“New Owners need a lesson in Hotel management” 1 of 5 stars

1510 Big Moose Road, Eagle Bay, NY 13331   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Eagle Bay B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Galesville, Maryland
“New Owners need a lesson in Hotel management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

What a horrible stay. My Son and I spent one night here. We were looking for a walk back in time it had been about 20 years since my last visit we arrived on Saturdaynight looking for great food and a nice room what we got was food poisoning and an unclean bathroom shower I have never been so sick my son tasted the crab and said it was off I had a few bites of my meal and that was all I could handle. After a horrible night on the squeekiest beds we have ever slept in when checking out I told the owner about my horrible night she who was to busy on the computer to even look at me and said thanks for the info its good to know. What no sorry no let me give you your money back for your dinner nothing she was very rude and we have now taken them off our August and September visit list of both places to stay and places to eat. I have told everyone I know who viists the area to stay away!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Hebrew first
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

Outstanding Adirondack Inn with a lot of character. Great place for snowmobiling! The staff is very helpful and friendly and the food in the restaurant is outstanding from burgers and beer in the bar to wine and gourmet dinners in the restaurant. I will be back!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Well this was my first time in the Adirondacks and I hit a home run when it comes to picking out accommodations. The Big Moose Inn is on a beautiful part of the lake, the people who work there are great and most of the guests I met had been going there for years. The location is perfect because you can easily do day trips to all of the sites, including Sagamore, Old Forge, Raquette Lake, the Adirondack Museum, Stillwater, etc. The best part is the dinners. If you want some of the best food ever, and I'm comparing this to great restaurants in San Francisco, Chicago, and New York, you will want to eat here. From the Roasted Duckling to the Veal Osso Buco, everything was presented perfectly and tasted delicious. I would give the hotel, staff, and chef all 5 stars. I’m returning next year for sure.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Rochester, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We have stayed at the Big Moose Inn almost every year for fifteen years, and have always enjoyed the ambience. This is an old inn with rustic character, and a beautiful setting on Big Moose Lake. There is a large porch with rockers for afternoon cocktails or to sip your morning coffee. Canoes, kayaks, and a paddle boat are available for free and there are lots of nearby hiking trails. A generous continental breakfast is included. This time, we stayed in one of their lower priced rooms as the price of the larger rooms has continued to climb. We have stayed in the small rooms before, and knew what we were getting into. However, the weeknight price of $89 for a tiny room, with a double bed and detached bath has finally exceeded the value. These rooms are in need of updating, with better lighting and window shades, and new sinks. The atmosphere of the Inn has changed a bit, with t-shirts and sweatshirts for sale in the lobby. We love the Big Moose Inn and want to continue to be regulars but do question whether it is worth the price at this point.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
elbridge, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Big Moose Inn, in the room called Moonstruck. The room was as described on their web site. It was very clean and the bed was quite cozy. We absolutely loved the place. The people who work there and the owner make you feel so welcome and will go out of their way to help you. For example, the continental breakfast isn’t available until 8:00. My husband and I are usually hiking by 7:00. The woman at the desk set up a coffee pot that we could turn on in the morning so that we could have coffee before starting our day. The restaurant was top notch. I had the duck and it was one of the best I’ve ever been served. The tavern is large and very inviting too. Some people have stated the place needed upgrade. I can’t say that about the room we were given. It was lovely and the rest of the Inn was decorated in your typical Adirondack Style. Yes the stairs creaked and the wall paper in the hallway was very floral. It’s a very old building so the stairs will creak. I found that part charming. I highly recommend The Big Moose Inn.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Larchmont, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed three nights at the Big Moose Inn, which is right on Big Moose Lake, just outside of Inlet, NY. The Inn is more like a big bed and breakfast, since continental breakfast was served. The rooms facing the lake have a fantastic view; in early morning, there is a fog drifting over the lake, and it is an amazing scene. There is a large porch with comfy rocking chairs, and hummingbird feeders. You can watch the hummingbirds zoom around as you dine in the dining room overlooking the lake. The food was fantastic - had osso bucco one night and excellent fish the next. We went hiking; in warmer weather, there are swimming holes all over.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

On arrival there’s very steep hill down to lodge & lodge lower parking area which that night froze over & was then covered in ice & not sanded at all for 3 days we stayed.My husband finally sanded it himself on departure(sand inside bar door entrance)due to having to get up the hill with our truck & snowmobile trailer while the owner,Robert Hankey,stood there observing.There was no food available"due to no one being there, guess we didn't count"for 2 days of 3 stayed.The room first 2 days was freezing cold, which gas fireplace helped take chill off. Then on 3rd day room was 100° & we had to sleep with one window open(second window wouldn't open due to rotten sill)& no covers & still unbearable.Jacuzzi tub had scum line & shower door clear caulk had what looked like black mold behind it but inn manager Sue Ellen Mathers said it was just stain.There were two spots on the ceiling,one in the entry way & one in the bathroom damaged from water leak with sheet rock hanging down alittle.Continental breakfast consisted of stale bagels,english muffins,small boxes cereal and let's not forget the fermenting fruit cut up in bowl floating in fermenting juice served 2 days in a row even after mentioned to Inn owner Robert Hankey.One morning we left to go get GOOD breakfast & left"Do Not Disturb"sign on room door & locked room door to return & find bed made, no clean sheets just made, despite the sign.Inside room the door had heavy duty hook & eye lock but eye was broke off so there was no way to lock door besides doorknob lock, we mentioned to owner but it was not fixed.One good thing is the bartending & cook STAFF is very friendly.The one dinner we did get was very good.My advise is go somewhere else to stay & “if” the bar & restaurant are open go eat & drink only.Hope this helps the next victim.For the money per night it was not at all what we expected after looking at the web site & reading couple of reviews.The manager Sue Ellen did give us a $50.00 gift card when we left after our conversation about heat & mold but we WON’T be using it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Big Moose Inn? Share your experiences!