“worth the trip” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant in East Marion, NY serves authentic Greek cuisine and a great selection of local wine, local harvest and local seafood. The portions are plentiful and great for all occasions! We offer year round indoor dining and either full outdoor dining or covered outdoor dining in our enclosed pavilion. It is heated and available year round for catering. We also cater off-premise in your home, on the waterfront or at your favorite winery.
Stony Brook, New York
“worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

After coming from the ferry at orient Point, we hoped to find a place for dinner, even though it was almost 10 pm. We went in and asked if we could be served. The owner was in and said we could have a seat for dinner. This was a Sat. evening and they were almost ready to close. The staff could not have been nicer or more gracious. We were 3 people and ordered various dishes, all prepared deliciously. We agreed this was the best food outside of Greece. We told our daughter about our experience and she had the same experience on her last visit. A delightful experience.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
HellenicII, Owner at Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for going out of your way to share your positive experience with us online. I am George Giannaris. I do not believe we met that evening. Please introduce yourself the next time that you are in the area. I look forward to seeing you again!

Greenport, New York
“Never going back...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

It's been a long time since I had eaten anything from this restaurant. Actually for years all I ever ordered was the gyro to take out. But just recently I decided to actually sit down and eat there and order something different on the menu. As soon as my friend and I got there we felt uncomfortable. The place was such a disorder, tables were dirty, there were no bussers to clean up since I noticed the chef's wife attempting to clean up. When I ordered my beverage and received it, the waitress asked me if it was okay... Because she has messed up on the drink so she was scared it didn't taste good... That's exactly what she said.. Um who says that? If you messed up fix the problem because having the customers find out or don't say anything. I had noticed something was off but I wasn't going to say anything. It took foreverrrr for the waitress to take our food order too and to bring out the food. When we finally got our food, it was cold and not well seasoned. For the prices I expected way better. When we finished it also took forever for our waitress to come and check on us although the place was not busy as all considering it was a Monday. Definitely not coming back. Such a bad experience, things need to be changed for this place to continue functioning the way they used to.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Knowing what went wrong does not make up for your negative experience. We were packed on that Monday. You must have dined inside or after the rush. A hostess had an emergency and could not come in. I called my wife to come help out, and the waitress who served you, probably had a Russian accent. She was a new hire. I'm George Giannaris, the owner and was there that night. I wish that you had asked for a manager before you posted your bad experience online. You seem adamant about never returning. If you choose differently, since you are from Greenport, please see me. I will make it up to you.
Lake Grove, New York
“Terrible Management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stopped here with our family of 6 during our day out on the North Fork. We'd been here before and enjoy the food. However, I am writing this review based on our dissatisfaction with the management. My son's GF ordered a salad and specifically asked for "no celery". The salad came and there was celery (just like the last time she ordered this salad a few weeks earlier). Since she was so hungry she decided to just pick the celery out. It wasn't a big deal. We didn't say anything. When we were done eating the waitress came over to the table and saw the plate of celery (which was about 1/3 of the salad) and she said "Oh, is that celery? I'm sorry, I wrote down no celery" and proceeded to double check her ticket. She then said "Let me go talk to them and see if I can get that taken off the bill". She disappeared into the back and a few minutes later had a different person bring us the bill with nothing taken off. My family and I were shocked and decided to just let it go because we didn't want to cause any issues. As we were leaving the restaurant I turned around and noticed my husband was still on the back patio and I could see him speaking to the waitress who served us. It turns out that she went to speak to the manager and was told that they could not take the salad off the bill because it was partially eaten. HUH? That is how you run a business? It was partially eaten because my son's GF was not going to make a big deal about the fact that there was celery in her salad. She could have made a big deal...I could have made a big deal because this was the 2nd time it happened. But we chose to leave it alone. Your waitress made the statement the she would try to get it taken off the bill. And once we heard the management's ridiculous statement we had no choice than to leave this review. That is not how you run a business Hellenic Snack Bar. I'm not too excited to come back anytime soon. The waitress was apologetic and even said to my husband that she would take the money out of her pocket and give it to him. He of course said absolutely not! Very disappointed in how the manager handled this. We dined in this restaurant twice over the last month and spent well over $250. Going to think more than twice about coming again.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
HellenicII, Owner at Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Danielle, what you experienced is NOT our policy at all. I am concerned because new hires often do not grasp policy right away. I assure you that the message you received was not from a manager. I am the owner and if you were here, it is unlikely that I was not here at the same time also, and me or my manager handle these situations in person. You seem to be an honest reviewer and I would ask that you PLEASE allow me the opportunity to make it up to you. Ask for me in person. George Giannaris.
“What are you waiting for? Try this place out :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I went to this place last month and had Greek food for the first time. I have to say that was the best experience for the first time ever. Not only the food was good, the environment and the people are very nice and welcoming also. It was busy at the time I went to visit (on a week day) but the time from ordering to having the food on my table was fairly quick. I got Greek wine and raspberry lemonade, very nice booze and lovely wine taste. I would recommend this place for everybody whether you decide to try it as individual or come as a party. I'm sure they can handle y'all since they just expanded their business capacity :D

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
George G, Owner at Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
We're so glad we were able to give you your first Greek experience, Tu! It was our pleasure to show you the ropes, and I love hearing how much you enjoyed yourself. Hope to see you back again this summer to explore the menu some more.

All the best,
George at the Hellenic, Owner
Smyrna, Tennessee
“A great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I really enjoyed my food and service at The Hellenic Snack bar and Restaurant. I felt like family while I was there, getting to know George, and his wonderful parents and family. The burger that I had was well cooked and the tomato, so delicious. I did get the chance to sample a coffee infused vodka, with homemade Greek whip cream and coffee liquor. The NY style cheesecake was fluffy, and decadant, served with Häagen-Dazs ice cream. I liked my first visit there so much, I even went a second before I had to depart to home in Nashville, TN. My experience at The Hellenic was certainly epicurious.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
George G, Owner at Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
It was our pleasure to have you here! Thanks for letting us know how much you enjoyed your burger and everything that followed. I hope your trip home to Tennessee went smoothly and that you'll be back to see us again the next time you're in New York!

All the best,