“A Gem on Long Island” 5 of 5 stars

8985 Main Road, East Marion, NY 11939   |
Brooklyn, New York
“A Gem on Long Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

On the eastern tip of the North Fork of Long Island, nestled in East Marion is Quintessentials. My BFF and I in need of some R&R made the trip to this lovely Spa and B&B. This Victorian house is deceptively large. It is beautifully decorated with a world view. The very sophisticated proprietor, Sylvia is a world traveler and the house reflects this. Upon our arrival, we were greeted with tea and home baked cookies. We were able to distress from the trip before heading up to our room. We were in the Negril room. The room has absolutely beautiful. Due to the warm weather we were able to sit outside on our balcony sipping champagne. It doesn’t get much better than this. Next up: massages and facials. Both services were exquisite.

We took a car ride 8 miles east until you can go no further and you run into the Atlantic Ocean. What a wondrous sight. The village of East Marion has these charming shops and is definitely worth a visit. Wineries abound in this section of Long Island. Tanger outlet is nearby. On our way to Quintessentials and on our way home we stopped in for some power shopping.

I cannot end this review without discussing breakfast. When we entered the dining room it was like stepping back in time to a Caribbean plantation. The color palate invokes the Caribbean. We were served home baked breads. All were outstanding but the coffee cake infused with Jamaican blue mountain coffee was beyond delicious. Every one of the four courses was absolutely delicious and farm fresh.

We were so sad to leave. We have decided to make this an annual retreat. We have reluctantly agreed to include some of our other friends in on this trip. We really want to keep this gem all to ourselves. But that would be selfish. Right?

Room Tip: The Negril room is tucked away in the back of the house.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

it's almost february in new york & feels like spring. what better way to celebrate, than to hop in the car, head out to a beautiful place where you know you'll be welcomed?

we did exactly that & were rewarded with a warm greeting from innkeeper, sylvia; delicious afternoon tea; gorgeous room with extremely comfy bed; delectable breakfast; great company; easy access to all the wonderful things the north fork offers--beach, wine & great food. not to mention spectacular sunrises & sun sets.

thank you, sylvia, for all of quintessentials & thanks mother nature for giving us an unforgettable weekend to enjoy it all.

Room Tip: the entire upstairs is quiet & relaxing, but if you want to be farthest away from all the other...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Massapequa, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

From the moment we walked in the door we knew we picked the right place. Celebrating our honeymoon Sylvia made our stay memorable. She adds to the charm of this historic get-away spot. We ate at some fabulous local restaurants, relaxed and each had a wonderful massage. We're looking forward to returning in the warmer months when her gardens are in bloom. I think my belly is still full from those biscuits!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed in the Brandon Room which was spacious and comfortable. The host, Sylvia, was the right balance of attentive and withdrawn (she gives you your space). I had two spa services (facial and massage) which were professionally performed and reasonably priced. Breakfast was delicious, but served (I thought) a little late, @ 9:45 a.m. I'd go back in a heartbeat though.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I stayed at Quintessentials during the North Fork's House and Garden Tour. Let me tell you, Sylvia has one of the most magnificent gardens that I have ever seen. There is a lovely outdoor sitting space with a cooling fan where I enjoyed brownies and lemonade. The house was spotless and fabulous. We had her famed corn beef hash in the morning and I particularly loved the sweet bread and the mint infused water (so refreshing)! It was quite a relaxing getaway from my busy life in the city. I loved using the jaccuzzi jet tub to relax and wind down. Definitely a great place to stay, especially in the summer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

My friend and I brought our daughters to celebrate their 21st birthdays. Quintessentials was perfect: low key and very relaxing. Right from the start we felt welcome. The bedrooms were clean and decorated in soothing color. Silvia made a hard-to-get reservation for Friday night at a terrific local restaurant, The Frisky Oyster, Breakfast on the patio Saturday morning was delicious and bountiful. We all had great massages in the two massage rooms and then visited a number of local wineries.

Sunday it rained so we had breakfast, again delicious, in the dining room on a beautifully set table.

We were looking for a relaxing, low key weekend to unwind and Quintessentials was the perfect spot. Silvia was a charming but not obtrusive hostess. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011 via mobile

Please consider my suggestions before booking rooms here.
1) far from the beach- a car is a must!
2) this place is downright spooky. I know what one might think that I am very hard to please but no it is not it. The owner, Sylvia, who seems sweeter than honey on the phone is a very bad, cold, incompassionable hostess. Example 1: I cut myself . I grabbed the first towel I saw to stop the bleeding. She charged me $30 for one towel, claiming that blood stains ruined her property.

Example 2: Sylvia has all these insane rules regarding locking the front door. She scolds her guests if the door is left opened.

Example 3: sylvia does not let her guests keep luggage for the day inside upon a check out.

She also thinks that her company is absolutely necessary at breakfast. She sits with you and feeds you not only bad spoiled tomatoes but also her fairy tales of her child hood. If you ask me, I can live without them.

Her garden is roomy but the insects bite you to death. Do not sit out after dark.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Quintessentials Bed and Breakfast and Spa? Share your experiences!