“Historic inn with modern comforts--good choice for a woman traveling alone” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Big Moose Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Big Moose Inn to your Saves list
Big Moose Inn
1510 Big Moose Road, Eagle Bay, NY 13331   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Eagle Bay B&B and Inns
Fairfax, Virginia
“Historic inn with modern comforts--good choice for a woman traveling alone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

The Big Moose Inn, under new management as of spring 2010, delivers all the ambience of a historic inn and Adirondack "great camp" along with the modern amenities that I hate to give up when I travel. The inn retains its turn-of-the-20th-century look (and closely resembles an old postcard photo I have of the place when it was "Burdick's Camp") but offers comfy rooms with modern bathrooms. There was no cell phone service (as is true throughout much of the Adirondacks) but Big Moose offers free super fast wireless internet so you can skype with your loved ones or check email. Framed newspaper articles on the walls of the inn recall the famous Chester Gillette/Grace Brown murder on Big Moose Lake that was later novelized by Theodore Dreiser in his book An American Tragedy. I was traveling alone so had booked a queen-sized room, but they upgraded me to the king-sized Pine Cone Room, with a magnificent view of the lake, at no extra charge. The bed was comfortable. Some pesky flying bugs (like little green gnats) swirled around the lamp as I read in bed, but that's the kind of thing to expect when staying right on a lake. The bullfrogs and loons I heard calling across the lake as I drifted off to sleep more than compensated for the annoyance of those bugs! The inn is medium sized (about 17 rooms?) and was a good fit for a woman traveling alone. Other guests were friendly and I could socialize when I felt like it and be alone when I wanted. A continental breakfast buffet was included in the room price. It was filling, though no protein other than hard-boiled eggs. You can take your breakfast out on the front deck and look out over the lake as you sip your coffee--awesome! Lunch and dinner are served in both the restaurant and the bar. I ate dinner in the bar, which was a friendly, casual place to mingle. The ceasar salad with salmon scampi was delicious. Several docks with Adirondack chairs are an inviting place to lounge and read. Canoes and kayaks are available to borrow. I intend to visit again, and this time I'll bring my husband so he can enjoy this gem of an inn!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Hebrew first
baltimore, md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We spent three nights, two full days at Big Moose Inn. The rustic charm of the inn and the beauty of the lake made this a perfect place for us to enjoy the Adirondacks. Our room was comfortable and clean. The owners are very friendly and eager to help. We enjoyed the restaurant and the extensive wines available. The crispy duck was excellent as were the steaks and prime rib. There are kayaks and canoes to enjoy on the lake, or you can sit on the porch with a cold Saranac lager and a good book. Lots of hiking trails in the area. A 45 minute drive to Blue Mountain to visit the Adirondack Museum is a good way to spend a half a day.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Albany, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Looking for peaceful, beautiful scenery, great food and rustic surroundings, then this is the place. Hard working owners Mark and Susan Mayer have a dream and they are fulfilling it for us and themselves. We no sooner got our luggage to the room then we spent the first hour just relaxing on the porch rockers. If Adirondack is what your looking for then this is it. Everywhere you look it's tradional furniture and decor. There are several docks for your convenience to park your boat or take a swim. There is a well stocked bar for your before or after dinner drink with tables for casual dining. The dining room is a pleasant, good sized room with servers that live up to or beyond expectations. We each had the petite 6oz. filet mignons and were exceptionally satisfied. Our apple crisp dessert was to die for.
Our evening was quite and relaxing with a gentle breeze blowing through our room. A good nights sleep was had by all. The morning arrived with a burned off fog and a continental breakfast. Mrs. G and I then spent some time taking pictures and enjoying the view of the lake from the dock.
We thank Mark and Susan for a great time and wish them much success with their new venture!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
fort worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Recently traveled up to Eagle Bay for a visit and chose to stay at the Big Moose Inn. The new owners have done a terrific job sprucing up the place. The rooms are wonderful and clean. The service here is fantastic...........as is the food!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Galesville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

What a horrible stay. My Son and I spent one night here. We were looking for a walk back in time it had been about 20 years since my last visit we arrived on Saturdaynight looking for great food and a nice room what we got was food poisoning and an unclean bathroom shower I have never been so sick my son tasted the crab and said it was off I had a few bites of my meal and that was all I could handle. After a horrible night on the squeekiest beds we have ever slept in when checking out I told the owner about my horrible night she who was to busy on the computer to even look at me and said thanks for the info its good to know. What no sorry no let me give you your money back for your dinner nothing she was very rude and we have now taken them off our August and September visit list of both places to stay and places to eat. I have told everyone I know who viists the area to stay away!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

Outstanding Adirondack Inn with a lot of character. Great place for snowmobiling! The staff is very helpful and friendly and the food in the restaurant is outstanding from burgers and beer in the bar to wine and gourmet dinners in the restaurant. I will be back!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Well this was my first time in the Adirondacks and I hit a home run when it comes to picking out accommodations. The Big Moose Inn is on a beautiful part of the lake, the people who work there are great and most of the guests I met had been going there for years. The location is perfect because you can easily do day trips to all of the sites, including Sagamore, Old Forge, Raquette Lake, the Adirondack Museum, Stillwater, etc. The best part is the dinners. If you want some of the best food ever, and I'm comparing this to great restaurants in San Francisco, Chicago, and New York, you will want to eat here. From the Roasted Duckling to the Veal Osso Buco, everything was presented perfectly and tasted delicious. I would give the hotel, staff, and chef all 5 stars. I’m returning next year for sure.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Big Moose Inn? Share your experiences!