“What is that smell?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of LaGuardia Airport Hotel

Save Saved
You added LaGuardia Airport Hotel to your Saves list
LaGuardia Airport Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100-15 Ditmars Boulevard, East Elmhurst, NY 11369 (Formerly Wyndham)   |
Ranked #7 of 10 hotels in East Elmhurst
New York City, New York
“What is that smell?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

After we checked in and entered the elevator to go to our room, I couldn't help but ask myself ..what is that smell? I calmed myself down thinking that at least the room would be better. But I was wrong. The room smelled all the more weird. I cannot put the finger on what it was, but it smelled something moldy, old or any other synonym you would like to use.

I felt awful to walk barefoot on the carpet because it looked too old and stained. The layout of the room was weird, and their furniture and appliances are crying for an update.

The bathroom is a whole different story. I am not 6 feet tall, but I am not 5 feet either. I had to bend to wash my face.

The breakfast area was open and nice. Their service however, was not. The guy who seated us, was rude. I heard one lady ask for some sweetener and he sounded like he was yelling at her. Not polite at all. Unless you are flying out of the airport the next day, this is not the hotel you want to stay to go around NYC.

Also when we arrived, we were calling for the shuttle service which never came. The result? One angry cab driver who almost insulted us for making him drive such short distance from LGA to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

On the Monday before our trip I booked 3 rooms, since I was traveling with my husband, 3 daughters, son-in-law and 3 grandchildren. The person I spoke to said the shuttle ran 24/7. She emailed me the confirmations which I printed out and took with when we flew in Thursday night. When we got to LaGuardia I called for the shuttle. They said it would be there in 5-10 minutes. After 20 minutes we finally saw it but the driver didn't want to take us, saying he never got a call and this was the last run for the night. We finally convinced him to take us, but when we got there they couldn't find our reservations, even with the printed confirmations. They finally found one, and after a while, two, but said there wasn't a third room-except smoking. We packed into 2 rooms and my son-in-law had to go to the basement to get the cots and cribs himself. In short, it was a disaster and they didn't even apologize.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Hotel Laguardia has clearly seen better days.
The pictures in the booking page are accurate, but don’t really show the wear and tear in the rooms. The staff is clearly overwhelmed… every time I went to the reception, there was a line of people waiting to be serviced… the Air conditioning in the room was noisy and the knob was broken, so I couldn’t turn it off… The common areas (Elevators, hallways, etc…) need a touch up, and the complimentary breakfast choice is quite poor.
When you add the price of Parking, etc… this is by no means a good value, even in the New York Area, you can get a lot more for your money.…

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Location has nothing accessible everything blocks away. You can walk if you're willing. Cabs are extremely expensive. Town cars readily available but pricey even to go only a few blocks. No onsite restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013
Tucker, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Older hotel, in need of refurbishment. Stayed there one night due to early flight out of LaGuardia next morning. Hotel no longer has a restaurant (shuttle driver said it closed back in April), although it does have a bar. Not much for food delivery, so if you need food, you'll need to look offsite.

As other reviewers have said, carpets are worn, furniture and appliances in room are old, and difficult to get through to a person on the phone (had to call repeatedly for a shuttle - no one answered the first three times I called). I can see staying there in a pinch, but it was not a comfortable stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ft laud , Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

If you are looking for a inexpensive , clean and convenient hotel while visiting NYC , this is the one, and for a decent room with twin queen beds and a satisfying breakfast ,a short safe walk across a pedestrian walk bridge from LaGuardia or a hop on their many hotel shuffles . According to the staff the hotel was sold and the staff has no idea if they have a job in 30 days with the new owners and that may be why all the long faces with most of the staff . We were looking to spend our hard earned after tax dollars on shows, plays, sights, fine food and plenty of shopping . The last thing we wanted was to pay $ 500 to $ 2000 a night to stay in old hotels downtown with a fancy entrance and 50 year old beds. Each morning we awoke, had a very delicious continental breakfast and then headed across the walkway . We bought 1 week combo bus/subway passes for $ 30 each inside the airport and then grabbed the M60 bus directly in front of the airport and in less than 6 minutes we were at the Astoria Blvd- 30 St subway station . The N or Q line takes you through all stops like Canal street for great purses/watches/food, Little Italy, Soho, Greenich Village, Macy's , Empire state bldg., Statue of Liberty, World Trade center, Times Square, or Central Park. With those special passes if you get off at the wrong stop you can simply get back on with your pass rather than paying $ 2.50 for each and every ride. For example , we took the N subway all the way to Canal and then transferred to the R which took us to the Staten Island Ferry and a totally FREE cruise back and forth and stunning picture taking views of the lady Liberty statue for FREE . Be sure to walk Times Square at night with 100s of 1000s of people from all over the World. New York Pizza is the BEST ! Once again this is probably your last chance for a great NYC hotel for $ 119 . Once the new owners paint it and install new carpet you can expect to pay $ 299 a night for this convenience . HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP TO NYC !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

First be prepared for the 50.00 per night stay deposit added. I wasn't prepared for that. The rooms were clean and nice. Hotel is old looking and run down from the outside. But it's ok on the inside. Typical continental breakfast offered. The guy driving the shuttle is very nice and helpful. The ladies behind the counter aren't so! Depends on who is working what I guess. For u to catch the train u gotta walk to a bus and then they take u to station or u can go back to airport and then jump on a bus and then go to train station if u feeling lazy. It's about a 45 min commute to the city by bus and train. U cannot walk from train to hotel unless u like to walk long distances. I will stay here again only if I am taking an early flight out but not to sight see. Too much commuting!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to LaGuardia Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!