“Alright hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of LaGuardia Airport Hotel

Save Saved
You added LaGuardia Airport Hotel to your Saves list
LaGuardia Airport Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100-15 Ditmars Boulevard, East Elmhurst, NY 11369 (Formerly Wyndham)   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Atlanta
“Alright hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I don't totally disagree with other reviewers of this hotel. It is definitely an older hotel that needs a face lift. We have stayed here 3 years in a row when my husband and I come up for a race he does at Citi Field. It's close enough for a 5 minute bus ride. Every year I research other hotels nearby or even in the city and we just keep coming back to this one. Basically, you get what you pay for is how I see it. This is by far the cheapest and closest hotel to the airport. For us, we'd rather not spend the extra money sine we are really not in the room much at all. We spend all day in Manhattan, and just come back to sleep so why pay more? The bus stops are within walking distance (M60) so we hopped on that to get to the subway for Manhattan. You can also catch the bus at the airport. They do have a free shuttle to and from the airport so that's nice. It's so close we actually walked though.
I found the front desk clerks to be very friendly and helpful. They have a free breakfast but it is pretty lame. Coffee, tea, juice, cereal, bagels, muffins. There is no restaurant for dinner. Our room was decent enough. Clean. Comfy bed. Small bathroom. Hot water.The tv is old school. I don't think you could even buy that kind of tv anymore! Reception wasn't great and not a lot of channels available, but again, we were never really in the room so it didn't matter. Decent size. A/C & heat worked fine (we used both). Like I said, the whole hotel needs to be updated. I heard it was bought out and a new management was starting an upgrade, but I did not see any evidence of this. I think we paid $129/nt, which was probably even too much considering what you get. I didn't see a lot of other guests so hopefully business will pick up more if they do an overhaul. I would still stay there again for the convenience/price.

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower tend to be bigger and not so old.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I called to the hotel to arrange shuttle pick up for our friends from Europe, who had their flight cancelled. The girl on the phone was rude and argued with every word I said. I was needed to get clear directions from her on where, when and how to get to the shuttle stop, so I could translate it to my friends.( I do not live in NY) Finally, I lost my patience and told her that her customer service skills were very poor and that she had no desire to help other people.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Collins
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night before our plane left from LaGuardia Airport. It seemed like a good value -- free airport shuttle, right across the road from the airport. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy my stay as much as I had hoped.

The lobby looks awesome and they do a nice job staging room pictures for their website. However, this hotel is run down and is badly in need of a refresh. There are about 10 channels on the TVs, including two that (at least when I was there) showed the shutdown screen for a Windows 98 computer that I assume had previously aired hotel news. The wifi is so slow as to be pretty much non-existent. As others have noted, the only food available on the premises is the continental breakfast, which is disappointing. The water temperature in the shower/bath was inconsistent, wavering from near-scalding hot to icy cold without touching the controls.

Probably my biggest issue with this hotel was that the shuttle from the airport to the hotel is not as consistent as the shuttle from the hotel to the airport. I had called a day or so prior to find out where the shuttle picks up at the airport, and I was told that there would be an obvious place for pick-up. When I walked out to the ground transportation area, it was clear that there was no reserved place for the hotel shuttle to pick up, so I called the hotel again to find out that there is a SECOND number to call to arrange a shuttle pick-up. Why didn't they tell me this when I called the first time? When I did get in touch with the transportation operator, she did not give me a time estimate and I wasn't entirely sure that anyone would actually come to pick us up. We waited 20 minutes before seeing the shuttle arrive. At least the driver was nice and helpful.

I wish I had spent a bit more and sprung for a nicer hotel perhaps a bit farther from the airport. While there was nothing obviously wrong with this hotel, I couldn't shake the feeling that I needed a shower every time I walked across the room.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The hotel is from another era. It was a Holiday Inn, then became a Wyndham property an will soon be a Hilton. Food options limited to continental breakfast. A staff member shared the fact that they have a full kitchen, but the kitchen was closed by current owners to save money until the transition ends. Dinner options were to eat out or have something delivered.
The bed was okay. Plenty of pillows. HVAC worked well. Tub was clean when we arrived, but there was always at least one hair still in the shower when we returned to our room each day. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were trying to keep costs down so we had more money to do stuff in the city, so it met that need. I look forward to seeing what happens when the new owners refresh the property. In the mean time, the airport shuttle was convenient and we got our money's worth.

Columbus, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I know in NY people are supposedly rude and unhelpful. The only sorts of people I encountered like this were at this hotel. The staff completely lied to my husband about the charges for the room, deposit, parking, etc. Each and every staff member was inconsiderate and rude. Even the owner, who was there in the morning for "breakfast" (which consisted of cereal and dry breads), did not acknowledge us as he cleaned up the tables and greeted other guests. The rooms are outdated, which did not really bother us too much, the hotel was cheap after all. The air conditioner did not work, and we were told someone would be up to repair it shortly. Four hours later, no knock at the door and no call. I will not make this mistake again.

Room Tip: Pay $25 extra a night and go to another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
COLUMBUS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This seems like an OK place to stay if you are just needing a place to stay the night before a flight. The rooms are basic and a bit dated but the shuttle to the airport was efficient. If you want a cheap place to stay before a flight, this will work.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vail, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I wish I had read the reviews before booking this hotel. We arrived late and check in was efficient; the staff was very perfunctory. Not one smile. The room smelled like it had been the storage site for air freshener. The odor was horrible. The bathroom had a pedestal sink and shelf so high that you had to use the top of the toilet for a travel kit. I set up the ironing board outside the door to hold all our stuff. The air conditioner, while efficient, was extremely noisy so to listen to the TV over the AC, you had to blast the volume. Not so great for anyone in the adjoining rooms. I missed breakfast by a few minutes. Sorry. This hotel needs a major renovation!

Room Tip: I don't how you would do that.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to LaGuardia Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!