“Clean, Safe, Affordable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York

Save Saved
You added LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York to your Saves list
LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   104-04 Ditmars Blvd, East Elmhurst, NY 11369 (Formerly Crowne Plaza New York - LaGuardia Airport)   |
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Wichita, Kansas, United States
“Clean, Safe, Affordable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was extremely impressed with this hotel during our recent stay to NYC. The hotel and the rooms were very clean. I felt safe while we were there. And the best part? It's one of the most affordable deals in NYC. The hotel shuttle made it very easy to get to NYC public transportation. The staff was very helpful, from the desk clerk to the gift shop lady, to the transportation valet. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Effie M, Manager at LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience with us and with the TripAdvisor community. We are pleased to hear that your stay at the Laguardia Plaza hotel was affordable , pleasant and a comfortable one. We will be sure to let our staff of hospitality professionals know that they met your expectations. We look forward to your future stays with us. Thank you and travel safe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
NY,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Very helpful staff, especially Carla and Carolyn. ........Clean and comfortable. I was told that some renovations are to begin soon. That will help with future ratings.........Good location. Parking is usually easy. There always is a street space available close to the main entrance and there is garage parking also available. The bar is large with big screen TVs. Food and drink prices not bad for NYC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience with us and with the TripAdvisor community. We are pleased to hear that your stay at the Laguardia Plaza hotel was a pleasant and comfortable one. We will be sure to let our staff of hospitality professionals know that they met your expectations. The hotel will begin extensive renovations to update the hotel , restoring its grand appearance and bringing the hotels oversized rooms up to date with all new furnishings and amenities We look forward to your future stays with us. Thank you and travel safe.
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

For a hotel adjacent to a major airport, the prices and service were quite good. The staff, in the person of Carla (front desk) was very good. I used this hotel during an exhausting business trip, trying to sleep late in NYC after arriving very late from Italy. Room was clean, well maintained and equipped, and even smelled clean! Woken by power saw in hallway at 8:38 AM. A grumpy call to Carla was handled by her with grace and professionalism - and the saw stopped! Slept another hour and went to my business meeting with an expectation of using this hotel again.

Room Tip: Older hotel, clean but not shiny. Probably good to ask when the proposed room was refurbished.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience with us and with the TripAdvisor community. We are pleased to hear that you find our hotel of value and will be returning back to us when you are in the area. Thank you again and travel safe.
Morrow, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great location, loved the free shuttle. The rooms however, need major renovations. I felt like I was staying in a low budjet hotel when I saw the room. I was definitely not impressed. I can tell it USED to be a really nice hotel. There's no way that it can be compared to the Courtyard, Hampton or Holiday Inn today.

Room Tip: Not the worst I've seen but definitely not 3 star quality. They don't even have coffee in th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience and opinion with our TripAdvisor community. The convenience and value of the hotel are definitely on point; between the present time and the next several months , a clean , convenient , friendly and economical hotel is what you will find at the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel. Over the next several months the hotel will begin extensive renovations to update the hotel , restoring its grand appearance and bringing the hotels oversized rooms up to date with all new furnishings and amenities. Thank you again and safe travel.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Back about 2 weeks ago, I was traveling down to the city to go and see a Yankee game. I would have stayed inside of the City itself, because the rates at the time were not too bad. However, parking prices in the city are a huge issue, as the average rate for a day is around $45, usually more. So, I decided to look to the outskirts of Manhattan, and found the LGA area. There were some very nice hotels here, and the East Elmhurst and Flushing areas both seemed decent. But instead of paying full price for a room in one of these areas, I chose to go on priceline, and put through a bid. I saw on there that a bid was recently accepted for around $100, so before taxes and fees, that is about what I bid. This was for a hotel in the LGA area and was marked like it is on priceline as 3 stars, on here as 3 1/2. So when the bid went through and I got the room, I was more than happy! I was saving money from being in the city, and would be staying in a much better than average hotel. (Or so I thought!)
When I arrived to the hotel, I first realized that I had to park in the parking garage. The garage is in a central location of this hotel and the Hampton Inn next door, and the fee is $15 per day. Now I don't mean to sound cheap, but that still is a lot of money for parking, especially when you are staying outside of Manhattan! (After staying at the hotel, I looked at some of the other hotels in the area, and the majority had free parking. The others had garages that were cheaper than this.)
After parking, I then went in the side door of the main lobby. I walked in right by the pool, whose chlorine scent took up more than half of the lobby area. On the right there was a nice looking restaurant with a bar, and on the left there was Hertz rental car. A little further down, I arrived at the front desk where I got my room keys. The service was fine, not bad, but nothing great. The lady did explain the shuttle that ran from the hotel to the Subway station on the hour, so that was a huge plus as a way to get to the game!
Once I got all of this information, I headed up to the room. One of the first things that worried me was the smell of smoke on the elevators. Both wreaked of smoke, even though signs are up saying no smoking in them. I do understand that this hotel is half smoking, half non, but I would like to breathe clean air for most of my trip; I have bad allergies to cigarette smoke and asthma. When I got up to my floor, it too wreaked of smoke, which really worried me. The hallways also need major renovations! They look like they are from the 1970s, and are filthy with stains and dirt. When I got to my room, it was decent sized as described, however did not look anything like the professional pictures. It was extremely dated, and has probably not been remodeled since the hotel opened. The blankets on the bed did not appear too clean, and the pillow cases were stained. I was afraid to use any of these things, as I was afraid of the last time that they had been cleaned, or for that matter, replaced. The windows were disgusting, the heater didn't work, and the floor inside the room, just like in the hallway, was covered in stains(and even some left over garbage). Things were not off to the best start! It sure was a good thing that I would only be there for 1 day!
After about an hour of being in the room, I went downstairs to go get the 6pm shuttle to the subway station. The shuttle ended up coming late, as somebody had gotten sick in the last one. The guy in the bus then started yelling at us boarding, because he wasn't ready for us yet. So we had to wait longer than expected, and I ended up missing the first inning and 1/2 of the game. On the way over to the station, the guy drove like a maniac, and I was sure that we would get into an accident. I understand that New York driving was hit and miss, but every few seconds I was flying out of my seat! At the end, he was also just nearly begging for a tip, which I found to be kind of rude, even though I understand again, that this is New York.
When I got back to the room after the game, I couldn't get to sleep right away because I was not a big fan of the mattress. It was very springy! The tv didn't work too well either when I turned it on, but since it has not been updated in the last 20 years, I wasn't surprised!
When I woke up the next morning, and went in to take my shower, there was no hot water. The water may turn to warm, but that was about it! Most of the time it was very cold, and I made sure to go in and out. The bathroom was somewhat dirty, and the tiles were cracked. There was also hair left over from someone who had stayed there previously, and hair barrettes left on the regular floor. (I'm a guy, so these couldn't have been mine. Look at pictures to see what I mean!) Also, the faucet was broken inside the tub, so the water started building up around my ankles. (After I was finished, the only thing that I could unply it with was my jackknife, which barely worked!)
I had to dress up this day, so I decided to iron my shirt. WRONG DECISION! Water came pouring all over my shirt, and half of it was soaked for the rest of the day. I can use an iron any other time, but this one needs to be replaced! After this, I had just about had it!
The room was way too dated and too dirty to ever be called anything of a 3 1/2 star hotel. I would expect to find these types of things at a Motel 6 or Econo Lodge(one star hotels), but not a place that prides themselves as being a 3.5. I had encountered too many problems while I had stayed, and will not be returning any time soon. Do not mistaken the lobby or even the second floor business center for the quality of this hotel! The rooms are old, filthy, and NEED to be downgraded as far as star quality. If this is a 3 1/2, I highly prefer staying at my 2 1/2 Courtyards and Fairfields to this!
I checked out, and the only good part of the hotel that day was Carol Lynne. She was very kind at the desk, and helped me get my parking ticket stamped so I COULD LEAVE. I would not recommend staying here to anyone, no matter how great the price. I would have rather stayed at a Red Roof Inn for the same price point, or spent more and stayed some place else. Unless you are desperate, and need a place after a long flight, don't stay here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fort Pierce, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Excellent hotel for the money. I had a superior Queen room for only $99 a night plus tax. The staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The hotel offers free shuttle to and from the airport as well as to the local subway station. Conveniently located directly across from the airport it is a great place for the business traveler or if you are on a budget and don't want to spend 4 to 5 times the amount to stay in Manhattan.. There are 2 nice restaurants and a bar which stays open late as well as a gift shop that carries just about anything you may have forgotten to bring with you. My only complaint if I had to make one is that the food in the restaurants is very pricey - $19.00 for a Cobb salad for example. However, I strongly recommend the take-out Japanese restaurant - the name escapes me but they have the menus readily available at the hotel. Fantastic sushi at very reasonable prices. There is also a Chinese place and two pizza places that deliver but I didn't try any of those. I had Japanese twice!! It would also be nice if there was a free breakfast buffet like at the next door Hampton Inn or at least complimentary coffee. $14.95 for breakfast buffet - a bit steep!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience with us and with the TripAdvisor community. We are pleased to hear that your stay at the Laguardia Plaza hotel was a pleasant and comfortable one. We will be sure to let our staff of hospitality professionals know that they met your expectations.We look forward to your future stays with us. Thank you and travel safe.
Greenfield, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I satyed here on a business trip. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms as well as the hotel in general could use some updating but it is clean. The weather was pretty bad the night we stayed so we ended up staying at the hotel for dinner. We did have to eat in the bar as the main dining room was closed. The bar area was very busy and crowded, not really adding much to the dining experience. Checkout was easy and desk staff was busy but friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was of value and convenient to your needs. Over the next several months , the hotel will begin extensive renovations to update the hotel , restoring its grand appearance and bringing the hotels oversized rooms up to date with all new furnishings and amenities. Thank you again and travel safe.

Been to LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York? Share your experiences!