“is their a rating lower then 1” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in DeWitt
Niagara Falls, New York
“is their a rating lower then 1”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I spent last night here while visiting my sister who lives within a few miles of the hotel. The room smelled, the heater didnt work, there werent any warm blankets and the tv was not visable from the beds and their was mold in the shower. The only good points were it's proximity to my sister's house and the rate. But you definately get what you pay for. Horrible night and I will never go back.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

We came to check in and had immediate concerns with the room. Dirty, hairs in places there should not be any and weird musty smell.

Spoke with the front desk clerk shortly after checking in, he had a horrible attitude and was infuriatingly rude. I travel very frequently, at least one or two weekends every month - I have never met somebody so frustrating in my life. After spending 10 minutes attempting to reason with him (impossible), we walked out.

Imagine my surprise at receiving my credit card statement and finding that they have charged us as "no shows".... this is despite my attempted check in and clear information that the room itself was inhabitable. Customer service for econolodge refused to help with a anything - their "customer service" basically means go deal with the owner of the location (whose name they will not disclose).

Needless to say, I'm just going to revert this to my credit card company to deal with and will not spend anymore time trying to chase these guys around.

So - word of warning - what they SAY you're going to get on the website is not what you're going to get when you check in. And econolodge refuses to back up their locations in any meaningful way.

For the first time ever, I'm knocking a hotel chain off of my list. I have stayed at microtels, knights inn, hiltons and the whole gamut while travelling - and I have never seen such a disgusting room and dealt with such insolent and rude staff. I would recommend that you do not stay here, or at the very least, make sure you see the room before you hand over your credit card number.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Guildford, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

This was our first 'walk in' booking on this vacation in the USA and it was a pleasant surprise after staying at a 'take it or leave it' business standard BW the previous night.

As other reviewers have pointed out the rooms are a bit on the small side but all we want is sleep so no real matter to us, what did matter was that the room was clean. The guys in reception were friendly, helpful and chatty.

Our second night in the USA and we were tired and jet-lagged. This motel is set back from the main road and is surrounded on two sides by a residential area. There is a KFC next door but this did not generate any traffic noise or cooking odours. We got a deep uninterrupted night's sleep which we really needed. This is for us the real plus point of this motel

A few days later we were on our way back from Niagara Falls and we happily stayed for a second night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Decent location and reasonable staff but unfortunately overrun with bedbugs. We booked 2 rooms in different buildings within the hotel. The sweet musty smell in the rooms should have been a warning clue to us ...

I awoke covered with bites (more than 100 bites!)... To my horror, when I checked the room further, I found black bed bug fecal stains and bloodstains on the mattress. I was also fortunate to capture some photos of the offending buggers (see appended photos) still engorged on my blood. My mother and son who were in the other room developed delayed hypersensitivity rashes and bite marks the next day.

Management provided a refund (albeit a partial one) and were apologetic. (Man, I will be really upset if I bring some of these critters home!)

This hotel has potential for thrifty travelers and is in a good strategic location (and I understand bed bugs are in the 5 star hotels too) But right now, this infestation appears to be hotel-wide and quite severe (and unfortunately will be very difficult to eradicate).

Bottom Line: if you are in the mood for donating blood, EconoLodge Dewitt is for you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Fayetteville, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I stayed at this hotel last night with my 2 elderly parents and my young nephew. The hotel was clean and staff was freindly. We were able to check in very late with no problems. I had asked for a handicap room to accomodate my father who uses a wheelchair. The handicap room was easy to get in but once in the room it was very small and difficult to maneuver. The bathroom was definitley not meant for use with a wheel chair or even a walker. We only stayed the one night but if I had known that handicap room only meant that it was on the ground floor I would have gone elsewhere. My biggest issue is with the size of the room and selling it as handicapped. It is only an Econo Lodge and I realize this is not a mid or high end hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

My husband and I were at the Syracuse Nationals this year and we stayed here many because they took dogs. I had read the reviews prior to booking and liked what I saw. Much to our pleasure the place was more then we hoped for. The service was good and the room was immaculate.. I would absolutely stay there again and mist likely it will be next year for the show again. Thank you very much to Ambu, who took care of our every need. T

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Forest City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

First of all, I never book any hotel or motel without checking Tripadvisor.com first! This little motel was simply wonderful for the price! A nice location and very clean rooms. And very quiet also. I stayed here with my 5 year old son and was very happy with the accommodations. From check in to check out there were no problems. The owner and front desk clerk checked me in with no problems. Very friendly and helpful. The room was plain and simple and very clean. Spotless bathroom. There was an iron and ironing board in the room as well. The motel is located in the same parking lot as a KFC, and a Denny's is right next door to the KFC. A large mall is nearby. There is a Barnes and Noble within walking distance as well. A great place to stay for the price that they charge.

• Liked — The Location And Clean Rooms
  • Disliked — I Could Not Find Anything That I Did Not Like About This Property
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!