“Lover on way to Boston” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in East Greenbush
Chicago, Illinois
“Lover on way to Boston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on our way from Chicago to Boston. Easy on and off from the interstate. The room was clean and recently renovated. Not your typical free breakfast. Nice selection, including eggs and sausage. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Augusta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a few days as we moved our daughter into her dorm at Rensselaer in Troy & participated in the parent orientation activities.

I will start with the good things. The staff at the front dest was always friendly & helpful. There is popcorn in the lobby pretty much all of the time for snacks & also coffee & hot water for tea. Room was clean & a/c worked well.

Now on for the problems. This hotel seems to always be busy-not sure if this has to do with the MegaBus that is parked outside a lot of the time? Anyway, the one elevator got a workout. Like that the vanity for the bathroom was outside the potty room but the vanity itself is way too small unless you are traveling solo. Poor lighting in the potty room & at the vanity and no vent in the potty/shower room. The mattresses were very soft-not what I like but you can not please everyone. Don't plan to sleep on the sofa bed if you get a room with one-our daughter had to suffer through it the night before she moved into her dorm & had back pain all that day from the terrible mattress.

Breakfast was ok, nothing special-small dining area that seems to be full all the time. Not many dining options close by(except the Denny's next door).

We will be back & forth to this area for years to come while our daughter attends Rensselaer, but I'm afraid we will look for another option.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Eastern Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The Fairfield Inn was undergoing some renovations when I stayed there, but my room was quiet and very clean. The bed was comfortable. When I stated that a room with just a shower would be fine I was assigned a room for handicapped people – who I hope are better than I was at figuring out how the faucets functioned!

The breakfast was the usual fare: eggs, bacon, sausage and make-your-own waffles, along with other choices.

The staff was very helpful and courteous. However, no one mentioned that Denny’s takes 10% off your bill for people staying at the Fairfield, IF you tell them that you are staying there prior to paying the bill at the restaurant. Immediately after I paid my bill I saw people flash their room key and get the discount, but when I asked about it was told that they couldn’t take off the discount after the transaction was complete. When I got back to the hotel I asked about this at the front desk, where I was shown a scrolling display that indicated this, which you saw if you weren’t too busy checking in. So … be sure to look at it to see if there is any useful information.

A pleasant, conveniently located hotel. I will stay there again if I am in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is one of the best managed hotels I have stayed in, whether you are a business or family traveler. The rooms are well-maintained; many updated 2012. Breakfast room kept clean and items refilled regularly. Front desk staff very helpful on local attractions and solving any in-house issues. I value this hotel for its reasonable price, convenient location and excellent service and return again and again--have been doing so for 4 years.

Room Tip: Rooms away from vending/ice quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Willow Street, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our room had a comfortable queen bed and a separate sitting area with a sofa. The sink is outside the bathroom which is a convenience. Our room had a small fridge microwave, and coffee maker,. The rooms were clean. Housekeeping was efficient. Front desk service was friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very close to I90, and very close to Albany downtown, making it a good destination if you need to spend some time in the state capital but also move elsewhere quickly. Quality is what you would expect for the price: fairly small rooms, not very comfortable beds, noisy a/c units under the windows, barely OK breakfast... But you get what you pay for, and I was not surprised by that.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
West Milford, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We just got back from a 2-night stay at this hotel. We have stayed here on prior visits to the Albany area with no problems, but it appears there is either new management or somehow things have changed.

On Friday night after arrival, we decided to go for a swim in the outdoor pool. At about 8:40, a young man (an employee of the hotel) came out to the pool. He assured us that we could swim as long as we wanted, but told us that he was "required by hotel policy" to lock the gate to the pool at 9:00. Since the walls around the pool are about 5 or 6 feet high, it sounded as if he was saying that if we stayed in the pool, we would be locked in. My wife asked him if that was what he was saying, and he shrugged and said, "I just have to lock the gate at 9:00. That's the policy." It seemed like a very odd way to tell us that the pool was closing, but we were almost done swimming anyway.

The next evening, after a long day at a family picnic and with us both being very tired, we came back to our room at about 9:00 p.m. to find the bed unmade with a note from the housekeeper saying that she could not make the bed because we had "personal possessions" on it, and they are not allowed under hotel policy to touch any personal possessions of the guests. I tried very hard to see the supposed personal possessions, and my wife finally pointed out the only one - she had folded her nightgown and placed it under her pillow. I could understand if there was stuff all over the bed, or work materials spread out on the bed, but their policy won't allow them to move a folded nightgown to make the bed and then to replace it under the pillow? I went to the front desk to complain, but when I handed the clerk the note from the maid and told him that the only personal possession was a nightgown under the pillow, he threw his hands up in the air and said, "Oh, well, that's the policy!" I told him that it was an idiotic policy and that I would find someplace else to stay next time I was in the area.

To their credit, they did send someone up fairly promptly to make the bed for us (who also seemed somewhat exasperated - apparently we were far from the only guests to be impacted by the hotel's almighty policies. But this was aggravation we don't need to pay hotel prices to experience.

Whoever is making and enforcing the policies at this hotel obviously has no idea what is important to guests, and no idea how to make a stay there enjoyable - or just doesn't care. Either way, he.she should thing about making a career move to someplace where his authoritarian style is more appropriate. Either way, I meant what I said - when staying in the Albany area in the future, we will seek out other places to stay - even if they cost more.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
csampone, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Albany East Greenbush, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

My name is Chris Sampone and I am the General Manager of the Fairfield Inn Albany-East Greenbush. I am writing this in follow up to the feed back you provided regarding your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was not a pleasant one. I want to thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns, since it is concerns like yours that help us to continue to aim at raising the bar at our establishment.

As the General Manager of this property, it is always disconcerting for me to hear when a guest leaves displeased, however some of the frustrations that you experienced are a result of procedures that we have put in place to protect our valued guests, such as yourself.

Since we take great pride in providing excellent guest service, our room attendants are trained not to disrupt any personal belongings in guest rooms while cleaning. This is to protect not only our guests privacy but also to be respectful of our guest' 'valuables.

In addition, since our swimming facilities are not equip with ample lighting, it is unfortunately against the New York State Health Departments code, to keep our swimming pool area and patio open past dusk. This is to protect the safety of our guests.

It is always a difficult line to draw as a General Manager when trying to keep all of our guests’ safety and best interests our number one priority, especially when it comes to situations like those you have referenced in your feedback. Our goal is for all of our guests to enjoy themselves while staying with us and I am sorry that you were frustrated as a result of this.

I would really like to opportunity to speak to you in person regarding this matter and would encourage you to contact me at a time that is convenient for you. I have outlined my contact information below for you.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and will look forward to speaking with you soon.

Christopher Sampone
Fairfield Inn - Albany East Greenbush
124 Troy Road
East Greenbush, NY 12061
Phone: 518-477-7984 ext. 178
Fax: 518-477-2382

Been to Fairfield Inn Albany East Greenbush? Share your experiences!