“Never before and never again will I experience a food experience so magical” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DAMON BAEHREL

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Earlton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Since 1989,DAMON BAEHREL has worked completely alone at his home, which is where his small, handbuilt, 20 seat restaurant & 12 acre property/farm, that is the only source of ingredients for his original NATIVE HARVEST CUISINE, is located. Having no suppliers, Damon also creates all of the flours, fresh pressed oils, cheeses, pineneedle cured meats and vinegars from cultivated & native ingredients found on the property. Formally known as Damon Baehrel at The Basement Bistro, the restaurant has become a destination for food enthusiasts from around the world, often waiting years for their reservation, excited to take in the 4-5 hour Native Harvest experience.
New York, New York, United States
“Never before and never again will I experience a food experience so magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We waited for two and a half years. I'd forget about it for long bouts and then I'd think about it for some reason, and wonder if my name was still on the list. I got a call about a year ago asking if we could come the next Wednesday. We live in Brooklyn and only go up to the Catskills on the weekends so I said I unfortunately could not do it. And then, the call came that changed my food life... my husband and I and our two neighbors were invited last Saturday. A special seating was arranged for us, and just us. We had SEVENTEEN course, each one more delicious than the last. The water was actually sycamore sap - it was to die for. Seriously, water. There was no one bit of food that we didn't all eat to its completion, often in stunned, impressed silence. Despite the price tag being higher than any of us has ever seen in a restaurant, we all agreed it was a complete bargain given our experience. Needless to say, we're going back again... though it might not be until 2036 given the popularity of this place.

• Visited December 2012

New York City, New York
“Still truckin'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

T've been to the Basement Bistro three times in the past four years and every time I go I bring a different group of people who I have pumped up so much with anticipation that I fear they will be disappointed. Never happens. The reality exceeds even my memory of it from the previous visit and the most skeptical foodies I've brought are invariably blown away by the entire experience.

Rather than duplicate the ecstatic remarks others have said here, I'll simply say that if Chef Damon presented the food via robot or did his presentation without serving any food at all, the experience would have been extraordinary. Put together, it is easily the most memorable culinary experience of my pretty long life, during which i've gone to the best of NY and Paris, and ranks pretty high if we eliminate "culinary."

On a more mundane, but still amazing (to me) note, having been there twice before and not in two years, and not being a celebrity, I was astounded that Damon not only recognized me this time(and none of my companions, who had never been there, so I know it's not an act). But, beyond that, he also rememberd the obscure town on the other side of the river I spend summers at, where I sat last, and my wine preference as being red.

• Visited May 2012
NYC
“Truly unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Read the other reviews on him, they are 100% the same and accurate. This is truly a unique dinning experience you are unlikely to experience anywhere else.
Having dinned all over the world I can say I have never had such a wonderful different meal. I would describe it as Heston Blumenthal becomes a mountain man living among nature, cooking with what is there. A technical, inventive, self taught artist.
I could write much more but it would just be repeating most of the other reviews.

Great experience for friends, groups, families with children over age 15.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
nyc
“get a reservation if you can”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

we've been here twice. it's a special thing my family does together. it is memorable and delicious. it's different than any restaurant you've ever been to. you'll eat things you didn't know were food and will be shocked by the freshness of the tastes and the inventiveness of it all. damon's a wonder. make time to eat here before he moves on to other things. genius. be sure to tell them when you're making the reservation if there are things you can't eat -- there's no ordering, the meal just happens.

• Visited August 2012
Albany, New York
“Once in a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This was the most expensive meal I have ever had but worth every penny and more. Fifteen courses of the highest quality food, the most delicious food, the most interesting food i have ever had. The preparation was so unique that there is no place on the planet that you could ever find food like this.

• Visited August 2012