“Old Fart Bike Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dexter 1855 House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dexter
Dexter 1855 House
You added Dexter 1855 House to your Saves list
414 Brown Street, Dexter, NY 13634   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Dexter B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Old Fart Bike Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Excellent rooms, great breakfast and friendly hosts

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Deborah and Robert's home is by far one of my favorite places to stay. They really know how to do it right! My husband and I have no complaints. Chocolates and brandy in the room, the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. The kitchen is for guests so you can feel free to use it, since they have another living area for themselves. These two are so very accommodating, gracious and helpful. They want to make your stay perfect and they do! I would stay here again! This is a nice place to stay if you are visiting Sackett's Harbor or Watertown. It is close by to these towns and there are some nice antique places in the area, which we love to shop at. We could not have asked for anything more and only wished we had stayed here more than one night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Oswego, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

From the first phone call I knew that this was going to be an incredible experience! Deborah and Robert were very accommodating, extremely attentive, and went above and beyond all expectations, needs and desires. Their hospitality and personalized service was on par with any Four Diamond establishment. Deborah and Robert treated us as if we were long friends, and with warmth and great conversation. Deborah’s breakfasts started our days off with such pleasure, and Robert added humor and great stories to our meals. The rooms were wonderfully decorated, extremely clean, very cozy and comfortable, and came with perks of bottled water and brandy. Shower provisions were supplied and towels were abundant. We enjoyed breakfast on the back terrace, and evening conversation on the front porch. Visit in the summer when you can enjoy the beautiful garden and the quietness of the quaint town. Stroll around the house to admire the art, antiques, stained glass, interior finishings and the china. There is a neat story behind everything! The price was extremely reasonable in comparison with other B&Bs in Upstate New York, and especially with the level of service received. Coming from a family of restaurateurs, and being a constant traveler myself, I without hesitation recommend Dexter 1855 House for business and/or pleasure. Truly a wonderful stay!! As Deborah insisted, we left with no bags under our eyes!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
San Antonio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

I stayed at the Dexter 1855 House Bed & Breakfast in 2010 and had a lovely experience. I needed temporary lodging in Jan 2011, and thought this would be the perfect place. My husband and I both spoke with the owners by telephone and thought I would have the perfect set up. I inquired about their carriage house which was more private and apartment like. It was occupied, but was told they had another room I might be interested in. I was told there was an efficiency-like room on the ground floor that had its own entrance. If I committed, I could rent it for $900 per month. I was planning on staying 5 months. I was late on my arrival date, but had spoken by telephone to the wife of the owner. I told her that I would be happy to pay for my efficiency room so I wouldn't lose it. I arrived 3 days behind schedule and was shown by the owner to a differenct room than what we talked about. He acted annoyed and said they hadn't heard from me. I stated that I contacted his wife. I said I reserved the Lincoln Room, and he then took me there. Once I saw the room, I was very upset. It was not an efficiency. The room was simply a guest room/private bath that could be entered from the house's interior, and had it's own door to the outside. There was no kitchenette. I felt very deceived. I had just driven 18 hours over 2 days thinking that I would have the perfect place to stay temporarily. I expressed my concerns to which the owner said it is actually better than an efficiency because I had the use of the main house's kitchen and common living area. That may be true for some, but this was not what I was told, nor what I expected or asked for. I immediately started looking for other arrangements because I did not trust the owner any longer. I found a small rental immediately. Instead of being gracious about their obvious mistake in room description, I was charged $280 for one night's stay. Keep in mind they charge $300 a week for long term guests. They charged me for the delayed time of my arrival, my one night's stay, plus an additional day for having my suitcase in their B&B while I looked for other accomodations. The bottom line is I was decieved and had to pay $280 for it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

From my first phone call to checkout, deb and robert made me feel like family, in the most positive sense of the word. And wait til you taste debs cooking!! Professional yet laid back at the same time, the innkeepers could not be more welcoming. Rooms are spacious and and quiet and mine had a bath and flat screen tv. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2010
Cocoa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I stayed in 3 different local B&Bs in the Watertown area during my recent business/leisure trip. Staying at the Dexter 1855 was one of the highlights. My partner and I could not get over how comfy we felt from the moment we walked into Deb and Robert's home. They were welcoming, kind, caring, excellent hosts. This couple loves what they do and they do it so very well. You will not be disappointed in your stay at the Dexter 1855 house. It truly is a lovely experience from the room to the wonderful breakfast, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

What a beautiful, welcoming place. I travel just about every week for work and it was a treat to stay here! Deborah and Robert are kind, considerate and gracious hosts. The rooms were very clean and adorable, the beds are extremely comforatable, and the breakfast was amazing. This is the first time I wish I had longer to stay away from home..I would have loved to soak up the atmosphere and chat more and then snooze a bit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Dexter 1855 House? Share your experiences!