“ok but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in East Durham
Middletown, New York
“ok but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

We had a two bedroom suite, which was comfortable, but not teribbly clean. I saw the maids go into the adjacent room and literally leave in less than five minutes. The food was mediocre at best with skimpy portions, with very slow service. Th wait staff were young kids who tried but did not have the experience to offer good service. It was a very safe and family atmosphere and staff was very pleasant. The grounds were kept nicely and it is a very pleasant surrounding.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mechanicville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

My daughter (8) and I needed a quick weekend trip away from home for some fun. We got a 2 bedroom suite so we each had our own space. The rooms were very cozy, not too fancy perfect for relaxing. We had some of the best food from the resorts kitchen, the steak was perfect and the deserts were fabulous. The waterpark - which was a great bonus was so much fun.

I am planning my High Schools 20 yr reunion in 2010 and this is where I am planning on scheduling it - the families will love it!!

HNO

Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

What a fantastic place to take a family. Pleasant atmosphere. The kids had more to do than they had time for. My wife and I had plenty of time to relax while the kids played nearby. Staff was very attentive.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

My family and I enjoyed our stay at the Country Place. I guess what's more important to us than anything is friendly staff and everyone there was incredibly nice and welcoming. There really wasn't anything you asked for that they wouldn't try to accomodate. We stayed in a 2 bedroom family suite and it was just fine. There was lots of room and they provided a crib for our little one. Rooms were clean and looked recently painted. They certainly aren't luxury accomodations - but we didn't go there to hang out in the room. We loved the Zoom Flume. It kept my kids busy for 3 days - and one of them is a 10 year old who loves thrill rides. There was a wide range of attractions - my 2 year old had fun in the numerous splash pools - my 6 year old loved the beginner slides - and my 10 year old and I loved the vortex and the canyon plunge. The family entertainment at night was fun - we did karaoke and casino night. I was a bit surprised at the young kids "gambling" - but I'm a bit conservative that way, I guess. Meals were ok - standard breakfast - omelletes, bacon, sausage, cereals, fruit, pancakes, waffles french toast etc... Generous with the food - brought us everything we asked for. Dinners were not so great - but I can be a food snob. Shrimp was rubbery, salads were skimpy and too much dressing. Food was a bit heavy. They were very accomodating and would make whatever you asked for to order. One of my kids is vegetarian - and , while they don't offer much vegetarian kids food - they made him what he asked for. Sporting equipment was a bit outdated - but it didn't keep my kids from having fun with ping pong, shuffleboard, tennis, bocce, fishing and paddleboats. Requests for tips was a bit excessive, but again, the staff at this place was over the top kind and accomodating, so I don't mind rewarding that kind of behavior. I would go back.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

First let start with rooms, we had a two bedroom suite... their was nothing sweet about it. The furniture is just cheap press board stuff very old, scratched up table top, and falling apart. The beds were not very comfortable and sofa/couch bed was so old, the mattress had a U-shape plus very uncomfortable wires underneath as soon as you sat on it your rear would fall threw it... and that was a child about 70 pounds. The coffee maker was thick with gunk in it. However, when we told front desk about the situation, they did give a new one for the room within a few hours. The tvs in the room were 20 in and old very poor picture. The house keeping was inadequate, never enough towels (they should have the number of people in my group on record which was 7 total. I had to go to front desk for towels and toilet paper numerous times. Ok now let's go on to the food. The food was ok but very greasy lots of oil even on rice. the dining area had a leak roof right over the tables, meals they only include juice,, ice tea, fruit puch, water, milk, and coffee....soda was charged to your room. a glass of soda charge is 2.50.
Ok lets move on to tipping they ask for two dollars per/person for each meal. they wanted 4.00/person per night for activites director... and that was for two hours of bingo one night and a fire one night not worth it. and 2.00/person for housekeeping per day and it was not worth it. The pool was nice and clean...my kids loved the pool much more than zoom flume. The chairs and tables were cheap plastic and dirty from trees and bird poop and stained. The outdoor furniture was not cleaned not once since we arrived. My family and I stayed there for 4 nights and five days. They did not clean them at all. Actually, I cleaned it myself so that I can sit down. All pathways needed alot of work some of the pathways are collapsing so you need to be very carefull were you walk. the wood walkways are old and you easy get spliters and very slippery when wet. The fishing activity and paddle boats consisted of two paddle boats: one doesn't work and the other works fine. The pond looks more like a mud puddle. The fishing is a joke, they gave us broken fishing poles with a 10 foot piece of fishing line and a loaf of italian bread for the bait. The fish that we saw in the so called pond are no bigger then your finger. The handball court its made out of plywood and it is totaly warped and they did not supply us with a handball cuz they didn't have any. There is a tennis court with a real net but the rackets are in such bad condition that my daughter cut her hand on the piece of metal sticking out. They definately need to upgrade their spoting equipment!!! The
ping pong table was fine but paddels had little to no rubber left on them.
Dont think you are going to go over to the zume flume by cable bridge... it has not been in service for years. There are no hiking trails and the cable bridge are not as advertised. Zoom flume waterpark needs work too but its ok for a half day only 6 slides and 2 kiddie areas so kids got bored with it after half a day.
In the area there is nothing close by to do but "Speedway" but really cheesy the people that own it is very rude.
Getting back to resort, the people working the country resort are very nice, helpful, and acommodating.

Glassboro, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

Clean accommodations, 1 TV in "living area" and 1 TV in bedroom area--great when you have kids along. Our kids loved the freedom afforded by the resort and delighted in catching frogs by the small lake (fishing, too). Staff is unbelievably kind to children. The nightly activites sound hokey, but everyone had a blast! There is a heated swimming pool, tennis, ping pong, baseball, fishing, horseshoes, and the very large water park, which accommodates little ones and the thrill seekers. Don't miss the go-kart rides 10 mins. away (resort gives a half-price discount) and horseback riding less than five minutes away. This is a resort totally geared to de-stressing families. Simple and old fashioned with plenty to do in safety and comfort. At breakfast on our last day, the kids were making plans for next year. Stop at the organic farm stand on your way home for some great fruits, veggies and cheese.

• Liked — 2 TVs available in room
  • Disliked — nothing to dislike
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brooklyn, Ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

My family and I have just returned from the Country Place Resort. From the moment we checked in, we knew that the staff here was going to be very accomodating, and throughout our stay we found this to be the case. Our two bedroom suite was spacious for our family ( my husband, myself, 14 year old son, 14 year old nephew and 2 year old daughter). The room was clean and comfortable, and we had a very large private deck. Our room was located directly next to the pool, and right across from the main house where the dining room, game room, and bar were located. The resort guests also have a private entrance to the water park, and it is all so safe and self contained there is no fear of allowing older children to come and go as they please. Although there is a small road seperating the property, it was never an issue for us, as most of upstate NY has roads that double as walkways. There were no speeding cars, in fact there were barely any cars, as the roads are mostly uitilized by the golf carts the staff tools around in. NOT a problem. The meals were plentiful and the food is basically unlimited for hearty appetites. If your looking for 5 star gourmet dining, then this is not for you, but for good, old fashioned hearty meals that are very kid friendly, the resort is perfect. We ordered cocktails after meals that were easily charged to the room and were fairly priced. Tip envelopes are left on your table on the last morning of your stay, and since the wait staff rotates, it is totally up to you how to handle this. We gave the tip directly to our waitress on the first two days, but then we decided to utilize the envelopes.
We had car trouble during our stay and the staff came right over to help. One of the groundkeepers went to the adjacent water park to get mechanic who came right over to help us. On our final day we again had car trouble and the former owner of the resort, Mr. Frank Aragona, (he is fixture at the resort and is always around overseeing things) jumped into action and within minutes he placed a call to the local service shop, where our car was repaired at a fair price in a short time. We had to stay a bit longer than the check out time of 11 and again, the staff was accomodating.
We were originally booked to stay here for 3 nights/4days but we enjoyed it so much we decided to stay an extra night. If your family enjoys unlimited access to a water park, nighttime family activities, and relaxation in a friendly atmosphere, then this is the resort for you! We are already planning to return next year. ( We met several families who return during the same week every year!)

The Vulpi Family

• Liked — The friendly staff, the family activities, and the water park
  • Disliked — The only complaint is that perhaps the doors should have screen doors, so the doors can be left open without the pesky bugs getting in.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Country Place Resort at Zoom Flume Water Park? Share your experiences!