“Second year and we are planning our third.” 4 of 5 stars

The Country Place Resort at Zoom Flume Water Park
91 Shady Glen Road, East Durham, Durham, NY 12423   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in East Durham
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
“Second year and we are planning our third.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

The Country Place Resort is a quaint, family oriented resort in the Catskills. We stayed for 3 days 2 nights. I have 2 boys ages 7 & 8 and there is so much for them to do. The Zoom Flume Water Park is attached plus a heated pool, playgrounds and many many more activities.
The staff is extremely helpful and interested in your needs.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

My family visited the Country Place Resort/Zoom Flume Water Park in August 2010 for 4 nights. We are a family of 5 (myself, my husband, 12 year old daughter, 8 year old daughter and 3 year old son). We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The suite was extremely clean and comfortable for our stay. There was a queen bed in each bedroom, as well as a pull out couch in the living room. My girls shared one room, and my 3 year old son slept on a toddler size air mattress in the other bedroom with me and my husband (we brought the mattress from home). The staff was extremely helpful and accomodating. We had brought a favorite blanket from home to use on our bed and when it accidentally fell in the mud when we were unpacking, the hotel staff agreed to wash and dry it for us and had it ready at dinner that evening!
The food was completely edible and what I would expect from a small family style hotel. The breakfast choices were numerous and the pancakes were delicious! All 3 of my kids had no problem finding something they liked for dinner and the adults were all satisfied, as well.
The after-dinner entertainment was well thought out and varied each night, ranging from karaoke, a magician, outdoor movie and casino night. It was very nice to see the focus on "family time" and we took advantage of the options offered each evening. There was also shuffle board and bocce courts which were fun family options for after-dinner family time, as well.
The hotel offered discount tickets to Howe Caverns or Cooperstown Baseball Hall of Fame. We had 2 rainy days, so we took day trips to each. The kids loved the Zoom Flume water park which is conveniently located across a beautiful walking bridge from the hotel.
All in all, a wonderful, affordable family vacation.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Now the thing is that I went there during midweek and because I don't like to have too many people around, it was not bad since not many people will be out here in the middle of the week. I don't know if it will be crowed in the weekends or any other time. Overall place is not bad at all. In fact, I think it's basically the friendiness of the staff that kept the rating up at least a 4/5 overall .. at least for me, else it would only be 3.5/5. But as an engineer, I tend to like to break things down to critic things so here it is:

SERVICE/HOSPITALITY - 5/5
The People working at the front desk and the waiting staff there are friendly and welcoming. Most of the workers/staff there, both at the front desk and inside the park are mostly teenagers working there as a summer jobs. Yet, they were trained to provide good service. The Guests there all seems to be ok. Some are friendly just like many other places so no comment on the guests. Thus perfect rating for this part.

WATER PARK 4/5
The water park is perfect for kids and some teenagers who just wish to have some fun in the water, but nothing too crazy exciting. It's not as big as hurrican harbor or other water parks, but it's sufficient to go through everything within 1 day with a steady pace. Heck, I didn't even go on the black vortex nor the twin tubing when I could've. The teenage staff are ok.

RESORT 4/5
I had the 1 bdroom and that was very nice for just 5 extra bucks per person. But the bathroom was a bit old. The exhaust fan for the bathroom was really loud. But overall the place, the pond and the stay was pleasant enough. The heated-pool was awesome although it's a bit small. I don't know how it will be like during weekends or when it gets crowded. At the most people that was in the pool when I was there was 3 different guest groups and at times, it's just me. There are stuff to do at night..you just have to be out to do them if you like.. or you can just stay in and relax. There is a bar there. One small negative note is that they say there was wi-fi, but I didn't received any. Perhaps the wifi is in the main office/dining/centre area? But the rooms doesn't have wi-fi.

FOOD 3/5
The breakfast was the standard menu choices, but not as much variety as a diners of course. But it was sufficient to have a good meal. In fact, I will rate the breakfast to be 4/5. The dinner was not bad. We had a limited selection on the first night, and a buffet on the second night. The first night was not bad, but the buffet choices were not as nutritious as I would like them to be because the buffet was sloppy joes, hotdog, hamburgers, porkchops, corn, salad and some bread. So I gave buffet a 2/5, but the dinner selection and food a 3/5.
But there was 2 major annoyance which I have to note. The first one is that I don't know how the flies got inside this enclosed dining area nor do I know if other sitting areas had that many flies. But it was damn annoying. 2 of them were flying around distracting us and our kids whom freak out a bit. The 2nd one is that dishes and utensils were not as clean. There was either washer stains on them or that dish wasn't washed as clean since the one I had felt oilish on the face-up side! That's a big no no for me. Having worked in a restaruant when I was a kid, that is the number one thing basic thing to never do- dirty dishes and utensils.
It's for these reasons why I had subtract a rating point for the food. In fact, if it wasn't for the 2 distractions, the breakfast would've been the full 5/5.

One more point is the tipping envelope which I didn't like because it's gave a 'suggested' amount which in a way it made you feel like you have to pay tips. But I can see that they are suppose to have tips and many people just forgot or didn't think it was needed. So it's ok. What I did was give tips for the meals at the end of each meal instead of giving ALL tips at once at the end of your stay which is when the envelopes are given at your assigned meal table. I just gave whatever amount I think the housekeeping, waiting staff and the social directors deserved instead of the suggested amount and my amount can be either larger or smaller than the suggested amount.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Loved this place, staff was very helpful (waitress Megan was the best), food was very very good, social activities were well planned and fun. Forgot the social directors name but he was great. Wished the rooms were up to date more but were very clean. All in all it was a wonderful time, kids had fun.

Scheids from LI

Amherst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Our extended family has traveled to a different hotel fpr the past 8 years. There are 17 of us ranging in age from 7 to almost 70. After becomining dissappointed with our past accomadations we decided to try The Country Resort. From the spectacular view of the mountains to the clean large rooms and picturesque buildings we knew we were in for a treat. The Zoom Flume Water Park was easily accessed by all of us and was well staffed leaving us comforatable sending the teenagers in our party on their own. While all of this was wonderful it was the staff that made the trip special. our waitress Megan was outstanding even participating in our family activities by the trips end! hats off as well to Joe the activities director who could not be more accomodating and Josh the chef who personally checked in with our table to be certain that our resident vegetarian was pleased (even cooking her special meals). All of the food and desserts were delicious and more then we could finish!
We had a wonderful trip and look so forward to coming back with our family for many years to come.

ont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

My family and I stayed for 4 days and 3 nights last week. Our two girls ages 10 and 8 had a fabulous time. We had room # 1 with two queen beds with a sitting area. The room was clean and very spacious with an excellent location. The resort had many activities for the kids including a pool, bocce ball, ping pong, pool table, playground, basketball, etc. Every night there were different activities for the kids. The first night there was a magician and then an outdoor movie with popcorn, the next night we went on a wagon ride to a nearby farm to feed the animals and then there was a campfire with a sing along and smores. The final night we were there the wave pool in the Zoom Flume water park was open at night for resort guests only. There was a total of 7 kids in the pool ( max capacity was 800 ) Later that night the kids could make ice cream sundaes. The "Fun Crew" staff were full of enthusiasm as well as the wait staff. The food each night ( and morning ) was fabulous. I especially enjoyed the Western themed night with the ribs and chicken buffet along with corn on the cob, beans and delicious salads.
The Zoom Flume water park that was right across the pedestrian bridge was fantastic. We all enjoyed the lazy river, the wild river ride, the vortex, etc. The weather was beautiful and even though the park was busy at times we didn't have to wait very long for any of the attractions.
I would highly recommend this resort for families with children of any age.
It was a perfect end to our holiday after a busy few days in New York City.

Thanks !

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Bayside, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

This was our first time at the Country Place and Zoom Flume. Loved the grounds and views of the mountains were great! I have to say that the food prepared that weeked was some of the best, home cooked, "like mom" type food and ohhh so good. Found out that it was cooked by a woman named Briane, who is also a really nice person! She is one hell of a cook, and if you're lucky enough, she will be cooking for you!!!! And if you're even luckier, she'll make you this most delicious baked brie platter. It'll have your mouth watering! The staff was awesome. Very attentive and very nice. At the restaurant you get the same table everyday, and it's always set and waiting for you when you get there, and you usually have the same server, which is really cool. They had like a dinner theatre type who-done-it show which was fun and activities for the kids, and paddle boats on the lake. The water park is great...lots of cool slides and now a wave pool!!!! There are also areas for young children, which is excellent...our 15 month old loved it!!! My husband, my son and I had a fun-filled, wet weekend with some delicious food to boot!! We also really enjoyed talking to "The Captain", who took the time to talk to us and helped make our water park experience just that much more enjoyable!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Country Place Resort at Zoom Flume Water Park? Share your experiences!