“A Lovely Family-Run, Motel with Fantastic Watersports Facilities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Villas On Lake George

and 1 more site!
You added The Villas On Lake George to your Saves list
The Villas On Lake George
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   3908 Lake Shore Drive, Lake George, Diamond Point, Lake George, NY 12824 (Formerly Thunderbird Resort & Marina)   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Diamond Point B&B and Inns
NYC
“A Lovely Family-Run, Motel with Fantastic Watersports Facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

I can't believe that I stayed at the same hotel the other reviewers in this group. My husband booked this place without reading reviews, and after I had read some reviews, I have to say I was a little worried about where we were going.

I could not have been more pleasantly surprised when we arrived at this lovely, family-run, clean and friendly resort. No, it's not a fancy, five-star hotel. So, if that's what you're looking for, you're in the wrong place.

BUT, it is a wonderful motel, with basic but clean rooms, located just outside the town of Bolton Landing.

The motel has a cute and beautifully-kept beach right on the lake, with a great deck filled with sun loungers looking over the lake, and numorous boating rentals, including jet-skis, banana boat rides, tube rides, various types of motor boats rentals, and paddle boats.

The family who run the resort were nothing but polite and friendly throughout our stay, and treat every guest like old friends. The entire place has a warm, and welcoming feel.

We stayed there a few weeks ago, and even drove over two hours for the day this weekend to hang out and rent jet skis.

WE WILL DEFINITELY BE GOING BACK AGAIN AND AGAIN AND RECOMMENDING TO ALL OUR FRIENDS.

Give it a try!

• Liked — Staff and facilities
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Go jet-skiing early in the day. The lake is less choppy.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2006

and if this was a kennel, I wouldn't let my dog stay there. I think we should jail Al Qaida there - then they'll lead us to Osama.

Stayed June 2006
Franklin Park, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2006

We stayed at the Thunderbird last June for Americade. It is difficult to find availability that week, and we finally found one that had rooms, for a resonable price.
We were very dissapointed in the service. The owner could not even find our reservation, but finally gave us an avialable room. It was OK.
However.... housekeeping was terrible. We could not get clean towels. I went to get them myself twice.
The toilet clogged on our very last day, so we just left it that way, and went home.
other than that, the 2-level "townhouse" with upstairs bedroom was OK. Tiny living room, but it was adequate.

Unfortunately, other friends booked it again this year for the same Americade week. I am afraid to go back, afraid of the service, and the housekeeping.

IF they cleaned up the rooms a bit, hired responsible people, and gave us TOWELS and cleaned daily, it would not be a terrible place. That is the bare minimum a motel should do.
And they cannot lose reservations!!!!!! That is the bare basics.

• Stayed June 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

The hotel s a dump! We got there and after one look at the mold in the room walked out and never came back!

• Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2005

Made a reservation 2/05 for summer vacation; mailed deposit & requested confirmation or receipt. Owner refused to provide confirmation, then cancelled our summer vacation. We demanded the return of our deposit - owner sent us a check --- that bounced!!

I would suggest you never stay here!

Stayed July 2005
Stamford, CT.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

I hated the Thunderbird! When my family and I went there we thought it would be nice, because my wife and I went there when we were in our 20's when it was nice! Whenm we got there we just saw it was a dump. The only good part was the water, both pool and beach. But, the room... Forget about it! The bathroom was disgusting (never cleaned), and the a/c stunk. We sweat the whole night and we hated it. So that morning, we decided to leave. AND NEVER GO BACK!

• Stayed August 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2004

Not only was this disgusting motel not even close to a resort, the marina was a broken down dock and a beach of mud!!!!!!! The so called "family suite" was a two bedroom delapidated efficency apartment with 1970's broken furniture and a stench that made a skunk smell good. The so called"one bedroom suite" was a room in a rooming house with a bed, a toilet, a sink, and a tub. The smells throughout the entire place were unrecognizable and the beds looked as if any second bed-bugs were going to take over. Needless to say, my family was horrified upon arrival, and thank god we inspected the premises before Martha got any more of our money. We didn't stay or check-in and our money for the one night stay was not refunded. They totally misrepresent the accomodations on the web-site. I would like to know where the pictures of the accomodations were taken, because they definately were not of the rooms at the Thunderbird. You know things are bad when a 10 and an 11 year old are afraid to even walk through, much less stay overnight!!! Take our advice and never stay there!!!!!!

Been to The Villas On Lake George? Share your experiences!