“Service is what I like” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in East Elmhurst
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Service is what I like”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

If you are looking for glits and glamour maybe not your place. If you are looking for a staff that makes, a business traveler like myself, feel like they're with family...THIS IS THE PLACE. In my travels over the years, I have stayed at many NY hotels, many of which, in this same chain. After getting sick of horrible service, rooms with no pillows, remote or AC, I was pleased to stay at Clarion La Guardia. In my travels i may spend any where from a couple days up to a couple months; on every occasion, it just felt more like a family.

I deeply regret, that it has taken me as long as it has to recognize the the staff of this hotel for their service. Though I may not clearly remember everyone's name, please don't feel left out as I am better with faces. I would like to point out those that became closest to me and the primary reason i go back EVERY TIME I'm in New York for business or pleasure.Those people are: Vanessa, Debby, Willy, Frank, Gina, Cristián and the guys in the Valet. Though as I said I can't remember everyones names, i have to recognize the housekeeping team as well due to the fact that if i felt like being left alone for a few days, they do, if i needed anything, they were there.

Keep up to great job and I very much look forward to my next trip soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ClarionLGA, Manager at Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Justin R.,

Thank you so much for your kind and generous review! I will share your comments with the whole staff here at the Clarion LaGuardia. We strive to make all our guests feel at home and so happy to hear we succeeded.

Thank you again and see you soon I hope!

266 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Fort Saskatchewan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were sent to this hotel by Westjet beacuse our flight had been cancelled and we had to stay overnight. Would not go there again. The hallways had a musty/moldy smell to them. The rooms were slightly better but not much. The rooms are tiny. OK for overnight but wouldn't want an extended stay there. The single bed rooms were extremely tiny. The hallways are a weird angle going downhill from the elevator for some sections. I've never been in a hotel like that. Kind of like they decided to follow the slope of the land. The hotel had a small place to eat and a bar in the lobby. That's good as there is nothing close by. There was a business center with 2 computers but only 1 worked. One very good thing was the breakfast which is included with your stay. They had waffle maker, toast, bagels, cereals, juices, etc. Enjoyed that. But still won't be back. And location was good only for the airport. Not close to anything else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience at our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you weren't completely satisfied during your stay but am glad to know that you found our location convenient and our free breakfast to your liking.

Thank you.
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

After returning from a European trip we decided to spend the night near La Guardia Airport. We chose this hotel for the convince of being close to the airport. THe place is over priced and the staff is surly. After we checked in we asked about someplace to get something to eat. Person on the desk looked at us like we were dumb and then directed us to a diner 4 block away.

Room was small and the bathroom in something I would expect in a 1940's home not a 2013 hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ian S.,

First I want to thank you for posting your review. Our staff tries hard to help our guests get the most out of their stays. I'm sorry to hear we fell short during your visit.

With regards to food & meal options: We do offer complimentary deluxe continental breakfast here at the Clarion LaGuardia. Our Clarion LGA café is open to all our guests and the public from 5pm-11pm daily and currently features a 5-7pm HAPPY HOUR. During the hours in between (lunch) we do offer our guests directions and shuttle service to some local eateries (like the diner) or have a number of local take-out menus available at the front desk.

I realize that some guest find some of the rooms smaller than expected--unfortunately that is typical of NY hotels. Perhaps if you visit us again, speak with the front desk about room options that might better suit your needs.

Again, thank you for letting us know about your stay. We greatly appreciate it.
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stay at this hotel quite often and have always been very happy with the way I've been treated. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are nice. The last room I stayed in the shower did not work properly because it wouldn't switch between the faucet and the shower head. The water pressure through the shower head was very weak because it was all coming through the bath faucet. Anyway, it's okay, I made it through that!

The restaurant is the main reason why I'm writing. The breakfast is fine, they offer the standard fare of cereal, muffins, bagels, coffee, orange juice, etc. What I found to be absolutely terrible was dinner at the restaurant. First off, they didn't have everything on their menu, they were out of everything, they basically only had hamburgers. I, unfortunately, decided to go ahead and get the hamburger. The cook did not wash his hands or put on gloves when he took the hamburger bun out of the bag. He then went to get the meat out of the freezer, again without gloves, and I noticed the meat had an odd color to it. Brown around the sides and pinker in the middle. I asked the cook how old the meat was and he responded 1 day old. I did not believe that. He then pulled out another patty which was a little better but still caused me to worry. Anyway, against my better judgement I stupidly decided to take it anyway. I paid for the burger, which was overpriced. They charge additional for cheese and fries. Basically a $14/$15 burger. Anyway, I took it back to my room, took a bite and it was awful. The quality of the meat is horrible, the taste was also horrible. I wouldn't feed this to my dogs (I love them too much). I threw out all the food and did not eat anything that night. The restaurant just doesn't seem very clean and the quality of their food is inferior. I understand this isn't the Ritz but I think they could buy a little better quality of food. The food they offer is expensive and extremely poor quality.

In summary, hotel is great, the staff is very friendly, breakfast good, but please please please stay away from the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear John L.,

I want to thank you for being a loyal and regular Clarion guest. I am pleased to know that you regularly find our staff and services up to your standards and find the accommodations clean and comfortable.
I am sorry that you were not 100% satisfied with your experience during your last stay. I have taken your comments up with our staff to correct the issues you mentioned.

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experiences here at the Clarion LaGuardia and sincerely hope we see you again in the future.
Thank you again.
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have been staying at the Clarion on a somewhat regular basis when in town for business. In the last year or so, I have not had a bad experience with any of my stays. The staff is very friendly and very accomodating. They make you feel like one of the family if you take the time to talk with them.The hotel is always clean and the rooms are comfortable. They do have a free airport shuttle and a free breakfast to boot. Based upon what I have experienced while staying with them, I would highly recommend them.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ClarionLGA, Manager at Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Richard W,
Thank you so much for your recent review. The Clarion staff and management both appreciate all of our guests but especially those of you who return and choose to stay with us week after week or month after month. Our shuttle to the airport and surrounding area has proven quite helpful with guests travelling to the area for business.

We are grateful that you have chosen to be a part of the Clarion family!
Thank you!
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

O. K. it look a little dull and dowdy, it is not Trump but then again it doesn't pretend to be. What it lacks in 'Flash' it makes up for in good old fashioned 'Value'.
Could not be closer to the airport and the ' FREE' shuttle runs every 30 minutes 24/7. Treat the staff to your best smile and they work double time to make your stay. For my wife and I Gina was the star, great advice and a New York smile wider than the East River.
The recent closure at LGA meant my flight was moved to JFK, the shuttle driver, the desk everyone helped to ensure we made the connection, stress free and easy.
Sorry I forgot the great rate for two nights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ClarionLGA, Manager at Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to post your review of The Clarion LGA. I am so pleased to hear that you found the Clarion to be a great VALUE! We strive to provide solid service with a friendly smile (like Gina's!). I will share your kind words with her and the entire staff!
Hope to see you again if you are staying in the NYC-LGA area.
Redding, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am so thankful for Vanessa Paten at the Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport. She went far and beyond her duty. My daughter was stock and would have had to stay at the airport over night. Vanessa made a way and communicated with me every step of the way. I tried several other hotels near the airport with no help. I was shut down at each one.

As a parent with child traveling, I am sure you can understand, how important it is for them to be taken care of and to know they are safe. Vanessa from Clarion made that happen for me.

What a delight.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir,
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words! I am so happy I could help you and your daughter out in your difficult time. The whole staff is accustomed to working with guests often during distressed moments (flight cancellations, airport closures) and do our best to help and provide a comforting environment and consistent service. I hope everything worked out. If you need anything in the future just give us a call.
Manager

Been to Clarion Hotel La Guardia Airport? Share your experiences!