“Lovely garden!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 17 East Hampton B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Lovely garden!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Were staying at my sisters in East Hampton and decidedto go to the Maidstone for drinks and appetizers. We sat in the garden and it was charmmg with great service from a very friendly team. I have had dinner in the garden befre and it is delightful and very relaxing. Woiuld recommemd to anyone looking for a beautiful garen ambience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My 2 grown daughters and I took a ride out to the Maidstone Arms for an overnight trip. From the moment we arrived we were greeted with open arms. The room we stayed in was called The Kirbit Suite. It was absolutely charming with a fireplace, farm table in the kitchen and homey feel. The hotel itself has an elegant charm. We had cocktails on the front porch as we looked out into East Hampton. The restaurant has a fabulous brunch as well as diner menu. The hotel is situated walking distance to all the stores and restaurants. I felt like I had been on a mini vacation when I was leaving on Sunday. Though the hotel is very pricey it is worth every penny!

Room Tip: Kibit Suite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at c/o The Maidstone, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Debbie, thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure having you and your daughters here. I know we have been talking about you coming out again for a weekend, I hope you will find a date that works for you soon - We will be waiting for you:)
Warmest
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was our second stay, and my partner surprised me so I was over the moon when we pulled up.

I travel a lot for my work and have stayed in many high end hotels and know I am picky as a result of being spoiled at many.

First things first the welcome is outstanding and the staff really make you feel like you are welcome and it's clear they genuinely care about their guests. Our room was in the main house and reading some of the past reviews from people who don't like old windows or slightly slanting floors made me think that you really need to embrace this is a historical building so that's part of the charm. Give me that any day over a souless new build. The bed is great and I loved the quirky design of the room.

We had dinner in the restaurant and also enjoyed a game of scrabble by the fireplace. It's not cheap, but then nothing in the Hamptons is.

The stay was too short one night, and I so enjoyed it I might just surprise my partner back and return there during Spring Break!

Room Tip: I love the Orange room purely as it has a cool seating area as well as the room space. It faces out...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at c/o The Maidstone, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your words, you made our day! Hope to see you soon again and wish you a wonderful Easter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed in this great hotel for a conference for three nights. It was a dream, great food and wine, very friendly staff and GMs and comfy beads. The rooms are all different designs, i stayed in the Karen Blixen room and I will ask for this room next time as well. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2013
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at c/o The Maidstone, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
It was such a pleasure to have you here with us! Thank you so much for writing about your experience. I hope we will see you and your team again soon again. I am also happy that you liked the Karen Blixen room, it is really one of my own favorites; good size, quiet and with a nice bathroom.
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

There are many positive aspects to the Maidstone - friendly welcome, nice cozy layout (particularly for families), individually decorated rooms but we will remember our stay for the artic temperatures of the bedroom, restaurant and particularly bathroom!

The wind blowing through the patheticly designed and ill-fitted windows and down the chimney made it feel like we were at sea! The heating system blew a tepid breath of wind back at the incoming assault but its efforts just weren't up to the job. The bathroom was only accessible to the brave for brief periods in robes! We even had to run the shower for 10mins in the morning just to take the chill out of the air.

The restaurant temperature wasn't much better with many guests wearing coats and scarves. Although some near the open fires were probably baking!

We ate both nights of our stay and the food is above average. The menu is a little limited and our desserts of choice weren't available on both nights. But there was a large local clientele which bodes well for the place.

A little Sweedish inginunity wouldn't go amiss in upgrading the windows and/or heating system or even a cheap length of draft excluder in the 1/2" gap around the exposed window frames would possibly go some way to reduce the chilly draft. I doubt that this would be accepted in any of the Maidstone's sister hotels in Stockholm so why should it be here?

As well as the cold outside, these windows do little to attenuate the traffic noise from the busy road outside.

There are many positives as mentioned but probably best not to stay until summer and then at a room away from the traffic noise.

• Stayed March 2013
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at c/o The Maidstone, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Mr D,
It was a pleasure having you, your wife and your baby as our guests for the past 2 nights, but when reading your review I feel a bit puzzled and actually surprised.

What is puzzeling is not that you have written about us, that is always highly appreciated, but rather that you didn't mention anything to us about the lack of heat you are describing. You didn't ask us to have a look at it, you didn't ask for extra blankets, you didn't ask for an extra heater (yes, we do have both extra heaters and extra coolers since we all are different), and you didn't ask if we had another room. Finally, upon checking out, you mentioned in bypassing the lack of heat, but did not ask for any kind of compensation, which we of course gave you anyway.

Why suffer for 2 nights first? I feel horrible knowing that you all were so cold and it could easily have been avoided.

You are correct in that we do have old windows; that comes with the historic building. I wouldn't call them pathetically designed, perhaps old and not very efficient (and yes, high heating/cooling costs comes with it.)

But in your room the temperature at the time of your departure was 72 both in bathroom and bedroom. I am happy about that, since it means the system is working, but next time you are visiting us we will raise the temperature to 74 in your room and give you a room facing the garden - I think you would like the Edvard Munch, which is also one of the rooms where we sadly had to replace the old charming windows with new ones.

I am also happy to hear that you felt welcomed, liked the Scandinavian cozy style, and found that our food was above average.

Kindest Regards
Sophie B Hindmarsh
Copiague, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We recently went to the Maidstone's Living Room restaurant for our anniversary. First, we were greeted warmly by Leon our bartender/waiter. He was delightful and very attentive. After wonderful drinks at the bar, we were seated by the fire and had the most delicious meal. Although it is not inexpensive, we felt it was worth the cost. From beginning to end, this establishment is first class.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CareOf H, General Manager at c/o The Maidstone, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your dinner with us and that you took the time to write about it. We all hope to see you soon again

Kindest
Sophie B Hindmarsh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

These folks actually listen. Sophie, Adam and the staff are terrific.They get the solving the cranky customer service thing! Food at the Living Room restaurant is excellent. Best barman, Henri, on the east end. Hey, there are no bargains at the top hostelries in East Hampton but this is a very good bet! Wes

• Stayed January 2013
CareOf H, General Manager at c/o The Maidstone, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Wes,
we so enjoyed having the two of you here! Thank you for your kind words even though we had the "mess" we had. We all highly appreciated your understanding - and a lesson is learnt. G will never forget you (in a positive way) We hope to see you both again.
Stay warm in the cold
Sophie

Been to c/o The Maidstone? Share your experiences!