Stayed at the Alexander Hamilton House for one night with family (daughters and partner) and that was long enough. Tom, the owner was cordial and friendly.
The chief complaint I have is the extra fees, (per person) the gratuity charge and the overall value. Looking over the fine print on the website (Under “Room Rates,” under “Policies,” you may find with much effort, a statement about the gratuity charge. How many of us look at the fine print?..... .(Warning: please do so here.)
Don’t most hotels include the total cost on their websites (taxes, fees, etc.) these days? Like many of the credit card companies, the trick is in scrolling down and reading all of the fine print!
Just be aware. I spent $563 for one night that included a $47 charge for gratuities, $25 extra for each person over 2 in the room and high taxes (10.4%).
The other complaints: The breakfast was just flat out not good. Some kind of soupy French toast mix and 3 out of the maybe 4 small, boxed cereal options were sugared. I have stayed in many B&B before and this was the worst breakfast by far.
My room was just “OK.” It didn’t look anything like the picture and it had a makeshift shower with no tub. My daughter’s room was really dark and it had a foul odor of sewage coming from the shower area. When notified, the owner was “Well thanks so much for letting me know.” Not, “Hey let me drop the 10% gratuity charge for any inconvenience or discomfort you experienced for staying in a room that smelled. “
Bottom line - this place is on the down and out and majorly out in my book.
- Also Known As:
- Alexander Hamilton House Hotel Croton On Hudson
- Alexander Hamilton House Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1889 Victorian House with 8 guest rooms. 5 rooms have working wood-burning fireplaces, 2 have two person whirlpool tubs. We serve a full breakfast, and accommodate people with special dietary needs. We've been in business over 20 years and are very knowledgeable about the area. Accessible by car or train, 15 minutes to Sleepy Hollow/Tarrytown, 30 minutes to West Point. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tingo, Hotels.com, EasyToBook, Travelocity, Expedia, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your Alexander Hamilton House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.