“Average Red Sauce Joint” 3 of 5 stars

716-681-1913
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Buffalo, NY
“Average Red Sauce Joint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I know that people swear by this place, but it's really pretty nondescript. We split Chicken Cacciatore and Shrimp Fra Diavalo, which were salty beyond belief and overcooked. Friends ended up with Eggplant and Chicken Parm dishes they liked better, but really, there are a slew of better red sauce restaurants in WNY that are far better than this (Bella Sicilia, I'm looking at you.)

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Williamsville, New York
“The Owner said we don't need your service or care about your service. We do fine without it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Tonight will be the last time this restaurant will recieves my service. I have been to this locally owned restaurant a few times and every time the service has been poor. It hasn't been poor by the young waitress or waiters but by the owner.

The owner today was talking about my family and I as we sat at the table, it was because we the young waitress if we could use a gift certificate that expired. She told us to ask the manager when we go to the front to pay. The waitress ended up asking the owner who then loudly talked about how we should not except that and basically saying we were stupid to ask because it has an expiration date. She continued to talk about us as we sat at the table and then started to judge us before we even got up to ask her in person. Mind you we can hear everything she is saying. We then walked up and said "It sounds like you aren't going to accept this gift certificate and we understand your policy." Let her know we can hear you talking about us and aren't trying to cause a problem. The owner then goes on a rant to us that we should of been more aware of the gift certificate expiration date. We then said to her we understand your policy but from our point of view your restaurant received 50 dollars from our family friend who bought this gift certificate for our family. That 50 dollars was already given and paid to you in which no service was received and given for that money. We again said to her we aren't trying to argue with you and we accept your policy. We weren't still trying to use the gift certificate we were then trying to pay for our bill.

She continued to then talk about it and being completely rude to us when we tried to drop the situation. As she continued to talk and basically tell us we are stupid for asking if they would accept it. We then said to her next time we will ask our friend not to give us a gift certificate at this restaurant and the owner said you can ask for a gift certificate where ever you want. In which we said yes we can but in asking for one not here you will lose that amount of money and service. She the responded, IT'S OKAY WE DON'T NEED YOUR SERVICE OR CARE ABOUT YOUR SERVICE, WE DO FINE WITHOUT YOUR SERVICE. Shocking the couple who was standing next to us trying to pay their bill as well. The owner of the restaurant just said out loud that she didn't care about our service and does fine without our service all because we asked if we could use a gift certificate given by a friend and when said no we put it away and tried to pay for the bill.

Our family has had other more minor problems with the service but this one was the deal breaker for our family and for our recommendations.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Buffalo, NY
“Best Lasagna in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I live within walking distance of this place, and in the summer, with my bedroom window open, I can smell the garlic and sauce cooking at 8:30 on Saturday mornings!!! Not crazy about the meatballs, however, or the pizza, but I love the sauce and we always get the lasagna. When we order it to go, it always comes with a loaf of warm Italian bread. Sometimes we get a spaghetti to go, which is enough for three people!!! I highly recommend this place. I think they make their own noodles. The lasagna noodles taste homemade. If you prefer to dine in, it's very cute, warm and cozy.

• Visited January 2013
bufalo
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

The best ever! The sauce, pasta, meatballs, salad and soups. A++ The antipasta ....fabulous! I love the owner!! Only one complaint....it's the rock music playing at times.............please play Italian music.....it's what you're all about. Thank you La Castalana....you are my favorite!!!

• Visited May 2012
Buffalo, New York
“Best Sauce !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

If you are Sicilian you will love the sauce, just like home. If you aren't, you will love the sauce. I have to agree with the other reviewers that sometimes service is inconsistant, but so what...I've never waitressed and don't care to. It can't be easy. I wish they would put more items in the salad, but an Italian restaurant that doesn't put garbanzo beans is not Italian to me and they do ! What is really good too is that you can share dishes. One order is enough food for the week ! Have been to many of the Italian restaurants in Buffalo and their sauce beats them all. Cannoli - home made !

• Visited April 2012