“Different, but still high quality.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Medici House

Medici House
634 Main St, East Aurora, NY 14052 (Formerly Tantalus Restaurant Bar & Cafe)
716-652-0341
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 42 Restaurants in East Aurora
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
East Aurora, New York
“Different, but still high quality.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Change is good. After two visits to Medici House, my husband & I both agree that the food at the former Tantalus is every bit as good as it has been for years. What makes the food so good is the high quality of ingredients that are used in a creative, healthy, delicious way. The menu is sophisticated, yet you can still find a hamburger and the inventive artisan pizzas. Last night we enjoyed an exceptionally tasty minestrone and a creamy vegetable chowder. My husband, a lover of meat & large portions was very enthusiastic about his vegetarian feta cheese lasagna which was enormous. I had a nice size piece of salmon, perfectly cooked with a delicious combination of kalamata olives, grape tomatoes, lemon & parsley. It was served with risotto and broccoli rabe. The bill for the two dinners which included one cocktail, was well under $50.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“I want Tantalus!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I was so excited to go to my favorite restaurant! I was there just 2 months ago. As I walked in and sat down, I noticed right away the change in decor, the waitstaff uniforms, their changed demeanor...it was much more formal, less casual. I was given a menu and !!!! Medici House?? What? Where am I? I was shocked and not pleased. I almost left right then, but decided to, unhappily, give it a chance.
Sigh. I ordered my favorite mussels and clams in a tomato basil sauce (Tantalus called it "Extravaganza"). Yay! The sauce was the same!! But the clams were watery and ruined the sauce. Also were not cooked properly. The mussels, eh. This was an appetizer, but it was $18(!) so I only ordered a side salad, which was extremely boring. I thought the bread was ok...the oil and balsamic vinegar to dip was boring and tasteless as well. I understand the simple-ness of Tuscan food, but this town needs and loved Tantalus!! Why Why Why????
(Also did not like the decor and music.) Will not go back....Unless I see "Tantalus" on the windows again.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Lancaster, New York
“Change not always good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

As a frequent patron of Tantalus I was surprised/disappointed to learn of its closing. After learning that the same owners were taking the establishment in a new direction I was somewhat relived and intrigued to see what they came up with. WOW, what a disappointment!!! While the food was decent (although woefully smaller portions) the service was less than poor. Not sure I can blame the wait staff though as the average age of the people working that night was probably 18 years old. Now I don't want to trash them bc of their age but more their lack of experience that left our group disappointed and "thirsty" most of the night. Dinners were slow to arrive and when they did only 7 of the 8 arrived, leaving one of our guest to wait even longer for his meal. By the time it did come the rest of the party had long finished theirs ( they did comp the late arriving meal)
While I have zero problem with the owners (and I REALLY wonder if it is the SAME owners) trying to upgrade to a more upscale Italian restaurant it was far from another establishment that recently did the same Rizzoto's on Maple. (excellent by the way)
I do plan on giving Medici House another shot bc "once is not a pattern" but it just may not be as soon I would have hoped.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Amherst, New York
“We miss Tantalus!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I went to what we thought was "Tantalus" for dinner tonight. We were surprised to be greeted at the door for a change (we usually have to walk through the bar area to be greeted and get a table). However, they told us it would be a 20-25 minute wait which turned out to be 40 minutes (never happened to us when it was Tantalus). Once we were seated we noticed the black curtains hanging from the ceiling, the melted candles removed from the windows and a huge looming painting of somebody's medieval dead uncle staring down at everyone. Also, the music played made me feel like I was ready to board a ride at Disney World. Seriously- dramatic and unsettling. My husband then noticed the name on the menu had been changed to "Medici House." I was so disappointed my favorite grilled chicken and avocado salad had been removed from the menu. I also missed all the unique choices the other menu had to offer. This menu is smaller and pricier... My husband ordered pasta and did not realize it did not come with a salad (which would have been $4 more). We ordered our food and waited 15 minutes before another waiter asked if we wanted bread. Doesn't bread automatically come with the dinner? We said yes. Everyone around us had not eaten. We ended up getting our food before anyone else seated around us (even though they were seated first). We felt especially bad for the couple with the little girl who watched as everyone got served their dinner as their waitress brought them baskets of bread and bottles of ketchup every ten minutes. It definitely was not the experience we were hoping for, and unfortunately, as much as we love the atmosphere, we will not be going back. The food was good, but portions much smaller & more expensive. The wait time was long. They just seemed unorganized. I thought perhaps it was different owners, but it looks like they haven't changed. Maybe if they see how unhappy we are with the changes, they will bring at least some of Tantalus back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Buffalo, New York
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

So excited to be going back to Tanelus and imagine my surprise finding that it changed. Stopped for lunch and was so disappointed. I had minestrone soup which was Luke warm but good. Also had the Palle salad which was awful. Fried goat cheese balls that were cold and coated in something that tasted like sawdust. The balls were pan fried which didn't give the cheese a chance to get creamy. Just a bad dish. Our server took my soup off the bill to compensate for the cold cheese balls. My husband had a burger which he enjoyed. Service was very slow. Definitely will not be going back. The kitchen needs help!

• 2 of 5 stars Food