“Nothing special but a good deal....” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in East Elmhurst
New Milford, Connecticut
“Nothing special but a good deal....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I agree with other property reviews. This is by no means a hotel. They have tried to make many upgrades but unfortunately it just doesn't suit well. Rooms are small but comfy. New TVs, WIFI, etc. Bathrooms are minimal and old but certainly suffice fine for one evening with my husband and I. The walls are thin and the hallway/doors do slam and it can be a bit startling. The lobby does lok like it was just redone.
The real reason we ended up here was because we are traveling for a few days post-Thanksgiving and needed a place to put the car (which at Thanksgiving AND at LaGuardia is not an easy task). With one night stay and the parking for the car we made out better than most other places I was looking at. There is a Courtyard (I think) also that runs the stay and park package and I may look to try them in the future.
Overall, nothing terrible but nothing to make this place stand out.

Room Tip: It may help (I don't know for sure) to ask for a room on the back side so you aren't on the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ClarionLGA, Manager at Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear maestra611,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Clarion LGA as well as taking the time to post a review. I am p,eased to see that you found all of our services and accommodations to your satisfaction. We have made upgrades and renovations recently . Our park and fly package is quite popular and I am pleased you were able to take advantage of it. We are always looking to improve and satisfy our guests, so thank you again for sharing your experience at the Clarion.
We do hope you will stay again next time and see what continued improvements we make.
Vanessa Penson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Wellington, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

this is a 2 star hotel, confirm this by other websites. clarion confirm its a 3 star hotel. for the price I paid, this is a rip off. and false info on your side. Also they charged $ 10 for parking. Run down hotel, rooms and bathroom and very small. this is a motel not a hotel. no full breakfast. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ClarionLGA, Manager at Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. I do appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience so that we can better serve our guests in the future. We do not currently offer a full breakfast, however we do, as advertised, offer Complimentary Continental breakfast free to all our guests. I'm sorry you found the room smaller than you would have liked, unfortunately that is a standard complaint in NYC. We do have a variety of room types, perhaps we could have helped you with one of those options had we had the opportunity to talk during your stay. Our staff does try to make every guest as comfortable as possible and the front desk is happy to help guests with those options.
Again we appreciate your input and time.
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is a decent place to stay if you (like me) can't afford the Marriott down the street. The rooms are small but nice and clean. Bed was comfortable. Very convenient location next to LaGuardia airport--good choice if you get in late and don't want to travel into Manhattan. Walls aren't very thick--heard some outside traffic noise as well as noise from a couple next door, so I would recommend earplugs. Breakfast wasn't great. I try to eat healthy, so all the pastries and sugary cereals didn't really appeal to me. But for what I paid this place is a good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Shea O,

Thank you for your recent post of the Clarion LaGuardia. I am so pleased you found the rooms here clean and comfortable. Our breakfast is a continental set up, and we do include fresh hard boiled eggs and fresh fruit as healthier additions to the standard continental fare of bagels, waffles and cereal. I will take your review to the team and try to add some more healthier choices.
Thank you again.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel was fine for the location to the airport. When calling to get picked up the phone rang and rang on and off the hook. Then when they did answer they would directly put me on hold never even asking if I wanted to be placed on hold. The front desk agent then gave quick directions that I barely heard on the phone because he was talking so fast. Since we had a large group it was OK for them to take several trips to get everyone to the hotel. The shuttle driver did not offer to help with our luggage. He just opened and closed the doors. He expects tips but does nothing to actually earn them. Our check in process was smooth but upsetting because the front desk again again was short with me. The breakfast was low quality but did not even offer any meat options. The only protein was eggs, microwaved eggs. The lobby is super small and super noisy. We enjoyed the neat features of the hotel including the slanted hallways and old fashioned elevator. The check out process was difficult too. And I am still fighting about charges with the hotel. Overall stay was poor but customer service made it the worst.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
ClarionLGA, Manager at Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I'm sorry that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. Having worked with you directly and your group I'm sorry you didn't come to me with any service issues you encountered while you were here, as I would have dealt with any problems on the spot. I'm sorry if there was any confusion or miscommunication with regards to 48hr cancellation policy or the description of our Complimentary Continental Breakfast which does include fresh hard boiled eggs but no meats that are generally included in hot Breakfast options not continental. We try to keep a wide variety of items in our complimentary breakfast. I appreciate your input and will have the staff go over the options again to see what we can do better.

I want to thank you again for your business and choosing the Clarion Hotel at LaGuardia in East Elmhurst and appreciate the time you have taken to give us your input.
Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Due to the traffic mess on the Grand Central Parkway, Long Island Expressway, Cross Island Parkway, Clearview Expressway, Van Wyck Expressway - this hotel is in a great location, right across from LaGuardia. Most car rental agencies are within walking distance of hotel. Avis & Hertz are further down the road. Clarion staff were helpful, friendly and polite. The room was clean and no issues were noted.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Henry,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at the Clarion Hotel located across from LaGuardia airport. Many guests, like yourself, find our location very convenient to all parts of NYC and the surrounding areas of Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island.

I will let the staff know that they were able to meet your expectations and that you found your room comfortable and clean. We strive to satisfy all our guests.
Thank you again!
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel offers a cost conscious option remarkably close to the airport. The rooms were of average size for the chain class and the bathrooms were typical of a New York hotel. Check in and out process was very easy. On site valet parking was nice. Almost everyone from the parking crew were nice. The hotel is close to the city and in the right traffic you could get to lower Manhattan and mid town under 30 minutes via the midtown tunnel. Being close to the airport brings with it the obvious noise, but they are silent at night. If you are looking for a cheap and short stay, I surely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear netTravel12,

Thank you for your post. Our Park and Fly program is indeed a great value and I am happy to know you were able to take advantage of it. Our shuttle runs 24hrs a day which makes it really convenient for guests flying out at any time. I will let our drivers and valets know they are doing a great job.
Thank you so much for choosing the Clarion LaGuardia.
We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!
Waterbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel was bad since before we even got there. However, it is the cheapest for parking and flying in the La Guardia airport area. I called the front desk for help on pricing and the girl was not very helpful. The company was advertising a 30% off sale on rooms so I wanted to know what parking would be if I didn't do the park and fly package, but all she would say is to do the park and fly and then didn't take any time to take a reservation, just hung up. When we got to the hotel, the lady at the front desk was still not very friendly, just briefed and rushed. The rooms were more like luxury jail cells with rock hard beds and a bathroom that I could barely fit in. At 6AM the smoke detector started going off while I was in the shower because of the steam. I jumped out and called the front desk and he said he'd send someone up but to try turning it to the left. I did and it pulled the smoke detector off the wall, which the front desk person seemed mad at me and said I turned it too far. He said he'd send someone up later to fix it. After returning from our trip, we called the parking people for a shuttle back. They said they would be there in 5-10 minutes. It took us no more than 15 minutes to get to the road and the shuttle wasn't there. He came 10-15 minutes later and then started yelling at us that we called to early after we landed and it only takes him 5 minutes to get there so he drove around to every terminal looking for us, which took him 20 minutes. So had he just been patient and waited a few minutes for us, he would have saved himself and us about 10-15 minutes. Next time I go to fly out of La Guardia I think I'll spend the extra $40 and stay at the Marriot.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,
I'm sorry that you had problems with your stay and the confusion with the shuttle service. I appreciate your input and have made efforts to relay the importance of good communication between our staff and guests calling from the airport. Most first time visitors don't realize how close the Clarion is to LaGuardia airport and how quickly our drivers get to the pick up stop. When our agents say 5-10 minutes, it really is hat. Unfortunately shuttles cannot wait at the pick up spots at the terminals so if the guest isn't there the shuttle cannot wait. Therefore I have instructed the agents answering the calls to really clearly communicate with the guests. To make sure they are in the right area etc. hopefully this will help guests in the future.
Again, thank you for your post.
Happy new year,
Vanessa Penson

Been to Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport? Share your experiences!