“Two Thumbs Way Down” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Babette's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 53 restaurants in East Hampton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Dining style: Casual Dining
New York, New York, United States
“Two Thumbs Way Down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had heard that this place was great, and boy couldn't that be more wrong. Where to begin? I got the $25 grilled chicken, avocado, and mozzarella on toast which was pretty decent but the sauteed onions were extremely greasy and made the bread soggy. I asked if my sandwich came with a side of sweet potato fries, to which the waitress said yes, then when I ordered it I specified again "with the sweet potato fries", and she brought me a fruit cup on the side instead. Then, when the fries arrives they were soggy and not seasoned well. Considering how strictly average it was, it is surprising that the food was the best part.

The prices at Babette's are laughable. $26 for a burger & fries + $3 each if you want any toppings. For the vegetarians out there, be prepared to spend $26 on a Tempeh Reuben.

The service was also awful. We arrived and were told it would be "about 15 minutes" by the hostess. 20 minutes later, I checked in with her and she told me that she couldn't tell me how much longer it would be, but if I wanted to walk around for 10 more minutes that would be fine. Then, she called my name on the list and when I walked over she was nowhere to be found. It was also hard to get the waitresses' attention when they all stand by the register talking instead of paying attention to their customers.

Finally, the people who go to Babette's are just not worth being around. They are the typical "Hamptons" cliches and if you are the kind of person who wants to avoid this and exorbitant prices for average food, please do not go to Babette's.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

48% Recommend
New York
“Did I Just Pay $24.95 for a Veggie Burger?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I did...and it was only okay. My dining companion ordered a tofu avocado sandwich for nearly $20 and it too was only okay. The food is formulaic and soulless. I eat there maybe twice a year and always feel under satisfied and over charged. I think this was the last time. I imagine that the rent there has to be astronomical (it's on a main shopping street in the Village of East Hampton) but still, it's just too much for sub par food.

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Expensive Brunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I'm torn with my opinion of Babette's. I love that they have healthy choices and great juices but it comes at a high price. The food is good but WOW the prices are higher than you will find in Manhattan. We like to visit at least once during our trips to EH to enjoy brunch. You will find a wait generally on the weekends for brunch and you will be with the trendy set of EH. If you want to be seen and see, this is the place for bruch. Just be ready to pay top dollar.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Modesto
“Eh. Nice healthy alternative. Kind of annoying, tho”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's always nice to have Babettes to go to, when you want something healthier for lunch. It's a creative kitchen. Kudos to them on that! But I think they should take themselves a leeeetle less seriously, and lower their prices by about 20 percent.

Visited December 2012
New York
“GREAT brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We've only ever had brunch but the food is fantastic and they offer many healthy options... The best part is those "healthy" options are just as tasty as the heavier fare. Plus the location is great if you plan to do a little shopping after brunch.

Visited March 2013