“Great value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York

Save Saved
You added LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York to your Saves list
LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   104-04 Ditmars Blvd, East Elmhurst, NY 11369 (Formerly Crowne Plaza New York - LaGuardia Airport)   |
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in East Elmhurst
Tampa
“Great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our family took a trip to NYC for four days on vacation. Given the price of this hotel, our expectation was low but we were very surprised what a great value this was. The staff was friendly and courteous and took care of all our needs. Our first impression of our room and the hotel was how clean it was, the bed was comfortable including the pillows. Bathroom were clean and towels did not feel cheap. The proximity to LaGuardia airport was a plus for arrival and departure. However, public transportation to Manhattan can be a little bit of a hike. You would have to take a bus and train. The hotel offers a shuttle to the train station but don't expect to be picked up. The was not issue since there is a public bus, the Q23 that stops across the street from the hotel. One can pick up Metro Cards at the hotel gift shop, an added bonus at no extra charge. I am planning on going back to New York in October and looking forward to staying again at the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Effie M, Manager at LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your business and for your comments.We greatly appreciate your kind remarks on behalf of the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel. I am sure our viewers find your comments useful when booking our property. Thank you again and travel safe.

553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Greek first
Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at the Laguardia Plaza hotel May 31-June 2. Let me start by saying the front desk customer service was impeccible. All hotels should strive to be this on point. It is the only reason I am giving it 2 stars and not 1. We arrived early but was not able to check in but we knew that prior to arriving. The hotel checked our bags and gave us directions on how to catch the subway into Manhattan. When we arrived back to check in later that evening we were shown to our rooms. The rooms are dated and nothing special going on. We met our other family members for dinner downstairs. I returned back to our room for sleep around midnight. I could not get any sleep because I could hear my neighbors conversation and television verbatim. When my husband came in the room around 3am I was still awake. He could hear them as well and called downstairs to have someone talk to our neighbors. We had to do that twice. I finally went to sleep only to wake up the neighbor screaming at the front desk about not having cable and not having a refrigerator in his room. This was at 5:30am. While getting dressed my husband called down to have a manager come up to hear what we were complaining about and they agreed that it was just too loud. We were moved to another room which smelled like smoke and the television was an old tube, not a flat screen like the other room but I did not argue I just needed some sleep. (Oddly enough the cable channels were not the same as the other room) My husband was hanging in his brother's room the next night when he called me to say another of our family members had to be moved because they had bed bugs and had gotten bitten. This was around 1am so I was up making sure we did not have any. We were not compensated or even offered anything but I really just did not care because I was over the trip and was ready to leave. The hotel has a shuttle to and from the airport that is complimentary which is convienient. Please make sure you know the schedule. They only pick up every 20 minutes and you need to allow yourself enough time to catch your flight. The stay was ruined by my lack of rest but my trip to NY was great as always.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bowling Green, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had an early flight from LaGuardia, so we decided to stay at this hotel. We tried to get there with public transportation so we took the E train to Roosevelt and then switched to bus Q33. We told the driver where we wanted to go, so he told us to get off at the Ditmars Blvd stop and walk. Bad idea. The hotel is about 9 blocks from the stop and it's not obvious where to make one critical turn in the walk. If you want to take public transportation, take the bus all the way to the airport and then contact the hotel for the free shuttle.

The hotel itself is very nice. The lobby area is large and attractive. Our room was large and attractively decorated. It contained a queen bed, armchair, stool, desk, and chair. There was a dresser with a TV on top and the TV had LOTS of channels. The bed was comfortable.

The bathroom had a walk-in shower with a seat (no tub). It was difficult to set the temperature properly. I think there must have been something wrong with the knob. Once set, though, the spray was powerful and effective.

The WiFi works effectively in the room and in the lobby area. They told us that a continental breakfast was available for $5 per person but we didn't try it.

The shuttle shared with the Hampton Inn next door, leaves for the airport every 20 minutes. No reservation is needed--just show up in the lobby. It's a good sized bus with plenty of room for luggage.

This is a nice hotel and we would likely stay here again if we need service to LaGuardia.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Effie M, Manager at LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your business and your comments. We are glad to hear that you found the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel to be of value and convenient for you during your stay in NY. We are so happy to hear your experience with us was a pleasant one. We always try to be as helpful as possible to all of our guests in order to make them feel welcomed and comfortable. Thank you again and travel safe.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We spent a week here and had a great experience! There were four adults staying in our room and there was plenty of space for us and all of our stuff. The room was large and the beds were comfortable. It was also clean and nicely furnished. Staff members were helpful and answered all of our questions. The hotel has a small convenience store/souvenir shop in the lobby that is well-stocked and very convenient. Also, there is a restaurant in the lobby that has great food at really reasonable prices (especially in contrast to other New York restaurants). The shuttle takes you from the hotel door to the subway station and back, as long as you are within the normal hours of operation. You can get all of the info at the front desk. At first we were a little bummed because it was all the way out in Queens and past the last subway stop, but the ride didn't seem as long as we thought it would. Also, we had planned several late nights, where we would be coming back after the shuttles had stopped. The first 2 nights, we took a taxi from the subway station to the hotel and then a staff member told us that we could catch a city bus and the driver would drop us off right across the street from the hotel if we asked; we did this and it worked out perfectly! Way cheaper than a taxi too! Overall, we had a great experience and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

For the price (under $100) where can you stay in NYC? This property was 5 minutes from Laguardia airport with a shuttle service that runs every 15 minutes. The hotel was clean, modern and worked well for our 4 day stay while visiting NYC. The lobby is spacious and has a bar and restaurant. Our stay included a daily $5.00 fee for a continental breakfast. The coffee alone was worth it. Our room was spacious, clean and well appointed. The bathroom was spacious, modern and i even soaked in the tub. The beds were very comfortable with nice linens. We slept well on the quiet 6th floor. There is a pool off the lobby and tho, I did not have the time to use the pool, it was large enough to swim laps. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor about 6 rooms in from the elevator. I think our room number was 642. Great ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Effie M, Manager at LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Iraq
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My experience at the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel was outstanding. One thing I would consider for my next trip would be an early check-in. After a long flight from Dubai an early check-in would have made the day less painful. The late check-in get kicked early appears to be a hotel business practice. It appears a day is a lot less than 24-hours in the hotel business. However, after meeting the staff I am sure something could have been prearranged in my case. The location near LaGuardia was ideal for me, and I could catch the Airport Van into the city for about twenty dollars or so into the city. The van will drop you off at Penn or Grand Central.

The room I stayed in was smoke-free, and I can confirm the room was SMOKE-FREE. My acute nose did not detect any residual smoke in the bed, sheets, or furniture. The only recommendation for the room I stayed in was replace the non-skid in the tube. I am a retired 30-year, 1 day, 1 hour, and 37 seconds Marine and I know my skull is durable and hard but for other humans there might be a liability. One could slip and burst their brain, not a good scenario. Hopefully, they acted on my recommendation when I informed them during check-out!

I found the entire hotel staff to be professional as they acknowledged my military service. The front desk agent during check-in noticed my military ID card and provided me with a discount certificate for meals. Good observation. The bar staff was motivating, and cordial. In comparison to the pricing of the other hotel I stayed in during my first trip, prices are competitive. I guess if you wanted to save a few bucks you could buy a case of your favorite beer, a pack of hot dogs and camp out in the room.

The gym is adequate for most humans. The gym had what I needed a treadmill, and a few weights. If you’re looking for a Gold’s Gym set-up you will certainly be disappointed and in the wrong place for the kind of workout.

The overall condition of the hotel was excellent; the area was clean and well maintained. The computer room I tried to use but that did not work out for me. The manager heard of my difficulties and allowed me to use a hotel computer to check my emails, and that was important since I had just returned to the US from Iraq. That was an outstanding gesture on his part to offer up the hotel computer.

I cannot discount the experiences of others but I would certainly stay in this hotel again, and I will when I return. If the place sucked I would certainly say so, but that was not my experience during my stay at the end of April 2013. Until that time…..demand the best because customers are the best!

K. Thomas

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your business and for your comments. We are glad to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. We greatly appreciate your kind remarks about the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel. Thank you and safe travel.
Accord, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I recently took a few personal days in the city. While I would have preferred to stay in Manhattan, my last-minute planning made this impossible: the cheapest rooms I could find in a mediocre hotel were over $250 per night, well beyond my budget. I found a rate at the Laguardia Plaza for $119 a night, one of the cheapest private-bath rates I could find in NYC. Having stayed there several years ago before a flight from Laguardia, I knew it was a decent place. The rooms are simple but clean and have tidy private bathrooms (mine was spotless). It's located in a residential neighborhood of single family homes across from the airport, so, aside from the dull roars of jets, it's more quiet than the average NYC hotel--no loud neighbors or street noise to speak of.

The main thing the bargain rate reflects is the location--it's far from Manhattan. It is on two bus lines, one of which (the Q48) takes 15-20 minutes to go to Flushing Main Street, which is home to New York's largest Chinatown and Korea Town--great food, produce, and Chinese bakeries. From there, a $6 ride on the LIRR (20 minutes) takes you straight to Penn Station with only one stop. The hotel also has an hourly shuttle to a stop on the subway, but that train is a non-express train, so I did the Flushing route just to squeeze in a cultural moment en route. I also walked one day from the hotel to the Jackson Heights station (about an hour walk), and had a great time seeing the diversity of Queens, its beautiful street trees and apartment buildings. I felt totally safe and found the neighborhoods really interesting.

In short: a great bargain. Yes, it's a bit of a trip to Manhattan, but if you just need a clean and decent place to rest your head at the end of a day of exploration, it's a fine option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your business and for your comments. We are glad to here how you found our hotel to be an excellent value to what you paid. We are in a prime location with alot to do from shopping to site seeing. We hope to see you on your next visit to the NYC area. Thank you again and travel safe.

Been to LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York? Share your experiences!