“Bed Bugs” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Econo Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in DeWitt
Danbury, Connecticut
“Bed Bugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

PLEASE do NOT book this hotel. Bed bugs were found in 3 rooms we were given!
The management has a lot of excuses but offers no compensation just another
bed bug ridden room. We were there for our grandson's baptism and it was a
nightmare! Please go to their website for that hotel and see that it was fore warned by
another review. I wish I had done that myself.

Room Tip: Bed bugs were in all three (3) rooms we were given. Rooms 215, 201 and 107.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We have stayed here several time when visiting family in the area for which it is geographically convenient. It's an old motel--at least 40 yrs. old to my knowledge--and shows it. The rooms are small, carpets are old, and the bathrooms are older tile. Some upgrading has been done; rooms now have a fridge and microwave. Unlike some other reviewers we have not had problems with the front desk or with cleanliness. Any room we have had has always been as clean as in any other motel. They offer a continental breakfast which seemed to consist of coffee, juice, and a pastry/muffin selection but we've never partaken of it as there is a Denny's within walking distance. It looked to be a little on the sparse side. An average rating is probably on the high side but I wouldn't call it poor which is the next rating down. If all you want is a place to sleep when visiting elsewhere during the day it certainly serves the purpose.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I spent last night here while visiting my sister who lives within a few miles of the hotel. The room smelled, the heater didnt work, there werent any warm blankets and the tv was not visable from the beds and their was mold in the shower. The only good points were it's proximity to my sister's house and the rate. But you definately get what you pay for. Horrible night and I will never go back.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these DeWitt hotels

Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

We came to check in and had immediate concerns with the room. Dirty, hairs in places there should not be any and weird musty smell.

Spoke with the front desk clerk shortly after checking in, he had a horrible attitude and was infuriatingly rude. I travel very frequently, at least one or two weekends every month - I have never met somebody so frustrating in my life. After spending 10 minutes attempting to reason with him (impossible), we walked out.

Imagine my surprise at receiving my credit card statement and finding that they have charged us as "no shows".... this is despite my attempted check in and clear information that the room itself was inhabitable. Customer service for econolodge refused to help with a anything - their "customer service" basically means go deal with the owner of the location (whose name they will not disclose).

Needless to say, I'm just going to revert this to my credit card company to deal with and will not spend anymore time trying to chase these guys around.

So - word of warning - what they SAY you're going to get on the website is not what you're going to get when you check in. And econolodge refuses to back up their locations in any meaningful way.

For the first time ever, I'm knocking a hotel chain off of my list. I have stayed at microtels, knights inn, hiltons and the whole gamut while travelling - and I have never seen such a disgusting room and dealt with such insolent and rude staff. I would recommend that you do not stay here, or at the very least, make sure you see the room before you hand over your credit card number.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Guildford, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

This was our first 'walk in' booking on this vacation in the USA and it was a pleasant surprise after staying at a 'take it or leave it' business standard BW the previous night.

As other reviewers have pointed out the rooms are a bit on the small side but all we want is sleep so no real matter to us, what did matter was that the room was clean. The guys in reception were friendly, helpful and chatty.

Our second night in the USA and we were tired and jet-lagged. This motel is set back from the main road and is surrounded on two sides by a residential area. There is a KFC next door but this did not generate any traffic noise or cooking odours. We got a deep uninterrupted night's sleep which we really needed. This is for us the real plus point of this motel

A few days later we were on our way back from Niagara Falls and we happily stayed for a second night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Decent location and reasonable staff but unfortunately overrun with bedbugs. We booked 2 rooms in different buildings within the hotel. The sweet musty smell in the rooms should have been a warning clue to us ...

I awoke covered with bites (more than 100 bites!)... To my horror, when I checked the room further, I found black bed bug fecal stains and bloodstains on the mattress. I was also fortunate to capture some photos of the offending buggers (see appended photos) still engorged on my blood. My mother and son who were in the other room developed delayed hypersensitivity rashes and bite marks the next day.

Management provided a refund (albeit a partial one) and were apologetic. (Man, I will be really upset if I bring some of these critters home!)

This hotel has potential for thrifty travelers and is in a good strategic location (and I understand bed bugs are in the 5 star hotels too) But right now, this infestation appears to be hotel-wide and quite severe (and unfortunately will be very difficult to eradicate).

Bottom Line: if you are in the mood for donating blood, EconoLodge Dewitt is for you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Fayetteville, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I stayed at this hotel last night with my 2 elderly parents and my young nephew. The hotel was clean and staff was freindly. We were able to check in very late with no problems. I had asked for a handicap room to accomodate my father who uses a wheelchair. The handicap room was easy to get in but once in the room it was very small and difficult to maneuver. The bathroom was definitley not meant for use with a wheel chair or even a walker. We only stayed the one night but if I had known that handicap room only meant that it was on the ground floor I would have gone elsewhere. My biggest issue is with the size of the room and selling it as handicapped. It is only an Econo Lodge and I realize this is not a mid or high end hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!