“Comfortable beds; some issues with the shuttle” 4 of 5 stars

Airport Parking Included
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jacksonville, Fl
“Comfortable beds; some issues with the shuttle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed here after a flight was cancelled late and our new flight was the next morning. The beds were very comfortable and the room was quiet although there were some typical airport area noises of jets and beeping trucks in the morning. It did take the complimentary shuttle an unreasonably long time to pick us up from the terminal to get us to the hotel and that was highly irritating, especially since we had already been kept waiting for hours by our airline. If I had known it would take almost 30 minutes to get picked up I would have just taken a taxi or walked-- you can see the hotel from the terminal --right by the Marriott. Also, the 800 # had a better rate than calling the hotel directly. The morning shuttle is on a 3x/hr schedule which I wish they had told us when we checked in, although it worked out fine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

One night at the airport...just right for this hotel...Hampton Breakfast; parking is only $15.00, actually incredably priced for New York...Room is very comfortable and Georgia at the front desk is a tremendous asset to the ownership...So close to New York and without New York Prices...Only drawback is no elevator in the parking structure....Recommend to anyone looking for an alternative to New York prices or flying out early from Laquardia...

Room Tip: a high floor with a view of the airport and Citi Field
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Leelanau, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you are considering going to this hotel to save money because it's cheaper than staying in Manhattan, there are some things you should consider. First let's dispose of the obvious. It is a Hampton Inn and has most (not all) of the amenities you expect from a Hampton Inn - such as breakfast included in the price of the room. It also will almost certainly be cheaper than comparable hotels in Manhattan. During my stay it was almost a $100 a night cheaper (I stayed during the Holiday season in December).

However, there are some issues. First, be sure to bring a computer that has a port for an ethernet cable if you want to connect to the internet from your room, because there is no wireless internet. You have to plug your device into the wire coming from the wall. If you use an I-Pad, which has no ethernet port, and you are only configured for wi-fi, this is a problem. When I complained about the lack of wi-fi, they said I could come to the lobby and they would set up a hot spot for me to use. Not very convenient. If you have an i-phone and you can create your own hot spot, this, of course, is also an option. But I was unprepared for the lack of wireless and was annoyed to say the least.

Also, be aware that the restaurants around the hotel within walking distance are very limited. Essentially, just r2 or 3 estaurants in other nearby hotels (Hampton do not have their own restaurants).

It's also debatable how much money you will actually save. If you intend to commute into Manhattan by cab, a cab fare each way will run between $35 and $40 dollars with tolls and tip. This will eat up much of your savings in the difference in hotel price. Also, when I asked for the hotel to call me a cab, they said I would have to go outside to the street to hail one. However, if I wanted to use a limo, they would be happy to call one. The cost: $48 one way. Clearly the Hampton is linked into the local limo drivers in some way and I found the refusal to call a cab almost insulting. I used to live in New York and know my way around. But if you are a tourist in for the first time, doing this could easily intimidate you into using a limo and then the price savings are gone.

What they do have and what will save you money is a shuttle to the subway stop. You can not walk to the subway from the hotel. So they will shuttle you to the subway (the 7 line) for free. However, they do not pick up from the subway to bring you back to the hotel. To get back you will have to transfer to a bus. The exact bus will vary depending upon the stop you get off at on your way back. Also, the bus lines shut down between midnight (approximately) and early morning. So, you want to verify the exact times so you do not end up left at the subway stop early in the morning. The 7 line will take you to Times Square where you can transfer to anywhere you want to go. Allow 1 hour from the time the shuttle leaves the hotel to arrival in Times Square. The subway cost's $2.50 each way per person. So, if you use the subway both ways you can save substantially. Or you can do like I did, take the shuttle to the subway to go in during the day and take a cab from the city back out to the hotel at night. I managed to save about $50 a night compared to staying in Manhattan by doing it this way.

Also, they do run a shuttle to LaGuardia for free. Just call the hotel when you have your luggage. For me the shuttle arrived 20 minutes after the call

So, all in all you can save money and you get the advantages that a Hampton Inn offers (except for wireless internet). But you do need to go prepared to use public transit to maximize your savings.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We had a spacious room and a comfortable bed for our trip to NYC. It was the perfect location for us as the hotel shuttle was able to pick us up from the airport and take us to the subway at certain hours when we needed to go into the city.

The hot breakfast had a wide selection of options, and we enjoyed it.

We appreciated the excellent service from Billy, Georgia, and Josh. They checked us in early, gave us tips for navigating around the city, provided us with several helpful maps, and switched out our room without any hassle when we requested a room with wi-fi and a king bed.

We received a great price on this hotel and are glad we stayed here.

Room Tip: We were not able to get wi-fi on the 8th floor, so they moved us to the 2nd floor. If you need wi-fi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SeaTac, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed here right after the week storm Sandy swept whole state of New York. When I checked in around 6 pm, my room wasn't still ready so I had to wait 10 minutes at the lobby. I understood that because hotel was so full, but I wasn't very happy after I found hair on the bathroom floor.. Also, after I get off on 4th floor, I smelled cigarette smoke. I knew hotel has smoking rooms too but didn't expect to smell it from the 4th floor..
However, other than that, everything else was great. The location of hotel was great, not to far from Manhattan and from JFK airport. Also, hotel looked very clean, nice and new with reasonable price and good service from the staff. I would recommend this hotel to people who are planning to travel to Manhattan.

Room Tip: This is not a smoke free building different from what it says on the Expedia.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is what you expect from a Hampton Inn. Clean. Very comfortable bed. Quiet. Acceptable toiletries. Everything works. Breakfast was the usual; an omelette, porridge, make-yer-own waffles, cereal, muffins, yogurt. Price was fair. Didn't have to wait long at LGA for the shuttle, and the shuttle goes through departures instead of arrivals, so a lot less busy.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Irmo, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This Hampton Inn is near LaGuardia Airport as indicated. This is your typical Hampton Inn. Reasonably priced, clean, and good service from the staff. The worst thing I can think of saying is that the parking space is limited on property. There is a nearby garage if you wish to pay for parking or you may park off property and be subject to having to move your car to alternate side of the street during the weekdays. Otherwise, I recommend this location for the limited purpose of handling business and having quick and easy access to the airport.

Room Tip: I was in room 611. There was no room with a ocean view. Maybe an Airport view. More important, I...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn New York LaGuardia Airport? Share your experiences!