“Could be better” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Hot and cold antipasto is good the rest could be improved. Service is good. Street parking with meters.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

New Haven, Connecticut
“We're Fans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Go eat here.

Really that is all of a review I should have to write about Sam's. Go eat there. Try the "Green Bean Salad with Gorgonzola cheese." Unbelievably good.

I had the cavatelli and meatballs. The cavatelli were "al dente", the sauce tasted like fresh tomatoes and the meaballs were my favorite type: just enough spices and firm, so much so you eat them (or at least I did) with a knife and fork.

My wife and the linguine and carbonara sauce. I am surprised she didn't lick the plate as she told me it was some of the best she had ever had.

We split the American cheesecake. It was airy and fluffy and had no discernible crust. It was quite tasty but I think I like "N.Y. Style" with a graham cracker crust better.

Cappuccino was superb.

Our ONE complaint might be that the bread was , "eh." For a place THIS good there should have been better bread.

Okay, full disclosure: I grew up in Dobbs Ferry and up until age 17 used to go to Sam's every Wednesday night for spaghetti, meatballs and a soda. Back in those days it cost me $1.50 for all three. That was 40+ years ago. The food costs a little more now but it is still terrific.

The service was attentive without being overly so. We tipped accordingly.

We'll see them again soon.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
yonkers, ny
“An old favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I have been going here occasionally for years and are never disappointed. The menu is traditional and comprehensive with daily specials. Everything is always delicious. It isn't fancy but is well-maintained and comfortable. The service is usually very attentive but had slipped a bit this past visit. All in all, a good, local neighborhood restaurant worth a visit.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Plantation, Florida
“Good Food and Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We went to Sam's with friends and had a good time. The food is very good and the service is excellent. The atmosphere is very relaxing. I had soft shell crab which was good. Their eggplant parmigiana is excellent!! Our friends all seemed to be pleased with their food as well. We try to visit Sam's any time we are in Dobbs Ferry.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
White Plains, New York
“Great pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

SAMs is known for their pizza. They have some pretty good pasta dishes too. You don't come here for a special date because its not fancy. There are bright lights and no ambiance. You come here instead of some of the other places in town if you want to eat real Italian food.

Visited May 2013