“...A rare treasure in an archeological dig!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mill House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Hampton
Mill House Inn
Save Saved
You added Mill House Inn to your Saves list
31 North Main Street, East Hampton, NY 11937   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 17 East Hampton B&B and Inns
new york
“...A rare treasure in an archeological dig!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

Discovering the Mill House Inn is like finding a rare treasure in an archeological dig.
Two nights in one of the luscious beds will renew anyone’s faith in the power of a weekend. If you prefer the adventure of a back road to the predictability of the highway and the small town charm of a B&B to the largess of a hotel, The Mill House Inn in East Hampton, NY is an absolute “must do.” Once tried, you will be indelibly changed for the better and forever a fan. The place; breathtaking, the bedding; dreamy, Sylvia & Gary (the proprietors) and Lee (the Innkeeper); like family, the breakfast; the most amazingly, mouthwatering, gastronomic delight to ever greet the day. Two years ago, My boyfriend and I stayed here, a year later we got engaged here then, a year after that, brought 20 of our closest friends and family to the Mill House Inn for a weekend, wedding celebration. In a word, the Mill House Inn is "PERFECT"!
Jodi & Alan Spen

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Geraldton, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

This is the most expensive B&B I have ever stayed in but East Hampton lives up to all the stereotypes. The Mill House is a traditional US New England home and is beautiful and apparently the bar although closed will soon reopen which is going to add a great social aspect.
Forgetting the bar though, go to the local supermarket grab some beers and sit on the veranda watching those that can drive past in cars that I can only dream of owning. Would I go again? Absolutely. Would I stay at the Mill House? Again absolutely.
Cannot recommend the place enough East Hampton is a place where the mega rich hang out for very good reason.
Oh and take the Jitney out from Manhattan, so much a part of the experience.

• Liked — Location and class
  • Disliked — Very pricey but all of East Hampton is
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bucks, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

Located just a few hundred yards from the centre of E. Hampton, Mill House Inn is a great place to spend a few nights. All of South Fork and Shelter Island is within easy reach. We stayed in the Hemmingway Suite and it was delightful with big bathroom, lounge area with large fireplace (operational) and views over the gardens (which are the owners joy). Breakfast is the only meal served in the inn but can be taken in the room. Europeans beware! The breakfasts are huge! Quality is excellent but some of the dishes were, to our taste, more lunch in style. We cracked it by ordering a la carte and asking for small portions! Very friendly staff and owners. Good lounge and deck for sitting and thinking/reading. It isn't cheap but then nothing in this part of Long Island is.

• Liked — The friendly service an the quality of our room.
  • Disliked — The breakfast was a little overwhelming but this is USA
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

My husband & I have just returned from a two night stay at the Mill House Inn. We loved our stay there from the enormous breakfast in the morning, the 24 hour cookies & the most comfortable bed ever. We would highly reccomend this place especially if you are after somewhere to relax to unwind.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

The Mill House Inn is so lovely - we stayed in the Captains Suite and I fell in love with the room. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever stayed in, fresh squeezed juice per my request in the fridge, and I loved the black dog on our bed! The bath was heaven. Our porch with comfortable sitting was just wonderful. Lee checked us in and was so helpful. The train at night made me jump a mile the first time we heard it, but we got used to that. The mixed bag part came at breakfast. A man was there, from another country, at a table next to us. He asked the wife of Lee (whose name I don't recall) said he had to leave, breakfast was not over, but he had to leave anyway. She (the owner) proceeded to tell him repeatedly that if he had only called, they would have delivered breakfast to his room and he could have finished it in a timely way. She almost chided him about it. Its lovely to be able to offer great options like breakfast in your room, but to sort of come down sort of hard on people because they didn't take advantage of the option, seems a bit of an attitude to me. The poor guy, I felt bad for him. Our breakfast was so good, the fresh fruit selection was heavenly especially, but somehow, the way the man looked like he had been disciplined a bit when he left, made me sad. The Inn offers everything you could want, no question about it, but perhaps graciousness is best given quietly and with flexibility. I'll always remember this place, lying in the heavenly bed, the sound of birds in the morning outside the window, the lovely gardens and quietness of the day there, sharing a great shower with my husband. But we might not return. And I'm guessing neither will the breakfast man. There is so much to running an Inn, and I know these folks try very hard, but if they read this, I'm hoping they might see a touch of overbearingness in the pursuit of providing everything anyone could ever want in an Inn.

• Liked — The Captains Suite
  • Disliked — The attitude of the wife owner
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
South Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2008

The Mill House Inn, East Hampton, Long Island, New York

Initially, I thought it was too expensive, after all we were on a business trip and we are self employed. We usually save luxury inns for vacation travel. But we travel with our fabulous dog, 'Leroy,' a black lab and, after all, it is the Hamptons. For me, it was the surprise of all the extras. For my husband, it was the overall great feeling of relaxing in our suite. He slipped into the deep leather chair, flicked on the flat screen TV and shifted from the driving/work mode into 'yep this is Valentine's Day and I didn't have to plan a thing.' There were perfect fresh roses in the vase. (Initially, we had scheduled our trip the week before. Turns out, the timing coincided perfectly for a stay at a romantic, week-day, off-season getaway.) Everything at the Mill House Inn was wonderful, especially seeing my hard working husband relax.

The suite was equipped with a kitchenette, so to save money on an expensive dinner out on 'amateurs night,' where there would be waits and price fix meals, we opted to eat in. There are a number of great markets in the Hamptons with ready-to-go gourmet foods-- so we focused on Italian, the food of love.

As I said before, for me, it's the little things that matter most: The king size feather bed atop an incredibly comfortable mattress, the early evening turndown service house keeper who arrived to fluff up our down pillows, smooth out crisp-soft white sheets and wish us goodnight. Our private balcony deck that offered a wide open view of the stars, Handmade cookies, marvelous cheese and fruit to cheer our travel-weary selves upon arrival. There were other extras too-- a gift box of note cards that the photographer-owner designed, a free really cool laminated map of the area, the carefully considered lists of things to do and pre-arrival emails reminding us to make dinner reservations in advance. And the bathroom? Suuuper nice and understated, with a deep bath tub for two, a separate double shower for two, all natural hand cut soaps, bath salts, shampoos and lotions. And breakfast? Waaaay over the top, big, yummy and with table service.

B&B's are all so different; you never know what to expect in terms of service and amenities. The Mill House Inn in East Hampton was worth every penny. I was glad they included gratuities so we didn't have to wonder how many staff worked so hard to make everything so perfect.

P.S. Leroy seemed very happy too-- silver water and food bowls were set out for his arrival, with yummy dog treats on the counter and handy waste bags too. (We bring his comfy bed everywhere so he lounged around too.)

• Liked — pets allowed and luxurious
  • Disliked — a bit of door opening and closing noise out in hall in building with suites
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

My coworkers and I were on a travel assignment in the Hamptons during December. Because we were dissatisfied with the hotel that we originally booked, we started looking for other hotels in the area. Through a suggestion from someone who works in the area and reading the reviews, we chose to stay at Mill House Inn. I was a bit worried because I had never stayed at a B&B before in all my personal and work travel. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay! I love the complimentary cookies and the Apple Cider! The rooms were so cozy! The fireplace kept my room very warm! Although I didn't have time to read, I loved the collection of books they had. They also have good dvd's you can watch in your room. The breakfast won me over time and time again! I've never had anything that could remotely compare to both the great taste and portion of the breakfast! The staff and owner are great and extremely helpful! I will definitely stay at Mill House Inn again and will tell my other coworkers to stay there as well! Thank you Mill House for a great experience!

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mill House Inn? Share your experiences!