“Place to stay before leaving on a trip.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York

Save Saved
You added LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York to your Saves list
LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   104-04 Ditmars Blvd, East Elmhurst, NY 11369 (Formerly Crowne Plaza New York - LaGuardia Airport)   |
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in East Elmhurst
Flushing, New York
“Place to stay before leaving on a trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Checked in early due to business in city. Room was ready for me. When I walked into room it had a fresh aroma to it as well as very, very clean. I could not find any thing wrong with the way it looked. I wish other places I have stayed at were as clean as this room was. The housekeeping staff was very friendly and helpful. Everything was very clean and spotless from the outside of the hotel to the lobby and the halls on the floor(7) that I stayed at. As I was getting ready to enter my room a supervisor was leaving when asked why she was in there she said that she wanted to make sure everything was spotless and in the right place(hats off to the person who cleaned my room and to the supervisor). I plan on coming back and spending another night here due to the fact that everything went smooth.One final thing, I am a pain when it comes to clean rooms and this has passed my inspection. Would recommend this hotel to my many friends who travel to NYC on business as well as pleasure.

Room Tip: If you want to see the airport to watch planes take off or land I would ask for rooms in the front...

556 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
lost in Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years. Every hotel has it's ups and downs -- this one is heading down. It used to be a first class facility -- now it isnt. Ever since the Hampton opened next door -- which is owned by the same people as the Plaza -- and especially since they lost the Crowne Plaza affiliation, the place has suffered.

Right now it's mostly the little things that are wrong -- evidence that corners are really being cut to try to save money. Not as many towels; the bathroom not quite as clean; the jams and jellies placed in holders for a different, more expensive brand; glasses in the restaurant not clean. (That one is particularly interesting because the wait staff knows -- and our waiter checked the glasses for cleanliness BEFORE pouring water -- never seen that before.)

And yes- - the restaurant isn't very good at all. But it never was. We travel to this area quite a bit, and I'll give it another try, but it's not looking like a good trajectory here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
CPLGA, General Manager at LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Canada Rockies Nut,

Thank You for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor Community!

Yes, our ownership group does own both the Hampton Inn and the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel. In 2011 our Ownership Group decided to fly an independent flag during the renovations process and we look forward to welcoming a stronger and more prestigious following the completion of our renovation. Our Renovation and Brand Change is scheduled to begin in November extending until early summer of 2012!

In reviewing your comments on the restaurant; I have shared your feedback with the staff as we seek to improve our processes.

We appreciate your feedback and wish your safe travels.

Oakbrook Terrace, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We were very skeptical about having our meeting at the hotel after reading so many negative reviews. The hotel definitely exceeded our expectations. The staff taking care of our meeting went out of their way to take care of our needs. Anything we requested was responded to. The lunches we had for our meeting we great & on par with 4 star hotels that we use. The guest rooms were not nearly as bad as I expected. Yes, they are in need of rennovating, but were well maintained, clean, bed was very comfortable. Some of the rooms have different layouts & varying stages of rennovations, so you may get a room with either new carpeting or old carpeting, which makes a huge difference in the feel of the room. If you book on a low-rate travel website, you will probably get one of the older rooms. Customers that book directly with the hotel will probably get better rooms since you will be paying a higher rate. You get what you pay for & if you want cheap, you get cheap & shouldn't complain. Shuttle service worked out very well both to & from the airport & to the subway stop. The hotel is located in a rather quiet area with not much around it, except for a few other hotels. Not the kind of place you would step out the door & go for a walk. It's not a bad neighborhood, it's just really isolated, dark & not alot of other people around. You really need to use the shuttle to get to the subway or use a car service to get to any restaurants or shopping. It is an airport hotel, thought so you don't really expect to have those additional amenities outside the door. The majority of our attendees took advantage of the shuttle service to the subway. You only need to take one train to get to Time Square, so even for a suburbanite with a public transporation phobia like me, it was fine. If you come back to the subway after the last subway shuttle pickup, you may want to just take a cab back from the city since cabs are NOT really available at the subway stop for the hotel. Overall our meeting went very well & we have another one scheduled there next month. Now that we know the ropes, we look forward to coming back. From what I understand, the hotel will be starting rennovations in the next few months. Look forward to seeing it when they are complete.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with new carpeting & away from the elevators & ice machines.
RRMtgPlanner,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor Community.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your meetings experience and Food & Beverage Offerings. We appreciate the TripAdvisor Community and the great feedback we receive from it as it helps our team understand the needs and expectations of our guests and clients.

We look forward to hosting your group in the future and wish you safe travels.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

When I first called for pickup from the airport I was told I didn't have a reservation. At check-in there were 2 people working the desk and a line of people waiting. They were both answering the phones while directing the shuttle and checking people in. Hire someone else please. We paid for a king and were put in a queen, this was fixed immediately. I was having a work meeting in the hotel and had shipped multiple packages there for this, for the first packages I was told they hadn't come and after showing them the confirmation of receipt we found them down a service hallway partially opened. The Second package was the same where I had to prove to them with tracking it had arrived and the rude employee was less than helpful again. The third package the next morning amazing was the same issue, an overnight priority delivery which they were completely unaware of its arrival. My fiancé asked for a taxi to be taken to have her nails done and ended up paying $30 to be driven in a big circle back to the hotel because there was nothing that felt safe to her anywhere around. At check-out we waited 5 or more minutes to be helped while 3 employees stood behind the desk making change for one customer and talking on the phone. The concierge was outside talking to our ride but made no effort to let us know they were there and then stood there and watched us as we struggled with our bags like a big waste of space. DON'T EVER STAY HERE, there are 2 other hotels within walking distance that are much better.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
Max P,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor Community.

We reviewed your comments with the team at the morning stand up meeting and we agree that there always opportunities to improve our service.

When shipping we recommend that guests ensure that the packages are properly labelled clearly identifying to whom should be receiving it on the shipping label. In your case the packages arrived to our shipping department with no name or company name as the recipient.

I do appreciate your feedback and we will work to improve our guest service and focus towards our guests.

Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

It all started when I tried to get the shuttle to pick me up at the airport. Good luck getting these fools to answer the phone. The restaurant sucks. Service? There is none. The hotel needs major renovations. We were treated like crap at our conference. Staff were blasting the radio in the laundry area and it took 4 times, 4 times!!! to get them to turn the radio down. I would NEVER recommend this hotel nor will I ever stay here again! Period! Oh, and the entire 4th floors smelled like cigarette smoke????? Isn't it non smoking?????? geesh

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
CPLGA, General Manager at LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Jason,

Thank You for sharing your thoughts with the TripAdvisor Community. I can appreciate your emotional review and empathize with your frustrations of having to travel for work and attend a conference on the opposite coast.

I have shared your comments with the Department Managers and we appreciate that you took the time to leave us the feedback.

We look forward to starting our renovations in November beginning with our roof replacement and then moving on to update and renovate our guest rooms beginning with the 7th Floor.

Arlington, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I must've stayed in the same room as Michelle K! Once you go past the lobby, the notion of the LaGuardia Plaza being a nice hotel is over. Normally, you can tell how clean a hotel is by looking at the floor of the elevator. It was really dirty. It didn't get any better once I got on the 7th floor and turned down the hall to go towards my room.
Now, I was supposed to have a newly, renovated room. That was far from the case. My room was really depressing! My window also had some nasty film on it which kept me from seeing out, my remote control was dirty, the lighting was very poor, the tv was fuzzy and old, the bathroom vanity top was not clean, and the floor hadn't been vacuumed.The room was just plain old and disgusting!!

I stayed there on September 25 only because the Hampton Inn right next to it was sold out. I even had reservations to stay at the LaGuardia on Sept 29-Oct 3 just in case it was going to be nice. Needless to say, as soon as I got in the room, I cancelled my reservation.

I wouldn't stay at the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel if it were free! The only saving grace has always been the Embers Lounge. Jazmine and Terrance have always been great to see time and time again. Visit the bar but don't bother with the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
CPLGA, General Manager at LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Ms Southern Traveler,

Thank You for sharing your comments about your recent experience at the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel.

In researching your comment that you had expected a newly renovated room we did find an error that was corrected on several third party websites that inaccurately stated this.

We are beginning our renovation in November with the complete replacement of our roof and various mechanical improvements which will have minimal impact on overall hotel operations. Following this project we will then begin with the seventh floor Guest Rooms. We look to complete the renovation and flag change by mid-spring.

As you mentioned in your guest room the windows seal had broken causing a film between the two panes of glass which will also be corrected during the renovation. The stains that you noticed on the marble vanity will obviously be corrected as well.

We utilized your trip advisor review as well as others from this weekend to review with our housekeeping team this morning. We do appreciate your feedback and appreciate your business at both the Hampton Inn and Embers Lounge.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Arrived and was delayed getting a room. Once in my room, I it was two double beds vs my reservation for a king....went back to checkin and was given a new room.

Room was musty. I checked under bed for bedbugs...didn't see any, however, it appeared to not been vacumed for some time: hairbrush, aerosol cap, finger nail clipping, part of a condom pack...yuck. I called housekeeping and they responded immediately...needless to say the uncleanliness was always in the back of my mind, and made my trip less than enjoyable.

General cleanliness of room, hotel and meeting rooms could be improved!

Customer service was very good!

Ordered lobster fettacini from the pub, it sat on the delivery cart (from the kitchen) for at least 10 minutes. It was cold. The bartender sent it back to the kitchen for reheating....very appologetic. Food was very good!

Over all, not bad for the price, location convenient to airport, however could be better.

Andrew,

Thank you for telling the TripAdvisor Community about your recent stay at the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel.

Glad to hear that the Front Desk was able to accommodate your needs for a King Bed and I will review with the desk as to why it was not provided to you upon check in. Further, we appreciate your comment about our Guest Service!

We utilized your review this morning at our Housekeeping Meeting and appreciate the example of checking under the beds for debris.

Kurt Strauss, GM

Been to LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York? Share your experiences!