite there being more than 80 resorts to choose from, you will not go wrong if you settle for Kurumba.
What appears in reviews beneath this is pretty much all to be believed. It is a paradise destination, the prices are reasonable and I challenge you find find anywhere where you are better looked after.
If you are a foodie, there are eight restaurants to chose from, serving exquisite fare from around the world. Head chef Ralf ensures all his staff are at the top of their game and the meals are amazing.
For a special treat, we recommend the Ocean Grill, an open-air, over-water a la carte restaurant where you can watch baby sharks and manta rays swimming beneath you as you dine.
Lovers of Indian food will also not be disappointed either, as mine host Fernando serves up the very best at the Kurumba Mahal.
The best weather, with wall-to-wall sunshine, is from November to June. It can be rainy in the other months - but nothing like Britain! The temperature rarely drops beneath 80 degrees - even at night - but all the rooms are fully air conditioned and beautifuly cool.
There are as many staff on Kurumba as guests - about 400 when it's busy - and they ensure that you want for nothing. They are ALWAYS smiling and nothing is too much trouble. Special mention for Jason Kruse, the general manager and his team including Myla, Leah and Phil who made our stay during Kurumba's 40th anniversary celebrations so memorable.
There's lots to do on Kurumba - particularly if you are into diving and snorkelling. The marine life is fabulous. The resort has also just invested in eco-friendly jet skis and you are encouraged to take one out on a visit to some of the uninhabited islands in the Maldives' North Atoll. Another amazing experience.
Popular too is the nightly sunset cruise where you can watch dolphins jumping as they swim around your boat while the sun provides one of the most dramatic backdrops you will see anywhere.
Kurumba specialises in great cocktails and, as darkness always falls by about 6.30pm, an early evening rendezvous with other guests at the Sand Bar is a must. Make a date to listen to the band too, as they entertain on the beach before dinner.
The accommodation range is excellent with bungalows and villas dotted all around the water's edge. Some of the rooms are literally just five steps from the amazing azure-blue lagoon which surrounds Kurumba, thanks to a breakwater. This ensures the water is always smooth and crystal clear but allows hundreds of rare species of fish to swim with you.
We recommend the Pool villas with their walled gardens and private swimming pools - brilliant for midnight dips under the stars in total privacy!
It is hard to believe but we can find nothing to criticise about this resort. It's child friendly, never overcrowded and is always paying attention to detail. Perhaps the fact that it has thousands of repeat guests - some of whom have visited more than 70 times since Kurumba was created in 1972 - speaks for itself.
The island has a saying that holidaymakers arrive as a guest and leave as a friend. It is so true. We'll definitely be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kurumba is Maldives' very first resort. Located just 10-minutes from the airport with boat transfers available 24 hours a day. Explore our vibrant house reef. Relaxing on the white sandy beach. Swimming in our protected crystal clear lagoon. Treat yourself to an exquisite Maldivian spa treatment. Be energized with the daily scheduled activities, watersports, excursions or scuba diving. Be inspired by the Maldives culture, local food, art and dance. Nine styles of accommodation are spread amongst the island's lush tropical gardens. Eight restaurants, three bars, Maldives best nightly entertainment scene, Kurumba is a perfect holiday destination. Kurumba is the Maldives in Full Colour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Kurumba Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kurumba Maldives Hotel North Male Atoll
- Kurumba Maldives North Male Atoll
- Kurumba Hotel