“Near (Not By) The Bluff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of By the Bluff

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Marion
By the Bluff
5405 Rocky Point Rd, East Marion, NY 11939   |
Ranked #2 of 4 East Marion B&B and Inns
Port Washington, New York
“Near (Not By) The Bluff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Unfortunately, the extreme east end of the North Fork has very few B&Bs directly on Long Island Sound. One of the best of these is By the Bluff (which is really “near” the bluff and there is no water view from the premises).

We stayed overnight in BTB's Annie Kate's Master Suite. The bed was huge and very comfortable and the entire place was very clean. Service was excellent, the owners are very knowledgeable about the area and Maurice prepared a great breakfast. They have two very friendly dogs who don't bark at night. The beach is accessible from a steep wooden staircase leading down from top of the bluff. They provided us with sand chairs, large beach towels, ice and glasses for our drinks.

Minor quibbles: The air conditioning was adequate, not great. Also, the beach is pebbly, so bring sand shoes. Finally, if you're lounging in the sand chairs sipping drinks as you watch a gorgeous sunset framed by some of the largest boulders on Long Island Sound, bring some DEET. Otherwise, we enjoyed our stay.

The location is very convenient to the wineries, Orient Point, Shelter Island and Greenport, the latter having a good selection of seafood restaurants.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed at By the Bluff this past weekend to celebrate our 1st year wedding anniversary. Both Patricia and Maurice were so welcoming, along with their adorable and lovable dogs, Daisy and Duffy. We stayed in the Kerry Room and it was just fabulous! Their entire house is SPOTLESS! We were so comfortable there and felt like we were their personal guests, rather than strangers. Breakfast was also amazing! Maurice is a wonderful cook and we didn't feel hungry until later in the afternoon. They have thought of every little detail, which makes it feel very personalized and at home. We are definitely returning, hopefully in the Fall!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at By the Bluff. The home is beautiful and very relaxing. The Inn Keepers were very accommodating and had great attention to detail. Breakfast was delicious and well presented. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in East Marion. It's a close walk to the beach and they have all the amenities you need. It was simply lovely!! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Book in advanve
  • Stayed May 2011
Pawling NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

I had the privilege of staying at this beautiful home and look forward to my next trip. Before I get to the house there is the greeting. Patricia and Maurice make you feel very welcome and you just know you are going to have an enjoyable stay. For us dog lovers getting a greeting from Duffy and Daisy was just what I needed. The home itself is so beautifully decorated yet comfortable and casual. No detail is overlooked - the bedding is so comfortable and luxurious a rainy day would have been a great excuse to stay in bed and read a good book. The weather was great and there was plenty to do nearby -shopping, golf, the wineries and of course the LI sound right nearby--I felt like I had the beach to myself. Relaxing on the rear patio and just looking up at the stars was great. There was no cover charge for watching the 2 dogs (Daisy and Duffy ) playing -although I would have paid the fee! I have tried to dupiicate the breakfast Maurice served --but it is not the same.

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally charming
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Bronxville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

The service was the best I have ever had and I travel frequently. The breakfast was fit for a queen and that is how the Scannell's make you feel.The rooms are immaculate with the best in sheets, towels, with attention paid to every detail for a traveler. "By the Bluff" is located in walking distance to the beach in a beautiful residential area close to fabulous wineries and the main town which is quaint, picturesque and charming with great restaurants suiting all taste. I can't say enough about my visit and am looking forward to going back soon with my husband. I have recommended "By the Bluff" numerous times and no one has ever been disappointed. Like I said MAGNIFICENT!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We visited "By The Bluff Bed and Breakfast" for my wifes birthday and can't wait to go back. My wife couldn't get enough of their two St. Bernard's, Daisy and Duffy, which made leaving our dog behind a little easier. The innkeeper's Patricia and Maurice couldn't be nicer and made us feel like family. The added touch of placing a candle in my wife's eggs at breakfast to help celebrate her birthday was a thoughtful touch we won't forget. The rooms were extremely clean and beautifully decorated. The grounds were also immaculately maintained. One of the best things about the location of the bed and breakfast is its proximity to the water. Its just a short walk along a dirt path, down a few steps and you have one of the best views on the North Shore. They are also very close to the town of Greenport were there is a lot of things to do like shopping, eating and water activities. In all our stay was very relaxing and we felt like we were on vacation far from home. We highly recommend this B and B and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

My husband and I had a great anniversary away at By the Bluff in July. The inn keepers were warm, friendly, and accommodating. The rooms were well decorated and the sheets were super soft! Great breakfast in the morning. The beach at the end of the road is beautiful. We look forward to visiting the North Fork and staying at By the Bluff again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to By the Bluff? Share your experiences!