“Overpriced, but great food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Painter's Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cornwall on Hudson
Painter's Inn
266 Hudson Street, Cornwall on Hudson, Cornwall, NY 12520   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“Overpriced, but great food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I recently stayed at the Painter's with my family (husband and two kids) in tow. Our room smelled a bit musty / dusty upon entrance, and while the beds were made, they didn't look very neat. Our bathroom was very small, with only a shower, so no tub time for the kids. We had room #6 - a queen / full combo.

For $150/night, I guess I would have expected more. But then again, I don't think there are a lot of options in the area. We were in the area to visit Storm King Art Center.

The food downstairs is very good. Pricey, but tasty and fresh. The noise from the restaurant is very noticeable upstairs - it seemed it didn't stop until 11 or midnight.

Of note, friends of mine stayed in the suite - I'm not sure how much they paid but it was much more updated and felt cleaner. It had a sitting room, entryway, and sizable bathroom and tub. It also seemed less noisy. Better for a family.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hanahan, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We've been staying at the inn at Painter's since they introduced overnight accommodations years ago. The rooms are CLEAN, very cozy, and most of all, just about 30 feet from some of the best food in town. We've stayed in every room they have and have never had a problem with noise. The staff is great, just ask and you shall receive (fresh towels, sheets, dvd's etc)! I would defintely recommend staying here to anyone who travels through Orange County.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Orefield, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I read the reviews of others, which is why I selected Painter's Inn. The room was comfortable and we would have been satisfied had it not been for the music emanating from the bar until midnight. Unfortunately, our room (8) was directly above the bar. I understood that there was a restaurant associated with the Inn and expected some noise, but a good nights rest would have been welcomed.

I have stayed in other B&B's (no breakfast @ Painter's) and am accustomed to daily services such as clean towels, cleaning, etc. These services were not provided.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the bar as possib
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
North Wales, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I wasn't sure about writing this review. I did not want to "Let the secret out" about our pleasant stay so the Painter's Inn would be sold out next time I called. I am in my mid-forties and have been visiting West Point since the age of eight with my parents. I have stayed at numerous locations form Highland Falls to Newburgh. My wife and I were looking for a place to stay and I called Painter's Inn because of the close proximity to the Military Academy. Let me make clear the Inn is a restaurant first with limited rooms second. They had one room left (their Suite), I booked it
with dinner reservations.

When we arrived around 7:30pm on Friday evening. The restaurant was bustling, in fact so busy that people were waiting for tables at the 80 seat restaurant. We were escorted to our room up the stairs. The room was older (of course it is in an old Inn), but it was pleasantly updated with track lighting and artwork (see pictures I added). The suite had a bedroom; rustic bar nook; spare room with couch, table, and fridge; a older but clean bathroom. It was kept very nice!

The staff then walked us down the stairs and showed me how to work the lock on the front door. You see the restaurant stops serving at 10:30pm and the bar closes around midnight. The restaurant does not open till 11:30am and staff do not sleep over in the restaurant. So when the other review says they do not have a 'maid staff', it is true you cannot get an
ironing board at 6:00am. However, they do have a staff that clean the rooms, make the beds, with our room being very clean and pleasant. In the morning when checking out you just leave the key on the front counter and pull the front door closed.

We unpacked and went to the restaurant for a nice dinner. It is Zagat rated for both food and staff as a 'Good to Very Good' which I think is right in line. It is not an expensive top of the line New York city restaurant but we were very pleasantly surprised with the food. The dinner crowd was mixed from families, older couples on dates, and people in their twenties getting ready to go out after. After we had drinks at the bar discussing our pleasant surprise and chatted with the nice staff. Very relaxed and happy we retired to our room without having to worry about drinking and driving.

So take it from one that has visited the area for years and travels a fair amount for business. If you are looking for the Ritz-Carlton the Painter's Inn is not. But, if you want a reasonably priced clean room, a restaurant with good food, and a nice atmosphere with pleasant staff .....
I think you will be hard pressed to find better in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Saline, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Our family has travelled quite a lot around the US, and other countries. We have camped or used hotels and in Egypt stayed in hostels. This is a nonstandard American hotel - in fact many locals raved about the restaurant but had no idea the rooms upstairs were available for rent. It is very much like staying in a family home.. Artwork, and murals on the walls, but no phones in the room, small closets, small pink tiled bathroom and shower, no hair dryers, room service or other of the usual amenities (although we never asked if they were available- they might have been). We were there for the activities at West Graduation week for our son - where every event is formal or semi formal. We were glad to come back to this very casual, relaxing spot only 15mins away to have drinks, talk and laugh on the big outdoor porch, then just walk up the stairs to bed to get ready for another long day. The staff locks up the restaurant for the night and the place gets real quiet usually after the dinner hour is over. Despite never making dinner reservations - the staff always let our group glom onto the porch, grab chairs, order food and drinks and occupy space there for hours. Wireless internet was available throughout the building and on the porch. The room we used had two queen beds, a flat screen TV (we never used) with lots of floor space (which we did use). There is no breakfast available - which wasn't much of an issue because activites at West Point started so early anyway - though there is a gas station handy across the street with a convenience store and a dunkin donuts nearby. We had 3 other family members staying there and some were able to try the Sunday brunch which started at 10:30am.. The most amazing things were the relaxed atmosphere, friendliness of the staff, shabby chic decor with unusual and beautiful artwork everywhere. The food was delicious and original (important!), portions generous and that includes the drinks! We enjoyed a party in the Gallery room - which has a fully stocked bar.. We were able to invite family with children and let them run all over in that room which we occupied for 4-5 hours in private - just like we do at home..Wish we would have found this spot earlier than we did... One point - Painter's Inn doesn't accept reservations for West Point Graduation until after the first of the year for that year of graduation - which is how we lucked out getting this hotel... Have to thank my brother for finding the place.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

I have a business colleague that lives within a stones throw of Painters. We meet with customers for drinks and dinner and it's very good all around. Free internet service works in my room and thru the restaurant. Reasonably priced and quite a gem in Cornwall-on-Hudson.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

My family lives in Orange County, NY and I have stayed at the Painter's Inn numerous times. They are much more reasonably priced than the Holiday Inn Express in Chester and have a wonderful restaurant. The rooms are painted with scenes from the Hudson River. I don't think there is maid service. There are no phones in the room, nor internet service. However, it is very quaint and if you walk/run to the river you will have spectacular views. The restaurant is great for groups and also if you have kids, because it can get loud. The food is wonderful. The service is friendly and all this for $95 per night.

• Liked — Great value, quaint.
  • Disliked — No maid service.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Painter's Inn? Share your experiences!