“Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   49 Van Wyck St, Croton on Hudson, NY 10520   |
Tonawanda, NY
“Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

Back in July 09 I found out that I would be working out of town for about 7 months. I began looking for apartments and hotel suites. I came across the web site for the Alexander Hamilton B&B when I searched for something close to my job and close to the train station. I didn’t know how I would like it, but I’m sure glad I tried.

This place has become my home away from home, a feeling that I would never get from an apartment or hotel. Cyd, Barbara, Steven and Lori have gone beyond innkeepers to make my stay most enjoyable. Not to mention the beautiful inn itself. I think I’ve been in every room there and each one is beautiful and unique in its own way. I’ve spent many hours at one of the dining room tables catching up on the Buffalo News, just as I would do in my own home.

Then there are all the other niceties; great breakfasts, rides to & from the train station, special treats in my room when I return Sunday nights, ride to the ER when I was too sick to find the hospital on my own. I could go on, but I just want to let you know that this is not the typical B&B.

My project is almost over and my time at the Alexander Hamilton House is at an end, but I’m already making plans with my family to return shortly.

Thanks,
Tom

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Glens Falls, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

Right off the bat, Barbara discloses that Alexander Hamilton did NOT stay here, it was built in 1889 and named after the adjacent street. But it's a highly decorated big old house on the hill overlooking Tappan Zee, and a fun place to stay, particularly compared to generic chain motels that serve us business travelers. The rooms are quaint and varied, with beautiful modern bathrooms. The owners are very experienced hosts, and everything ran very smoothly. I liked their small bull terrier named Sarah, who disclosed that this place is dog-friendly for future visits. Breakfast was custom-made and delicious. There was a basket of chocolate chip cookies on the bannister post. The hall was decorated with an 1867 local map--always a good indicator of a superior lodging. The loose leaf binder bulging with local information and history was the best I have ever seen, anywhere. Mid-week rates were extremely attractive. It's a short drive the the Croton, Tarrytown, or White Plains commuter train stations. This is a fun place, and I urge leisure and business travelers to give it a try.

seaford de
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

This was a beautiful room in a house overlooking the Hudson River. The staff and owners went out of their way to make everything special. They even offered to pack me a "brown bag" lbreakfast on our last day, because of the time I had to leave. This is a wonderful, romantic place to getaway.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

The house is beautiful, the owners are very friendly and the breakfast is first-class. I stay on extended business and always have a room with a desk. All the rooms have internet access. The owners are very accommodating and bend over backwards to make your stay a pleasant one. Convenient to NYC, the train station, and points of interest. The view is beautiful and the location superb. I'll recommend the Alexander Hamilton House to anyone needing a break from the hotel/motel scene. This B&B provides an excellent value.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

As New York City apartment dwellers my husband and I were in need of a short respite.
This is a perfect getaway for us since it was so easily accessible by public transportation, and then were able to be picked up at the station by Lori, who welcomed
us warmly. Our room was the Turret Room and felt quite cozy. The bathroom is about
three steps across the hall and supplied with special cranberry soap, extra fluffy towels, and luxurious shower gel. There was even an encased, antique model of a bathroom perched on the vanity. My husband enjoyed his bagel and lox breakfast and I enjoyed my omelet. Requests were met with a gracious "sure; we can do that!" The breakfast room is filled with plants and it extends into an area for watching television on comfy sofas. Our room was a wonderful value for us who came during the week. All said,
it was the getaway we needed and although we stayed for one night, we left feeling
as though we had been away for several days!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

I travel for business and used to stay in hotels when in the Westchester/Putnam County area but then decided I would give a B & B a try. I compared the prices and this one was very reasonable so I decided I would try it. That was over a year ago and I have been an almost weekly customer ever since. Barbara and Steven are very warm and welcoming hosts who meet all reasonable requests with a smile. The breakfasts which are homemade are very delicious and filling. The view of the Hudson from the breakfast area is gorgeous. I also enjoyed the swimming pool in the summer after a day of work. Try one of the suites, the Jacuzzi is wonderful!

Indy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

We have stayed twice at this property, once over 4th of July weekend this past summer and again between Christmas and New Years while visiting family in the area. The inn offers several rooms with a variety of features and price points. Since we have a toddler, we were looking for a room that was relatively child friendly and a good value, which we had. Free wifi throughout the house as well as a dedicated computer work station with fax. The inn is run by a highly experienced family and is friendly to both leisure travelers as well as business (I travel extensively for work). Breakfast is very good and timing is flexible. 5 minute drive to Metro North station at Croton-Harmon.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Alexander Hamilton House? Share your experiences!