“A Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in DeWitt
Guildford, England
“A Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

This was our first 'walk in' booking on this vacation in the USA and it was a pleasant surprise after staying at a 'take it or leave it' business standard BW the previous night.

As other reviewers have pointed out the rooms are a bit on the small side but all we want is sleep so no real matter to us, what did matter was that the room was clean. The guys in reception were friendly, helpful and chatty.

Our second night in the USA and we were tired and jet-lagged. This motel is set back from the main road and is surrounded on two sides by a residential area. There is a KFC next door but this did not generate any traffic noise or cooking odours. We got a deep uninterrupted night's sleep which we really needed. This is for us the real plus point of this motel

A few days later we were on our way back from Niagara Falls and we happily stayed for a second night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Decent location and reasonable staff but unfortunately overrun with bedbugs. We booked 2 rooms in different buildings within the hotel. The sweet musty smell in the rooms should have been a warning clue to us ...

I awoke covered with bites (more than 100 bites!)... To my horror, when I checked the room further, I found black bed bug fecal stains and bloodstains on the mattress. I was also fortunate to capture some photos of the offending buggers (see appended photos) still engorged on my blood. My mother and son who were in the other room developed delayed hypersensitivity rashes and bite marks the next day.

Management provided a refund (albeit a partial one) and were apologetic. (Man, I will be really upset if I bring some of these critters home!)

This hotel has potential for thrifty travelers and is in a good strategic location (and I understand bed bugs are in the 5 star hotels too) But right now, this infestation appears to be hotel-wide and quite severe (and unfortunately will be very difficult to eradicate).

Bottom Line: if you are in the mood for donating blood, EconoLodge Dewitt is for you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Ostracod999

Travelers are raving about these DeWitt hotels

Fayetteville, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I stayed at this hotel last night with my 2 elderly parents and my young nephew. The hotel was clean and staff was freindly. We were able to check in very late with no problems. I had asked for a handicap room to accomodate my father who uses a wheelchair. The handicap room was easy to get in but once in the room it was very small and difficult to maneuver. The bathroom was definitley not meant for use with a wheel chair or even a walker. We only stayed the one night but if I had known that handicap room only meant that it was on the ground floor I would have gone elsewhere. My biggest issue is with the size of the room and selling it as handicapped. It is only an Econo Lodge and I realize this is not a mid or high end hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

My husband and I were at the Syracuse Nationals this year and we stayed here many because they took dogs. I had read the reviews prior to booking and liked what I saw. Much to our pleasure the place was more then we hoped for. The service was good and the room was immaculate.. I would absolutely stay there again and mist likely it will be next year for the show again. Thank you very much to Ambu, who took care of our every need. T

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Forest City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

First of all, I never book any hotel or motel without checking Tripadvisor.com first! This little motel was simply wonderful for the price! A nice location and very clean rooms. And very quiet also. I stayed here with my 5 year old son and was very happy with the accommodations. From check in to check out there were no problems. The owner and front desk clerk checked me in with no problems. Very friendly and helpful. The room was plain and simple and very clean. Spotless bathroom. There was an iron and ironing board in the room as well. The motel is located in the same parking lot as a KFC, and a Denny's is right next door to the KFC. A large mall is nearby. There is a Barnes and Noble within walking distance as well. A great place to stay for the price that they charge.

• Liked — The Location And Clean Rooms
  • Disliked — I Could Not Find Anything That I Did Not Like About This Property
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Daniel H
Eastern Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

Stayed one weekend night. Although certainly not fancy, the accommodations were adequate for a short stay. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

Vanilla or unscented deoderizer would have been better than what was there, but the scent wasn't overwhelming.

If stairs are a problem I do recommend that you ask for a room flush with the parking lot. The motel is built into a hill - I had to climb up two steep steps to get to the door and another steep step to get into my room.

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Muffet37
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

Let me say first that I wasn't super impressed upon driving up to the place, it has the look of a roadside motel. However, when we saw the room my fears were allayed. And honestly, it was nice to have the car just outside the room - certainly made packing/unpacking easier and more convenient.

The hotel is just off busy Erie Blvd between a neighborhood and a strip mall/fast food restaurant. Given that however, our room was quiet and road noise was far enough away to not be noticeable. Even though we sometimes came in quite late, it felt safe and secure.

Our room was clean, nicely appointed and even smelled good (clean and fresh). The ac worked great too - yep, one even needs ac in Syracuse occasionally! A hairdryer, iron and ironing board, and free local phone calls were nice little "extras". We stayed four days visiting family and were quite pleased with our stay.

The hotel staff were pleasant and always gave us extra towels when we asked. They offered a complementary breakfast but we always ended up elsewhere and never took advantage of it.

The location (close to Fayetteville, Manlius and Pompey) in Dewitt was extremely convenient for us. It's great for shopping too - Wegmans is right around the corner for good, fresh foodstuff and Shoppingtown Mall is next door. The LL Bean Outlet is also just down the road. While there were less expensive hotels at Carrier Circle, I think we saved on gas (and driving time) by being close to where we wanted to be.

If I had a complaint, maybe it would be that the towels were really cheap feeling and there never seemed to be enough. That's it.

Good location, good price (no surprises), and a good, clean room. We'll definitely go back when we're visiting the area again.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RstyLdy
Also consider these accommodations in or near DeWitt
Hampton Inn & Suites Syracuse Erie Blvd/I-690
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dewitt (Syracuse)
Hotel Skyler
Crowne Plaza Hotel
#16 of 32 in Syracuse
3.5 of 5 stars 604 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Syracuse / Carrier Circle

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!