“Clean and OK for a one-night stay but nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in East Elmhurst
Champaign, Illinois
“Clean and OK for a one-night stay but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Having stayed at a number of other Clarion Inn properties, I was disappointed by the comparatively lower standard of this airport property, which seems overall less well-kept and offers fewer amenities and a very minimal breakfast in the entryway, no lobby otherwise. The shuttle also took a while to come to pick us up at 10:30 at the airport. But the location was ideal for us (arriving late and departing next morning early by car--from the adjacent National rental car property) and the staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms were also quite clean and, we found, quiet with comfortable beds (our accessible room with two double beds seemed upgraded and was rather large and nicely decorated). We might stay there again under similar circumstances but certainly not count on much from the breakfast or public spaces (tho the business center was handy and Internet worked fine).

Room Tip: Corner room on the second floor overlooking a side yard was quiet and ample-sized.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ClarionLGA, Manager at Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear CollegeProf11,
I am so pleased that you were satisfied with your stay and found the rooms and accommodations clean and comfortable.
We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future and will continue to strive to improve where we can. Thank you for your post and input, it is sincerely appreciated by the entire staff.

270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New Milford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I agree with other property reviews. This is by no means a hotel. They have tried to make many upgrades but unfortunately it just doesn't suit well. Rooms are small but comfy. New TVs, WIFI, etc. Bathrooms are minimal and old but certainly suffice fine for one evening with my husband and I. The walls are thin and the hallway/doors do slam and it can be a bit startling. The lobby does lok like it was just redone.
The real reason we ended up here was because we are traveling for a few days post-Thanksgiving and needed a place to put the car (which at Thanksgiving AND at LaGuardia is not an easy task). With one night stay and the parking for the car we made out better than most other places I was looking at. There is a Courtyard (I think) also that runs the stay and park package and I may look to try them in the future.
Overall, nothing terrible but nothing to make this place stand out.

Room Tip: It may help (I don't know for sure) to ask for a room on the back side so you aren't on the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear maestra611,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Clarion LGA as well as taking the time to post a review. I am p,eased to see that you found all of our services and accommodations to your satisfaction. We have made upgrades and renovations recently . Our park and fly package is quite popular and I am pleased you were able to take advantage of it. We are always looking to improve and satisfy our guests, so thank you again for sharing your experience at the Clarion.
We do hope you will stay again next time and see what continued improvements we make.
Wellington, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

this is a 2 star hotel, confirm this by other websites. clarion confirm its a 3 star hotel. for the price I paid, this is a rip off. and false info on your side. Also they charged $ 10 for parking. Run down hotel, rooms and bathroom and very small. this is a motel not a hotel. no full breakfast. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ClarionLGA, Manager at Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. I do appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience so that we can better serve our guests in the future. We do not currently offer a full breakfast, however we do, as advertised, offer Complimentary Continental breakfast free to all our guests. I'm sorry you found the room smaller than you would have liked, unfortunately that is a standard complaint in NYC. We do have a variety of room types, perhaps we could have helped you with one of those options had we had the opportunity to talk during your stay. Our staff does try to make every guest as comfortable as possible and the front desk is happy to help guests with those options.
Again we appreciate your input and time.
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is a decent place to stay if you (like me) can't afford the Marriott down the street. The rooms are small but nice and clean. Bed was comfortable. Very convenient location next to LaGuardia airport--good choice if you get in late and don't want to travel into Manhattan. Walls aren't very thick--heard some outside traffic noise as well as noise from a couple next door, so I would recommend earplugs. Breakfast wasn't great. I try to eat healthy, so all the pastries and sugary cereals didn't really appeal to me. But for what I paid this place is a good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Shea O,

Thank you for your recent post of the Clarion LaGuardia. I am so pleased you found the rooms here clean and comfortable. Our breakfast is a continental set up, and we do include fresh hard boiled eggs and fresh fruit as healthier additions to the standard continental fare of bagels, waffles and cereal. I will take your review to the team and try to add some more healthier choices.
Thank you again.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel was fine for the location to the airport. When calling to get picked up the phone rang and rang on and off the hook. Then when they did answer they would directly put me on hold never even asking if I wanted to be placed on hold. The front desk agent then gave quick directions that I barely heard on the phone because he was talking so fast. Since we had a large group it was OK for them to take several trips to get everyone to the hotel. The shuttle driver did not offer to help with our luggage. He just opened and closed the doors. He expects tips but does nothing to actually earn them. Our check in process was smooth but upsetting because the front desk again again was short with me. The breakfast was low quality but did not even offer any meat options. The only protein was eggs, microwaved eggs. The lobby is super small and super noisy. We enjoyed the neat features of the hotel including the slanted hallways and old fashioned elevator. The check out process was difficult too. And I am still fighting about charges with the hotel. Overall stay was poor but customer service made it the worst.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
ClarionLGA, Manager at Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I'm sorry that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. Having worked with you directly and your group I'm sorry you didn't come to me with any service issues you encountered while you were here, as I would have dealt with any problems on the spot. I'm sorry if there was any confusion or miscommunication with regards to 48hr cancellation policy or the description of our Complimentary Continental Breakfast which does include fresh hard boiled eggs but no meats that are generally included in hot Breakfast options not continental. We try to keep a wide variety of items in our complimentary breakfast. I appreciate your input and will have the staff go over the options again to see what we can do better.

I want to thank you again for your business and choosing the Clarion Hotel at LaGuardia in East Elmhurst and appreciate the time you have taken to give us your input.
Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Due to the traffic mess on the Grand Central Parkway, Long Island Expressway, Cross Island Parkway, Clearview Expressway, Van Wyck Expressway - this hotel is in a great location, right across from LaGuardia. Most car rental agencies are within walking distance of hotel. Avis & Hertz are further down the road. Clarion staff were helpful, friendly and polite. The room was clean and no issues were noted.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Henry,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at the Clarion Hotel located across from LaGuardia airport. Many guests, like yourself, find our location very convenient to all parts of NYC and the surrounding areas of Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island.

I will let the staff know that they were able to meet your expectations and that you found your room comfortable and clean. We strive to satisfy all our guests.
Thank you again!
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel offers a cost conscious option remarkably close to the airport. The rooms were of average size for the chain class and the bathrooms were typical of a New York hotel. Check in and out process was very easy. On site valet parking was nice. Almost everyone from the parking crew were nice. The hotel is close to the city and in the right traffic you could get to lower Manhattan and mid town under 30 minutes via the midtown tunnel. Being close to the airport brings with it the obvious noise, but they are silent at night. If you are looking for a cheap and short stay, I surely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear netTravel12,

Thank you for your post. Our Park and Fly program is indeed a great value and I am happy to know you were able to take advantage of it. Our shuttle runs 24hrs a day which makes it really convenient for guests flying out at any time. I will let our drivers and valets know they are doing a great job.
Thank you so much for choosing the Clarion LaGuardia.
We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!
Vanessa Penson

Been to Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport? Share your experiences!