“Wonderful service at the Mill House Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mill House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Hampton
Mill House Inn
You added Mill House Inn to your Saves list
31 North Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 17 East Hampton B&B and Inns
NYC
“Wonderful service at the Mill House Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

What a fabulous experience! We've been to the Hamptons many times before but never were we made to feel so at home as we were at The Mill House. From the killer breakfast (so good it has to be tried to be believed) to the recommendations and help getting a dinner reservation, everything about the service was top notch. The room was quite comfortable (I love featherbeds and plush down pillows), and the location was perfect. Thanks to the Mullers and their staff - we'll be back soon!

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — A bit far to walk to the beach
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Montreal, Qc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

Don’t stay there. Ever. Camp outside in a park if you must, but don’t give your money to these people.

It was pouring in East Hampton this week, so we tried to check in early, 1pm instead of 2. When we finally found him, the guy that was there (I think he was the owner, I don’t remember him introducing himself to us) informed us the room wasn’t ready and, instead of offering us to settle in the living or dining room, told us almost rudely to go have lunch somewhere else before offering us beach passes – it was still raining cats and dogs, many streets were under a feet of water and there was report of an actual tornado on Long Island! When we came back after lunch, he showed us around, taking apparently great pride in the fact that cookies and hot water were offered all day, explaining to us that they were famous for their breakfasts and that “breakfast was a big part of it”. Of what? I wondered, and I started feeling a bit uneasy. Then he showed us the room. It was small, dingy, with one of those awful air-conditioning boxes stuck in the windows blowing noisily. The bed, as we found out later, must have been 15 years old, it caved in when we lied down (just in case you wonder, my husband weighs 165 pds and I 110…) and the pillows were as flat as pancakes. But that wasn’t the worst. The bathroom looked like it was renovated by an ungifted amateur in the 80s: white and pink square tiles that had seen better days, erratic painting, and it wasn’t particularly clean either. There were tons of scratches, big and small, on the walls, as well as black stuff in the corners and on the floor (I preferred not to examine those to closely) and mold around the bathtub, a cheap horrible old whirlpool thing. Needless to say we didn’t venture in. At night, the two of us stuck in the middle of the bed that had taken the form of a spoon, we could distinctly hear people talking (quietly, thank God!) in 2 other rooms. The room became incredibly hot around 2am, but I couldn’t bring myself to start the loud air-conditioning which had given us a chilly humid draft during the afternoon. After a couple hours sleep, I woke up with a sore neck and the desire to flee this place.
We had booked for three nights, but it was so awful we decided to leave at dawn after that first, so I can’t tell if the breakfast would actually have been “a big part of it”. However, I doubt it would have been worth the 500$ (that’s right) we paid for the night. In case you are wondering, the guy didn’t even ask why we were leaving. Without the slightest apology, he took full payment for the 3 nights we were supposed to stay (more than 1500$), as if it was business as usual for him. Which I guess it was.
I have never felt the need to write a review for a hotel before, but since this was the worst experience I have ever had sleeping anywhere (and I have been both to summer camp and boarding school!), I thought it was worth warning others about this awful place.
If you are planning a trip to East-Hampton, I highly recommend The 1770 House, where we stayed the 2 previous days, and which was absolutely charming.

• Liked — Theoverwhelming relief I felt when we drove away!
  • Disliked — Tired and ugly room&bathroom; ridiculously high price
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MHIeh, Lee Ellis - General Manager at Mill House Inn, responded to this review, August 3, 2007
Management, staff, and proprietors of the Mill House Inn strive to exceed guest expectations – from initial greeting to well past check out, we willingly go the extra mile to create an exemplary guest experience. That includes how we handle a guest who is in any way dissatisfied. In 2005, the Mill House received a multimillion dollar renovation, even though previous renovations are not ten years old. We only furnish with the best: Old Biscayne iron beds, the Best Sealy mattresses, featherbeds, Mascioni sheets and towels, and 100% Polish 850 goose down pillows and comforters. Rooms at the Mill House are inspected daily by our quality assurance manager, and all these items are inspected and replaced as needed to assure continuing quality. We have never received a complaint regarding a lack of excellence in housekeeping. The Mill House offers smaller B&B-style accommodations as well as expansive suites, and the well-maintained baths and high quality LG AC units in our smaller B&B rooms are appropriate for that style of room and the price charged. As part of our continuing program of upgrades throughout the property, all B&B rooms are scheduled for significant upgrades, including central AC and new bathrooms, in the coming year.

We make every effort to direct each guest to an appropriate room. We apologize when lack of availability does not allow a guest to book the room of their choice. In this instance, the guests had chosen their rooms from the pictures on our website, which are accurate, so there should not have been any surprises. They were scheduled to move into a larger room for the second and third nights of their stay, but as it happened, this larger room was also available on the first night. They did not wish to inspect the larger room, but chose to stay in the smaller and less expensive room.

When we accept a booking, we also ask guests about their arrival time, and schedule housekeeping to match room availability with guest arrival. Although 3PM is our stated check in time, we gladly check bags, complete all formalities, and verify dinner reservations any time after 1pm. We issue beach passes, local maps and our weekly calendar of events. All our guests are offered complimentary beverages, fresh fruit, and fresh baked cookies and biscotti; if they haven’t had lunch, we will recommend our favorite choices. Of course, guests are immediately welcome to make themselves at home in the cozy living room or on the front porch, this goes without saying. In the rare instance that a room is not ready due to an early check in we always manage to show our guest to their room, baggage delivered and accommodations inspected, in less than 30 minutes. In this instance the room was certainly inspected and made ready within 30 minutes of their unexpected 12:30 arrival.

Our policy regarding early departures is clear in stating that guests are responsible for their entire reservation. In this case the reservation was actually four nights and management, hoping to make our guests happy, released all responsibility for the last night of the guests’ reservation. When they checked out after only one night, as a gesture that we were sorry to see them leave early, we offered a complimentary night should they return to The Mill House Inn. Management feels that these guests will be thrilled with one of our suites, our breakfast, and a couple of sunny days on the beach “their stated reason for booking.” We sincerely hope they return.

Sylvia & Gary Muller, Lee Ellis, & the entire staff of The Mill House Inn

New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

I contacted Inn directly to reserve 2 rooms for 2 nites, only to learn of a 3 nite minimum. My son and I arrived for a weekend celebration of my daughter's birthday. She had recommended the Inn, although had never visited it herself. Son was shown tiny room on 2nd floor, I was taken to 3rd floor attic room. Comments re my room: had noisy portable air conditioner sitting in middle of room with flex hose exhausting out one of the 2 windows in the room, held shut with black tape; the Inn, and the room, is decorated in arts & crafts style - brown leather chairs, brown rug, brown furniture; had no closet just a small wardrobe that was too short for dresses and which wrinkled the hanging clothing; there were 3 lamps with low illumination not good enough to read by; the tiny unairconditioned, no window bathroom had a high sided whirlpool tub with no grab bar to hold onto to enter and exit; other than the toilet tank there was nowhere to sit a toiletries bag; over the 3 nights we stayed the sheets were never changed - not even smoothed out; the comfortable bed I read others comment about did not exist in my room - there was a feather bed mattress pad over a thin hard mattress, and while the pillows were indeed soft they did not prop one up to read or watch tv in bed. My son asked for an extra blanket, he was told there were none. As I mentioned, the Inn is decorated in arts & crafts style, which can be very charming. Unfortunately, there was no attempt to create a cheerful atmosphere other than the multitudes of fake flowers, eleven arrangements in the living room alone. With regard to that breakfast all seem to rave about - unless the visitor enjoys mixes of multiple ingredients with high doses of herb of choice by the chef, they will not be able to find a suitable simple meal. After two unsatisfactory morning choices, I decided to simplify my order on the last day. I specifically request smoked fish, multi grain toast and sauted onions served separate from each other, with the intent I would make my own combo. What arrived was the fish and onion mixed together with toast points arranged on top, in a casserole. I explained that it was not how I had placed the order, the server returned to the kitchen and I head her explain the problem. My original meal was returned to me, with a piece of toast on the side accompanied by an attitude of the proprietor who brought it to me herself. I will say the fresh fruit and orange juice were delicious - but the rest of the meals offerred would have made me happy at dinner, not early morning. In addition, the entry/exit door is in the breakfast dining room and people leaving were carrying suitcases passed diners as they ate. The rooms at $425 and $625 with tax and service charge brought the nightly charge to around $1,270.00 for two rooms, each night. I have since made calls to return to the area and called American Hotel and Bridgehampton Inn. There were no minimums, and the room charges quoted for August were $275 and $325 respectively. I have stayed at American Hotel previously found the room to be large, bright and beautiful and the room charge includes an exceptional fresh breakfast. I have no interest in returning to Mill House Inn.

• Liked — the garden
  • Disliked — the inn
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
MHIeh, Lee Ellis - General Manager at Mill House Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2007
The Mill House Inn places guest satisfaction at the top of our agenda each day. So much so that our small inn designates one employee’s sole responsibility to ensure that the needs of each guest are fulfilled in an exceptional manner. We were dismayed to learn of the family’s discomfort at The Mill House particularly in view of the positive comments we received during their stay.

Décor at The Mill House Inn may be best described as a warm, comfortable, relaxed and informal. Each room is different and well portrayed on our website, allowing guests to choose accommodations appropriate to their choice of style and budget. We have been in publications highlighting our décor and many guests have persuaded us to reveal the source for our furnishings, bedding and paint colors. Our flowers are the best quality silk available and fresh from our gardens. Décor is a matter of individual taste and ours seems to make our guests feel at home in the Hamptons.

Our beds are the best mattresses Sealy offers, extra thick featherbed, and 100% 850 goose down pillows and comforters. There are additional blankets, throws and pillows in every room and suite. Each room has four down pillows as well as 3 firm 20” squares placed appropriately for reading or watching television. Each light in the room is on a dimmer and the 60W light bulb is bright enough to read by. If we were alerted to this lighting issue we certainly would have assisted with the dimmer or delivered another lighting fixture if one was found to be defective.

The extra blanket requested by this guest was delivered to their room just after they checked in; at which time they were out for a late evening walk. It should be noted that they checked in after hours and our evening staff gladly waited for their late arrival, directing them to the village and offering any other assistance that might be necessary.

Housekeeping at the Mill House Inn occurs twice each day; during breakfast service and again in the evening. At this time towels are replaced, beds are fully made and turned down, bottled water is replenished, lighting is adjusted and soft music turned on the radio. An evening note from the management detailing the next day’s weather and spotlight events along with fine chocolates are placed upon the pillow. Certainly any other guest requests from champagne & strawberries or simply popcorn & a movie will be gladly accommodated.

The Mill House offers smaller B&B-style accommodations as well as expansive suites. The well-maintained baths and high quality LG AC units in our smaller B&B rooms are appropriate for that style of room and the price charged. Our rates and minimum stay requirements are well in line with comparable accommodations in our region.

With regard to breakfast at The Mill House Inn, our menu is extensive with over twenty entrees. From the simplicity of Irish Oatmeal, Brioche French Toast, Blueberry or Banana Buttermilk Pancakes, “create your own omelet” or “eggs any style.” Tray of fresh fruits and fresh orange juice squeezed each morning and a variety of breads and cereals balance out the simple selections. We certainly do go the extra mile with the likes of crayfish & andouille étouffée omelet, chicken sausage hash, chorizo & eggs, breakfast pizzas and sandwiches, even a breakfast version of macaroni & cheese. Believing each guest possesses a distinctive palette, The Mill House kitchen endeavors to have something for everyone! Our guests must agree as they have voted to award us a “28” for food in the 2007 Zagat Hotel Survey.

At no time during their stay did these guests voice any discontent with their accommodations or even afford the Inn and its ownership or management the opportunity to try and make their stay more comfortable; a chance all of us would have valued.

Sylvia & Gary Muller, Lee Ellis, & the entire staff of The Mill House Inn

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2007

We had the pleasusre of staying at the Mill House Inn for three nights last month.

On arrival we were greeted and shown around our fabulous suite which was decorated with style and comfort in mind. There were beautiful pictures on the walls from the Hamptons Classic event and gorgeous lamps and furniture completed the look.

The bed was the most comfortable ever- like sleeping on a cloud! Handmade soaps and chocolates on the pillow added a personal touch.

The breakfasts were amazing- but be warned- they are massive! Lots to choose from- a simple fruit salad to a gourmet ommlette!

Also, coffee, hot cider and cookies were available around the clock for snacks.

The owners and managers made us feel completely at home and were on hand to help us with any questions we had on the area. I'll be going back..........

• Liked — The hospitality
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
York, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

My new wife and I traveled to Long Island for our honeymoon and had a very relaxing stay at the Mill House Inn. The Gallery Suite was very homely and the location is great. Each day we woke to eat a VERY substantial breakfast and then headed to the beach to walk it off. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They even let us buy some of the soaps to take home as gifts! If you can eat a whole omelet by yourself you might receive a gold star on your forehead... but beware! You will be more than stuffed!

Highly recommended Bed & Breakfast... by far the best I have been to.

• Liked — Relaxing and Friendly
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

Amazing property and staff!! Stayed for 3 nights in mid Feb 2007.

The property includes the original structure (from eighteen century) and a new addition (only a couple years old), which is a standalone building. We stayed in the newer building and it was fantastic.

It was expensive, but we felt like we got our money's worth. Plus, we estimate that we received $200 worth of goodies that other properties would have charged for (i.e., free AMAZING breakfast each morning, bottle water in room was free, free bottle of champaigne, etc). Our room was called the Captain's Quarters and was designed to match the theme. The room included 2 nice flat screen TVs (though I felt they should have gone a little bigger with both sets), built in wall speaker system through out the room (living room, bathroom, and bedroom), nice king sized bed, comfortable furniture, and high end bathroom. I would say my biggest complaint about the bedroom was the noise. The walls seemed a little thin, so I felt that my neighbors could he us and we could hear them to a certain degree.

With regards to the daily breakfast... out of this world!! Very good service and delicious food. Everything I had was incredible. I usually like to sleep in / lay around, but I made sure I was in the dining room by 10am each morning.

The location was nice as it is in walking distance of a nice shopping area that includes a movie theater, restaurants, and lots of shops (high end, bouquet, etc). If you want something right on the beach (walking distance), this location is not for you. The beach is only a short drive away thought. This was not important to us given the time of year we stayed.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Our room and the food
  • Disliked — thin walls in the new building
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

Stayed here for a couple of nights mid-week in June and had one of the most relaxed few days of my life. The breakfasts are indescribably good, I've never had better breakfasts in my life. The beds are perfectly soft and amazingly comfortable. The rooms aren't large, but don't feel cramped. The beach parking pass that they provide is an extremely important perk. The service was professional and they covered all the bases, with details like local maps and dining recommendations and cookies throughout the day, though neither the staff nor the guests were especially warm (this is the Hamptons after all). So I wouldn't necessarily suggest staying here for the experience of meeting new people. The room prices are extremely high, but again, this is the Hamptons. So as long as you can forget about the cost of staying here, the Mill House is a great experience.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The aloofness of the staff and guests
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mill House Inn? Share your experiences!