“"Must Do" Eating Experience...!!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pan-Asian
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Corning, New York
“"Must Do" Eating Experience...!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Having lived around the world, Asian cuisine is always a "go to" for me. Of the Asain styles, Thai food represents one of the most unique balances of spice, sweet, salt and citrus. Add to that, texture and new flavor combinations and you have a healthy, social, fun and unique opportunity to try something different. Panasaia does not disappoint.

This restaurant shares popular styles from China, Thailand, Japan and the Philippines, and does it authentically, but with a twist that keeps Americans satisfied (in Asia, the range from salty to sweet (seafood to fruit) is narrower than in the US...it can be experienced as bland if there are not subtle adjustments for what we are used to.

My wife and I went at 5:45 on a Friday night and were immediately met, seated and welcomed. The staff is VERY friendly and never rushed. They were helpful with everyone and kept that vibe all night...even when it became quite busy. The restaurant is beautiful, modern, interesting and buzzing; great energy.

I ordered a small bottle of saki and my wife, a cucumber vodka with St Germain and basil (I believe). Both were great and priced within reason. As with most Asian restaurants, food comes out when it is prepared. It is shared, hot and very social. We ordered the papaya salad, lettuce wraps, steamed fish and pad Thai...and we ate nearly all of it.

Papaya salad: generally a spicy dish, this did not disappoint. The cool shaved papaya with sprouts, peanut "dusting" and fresh lime juice squeezed on it was a fun start. Yes, it's hot and spicy, however, the balance of citrus and fruit make this a new mouth experience for most.

Lettuce wraps: filling a chilled, fresh lettuce leaf with finely diced chicken, blended with citrus (lemon grass??), ginger, carrots, sprouts, on a bed of thin noodles, and wrapping up to eat with your hands is simply wonderful and engaging. The filling was perfect with the chicken/citrus taste balance. There was no need for the sweet/spicy Thai sauce as the fresh flavor popped on their own.

Steamed fish: PERFECTLY cooked Halibut with a simple side of white sticky rice. The very unassuming sauce was light unique and supported the delicate texture of the fish. Do not miss this.

Pad Thai: we included shrimp and once again, they were perfectly cooked with a citrus tone that was very complimentary to the noodles, cilantro, sprouts, carrots and other veggies. I splashed a small amount of soy sauce as I needed a bit more salt. We will order this again.

A few constructive comments: the noise level was between bustling and outright noisy. This was distracting as a conversation at dinner should not be a chore...we are relaxing and enjoying fantastic food, we'd like to talk about it too. The seating was tight...perhaps one less 2 top to create more space and flow.

We are very happy to not have another completely Americanized Asian restaurant and can't wait to explore this menu further.

Panasia is already making its mark and there is no question that with obvious focus on fresh ingredients, balance, service, atmosphere, creative approach and unique offerings, they are here to stay and won't be ignored.

Visited June 2014

Corning, New York
“Will not go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Just ate at Panasia last night with the kids. When this place opened I was very excited as I really wanted to like this place. Corning does not have a lot of choices for eating out and we really like good Asian food.

I will start with the positives. The location is very good and the place is nicely decorated. The wait staff is nice and friendly. Prices are decent for a trendy, modern restaurant. I like that they take orders with handheld devises and can email you the reciept.

Now for the negatives. The major one was the food was not good:

(a) There is a strong reliance on very heavy (and sweet) sauces with overpowering but not authentic flavors.

(b) The preparation leaves a lot to be desired. For exaple, in the Seafood Fried Rice the rices is all clumped together. Same for the Egg Noodles, it is a mass of clumped noodles. The Lettuce Wraps come with chicken that is not really fine ground, more like in clumps. The pieces of dried Shitake (yum) in the noodles were unfortunatley really big, not finely sliced. Don't get me wrong, I love Shitake, but not in really big pieces (even my waiter agreed on that score).

(c) Ingredients are not authentic and the flavors are off. The Pork Ramen came with some very nicely cooked pork, but unfortunetly the noodles are not Ramen noodles, they are some thin noodle, kind of like a thin spaguetti. The flavor and consistency of the noodles is off if you have ever had real Ramen before, which was a real let down. In addition, the broth tasted somewhat sour, maybe from the addition of the slices of pickeled radish. We also ordered the Egg Noodles, which more like a fat spaguetti. I expected the typical flat egg noodle that I have gotten in every other authentic Asian place I have eaten, but I guess it is my fault because I did not ask.

(d) Fried Calamari and Korean Pancake were OK. My kids ate those.

I also found some other aspects that could have gone better, but which I do not consider to be really big issues:

(a) Most of the main dishes had some level of spiciness to them. It was not obvious from the menu that this would be the case. Both my wife and I eat spicy food, but we ate with small kids. It would have been very helpful if the waiter (understanding that we were there with small kids) let us know that the dishes were spicy or there was some sign on the menu. It would have allowed us to request that they not add any spice to one or two of the dishes.

(b) Table was wobbly, which I really hate. I like to eat on a steady table, especially when eating with kids.

In summary, I wish Panasia all the best but I will not go back. Of all the dishes we ordered the one that was my kids favorite was the white rice that came with a Seafood dish, and they normally love Chinese food. If you are looking for authentic Asian food you should look elsehwere.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Painted Post, New York
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

The place
Have to start out by saying we have waited a long time for a good Asia place to open in Corning and it is finally here! We went Friday night which was their second day open. The decor is really nice they even have a nice waiting room with couches so you don't have to stand while you wait for a table. They redid the whole building and I must say it is very trendy yet classy look to it.

The food
Small Plates
We started off with a few small plates which they always bring out plates for all as it is served family style so it is very easy to share. First we had the lettuce wraps which were amazing. Everything from the chicken to the noodles served with them was fresh. The ginger garlic chili sauce served with them had great flavor. Next we had the Pot Stickers filled with fresh pork, cabbage, water chesnuts and ginger. With a shoyu sauce that had great flavor to smother them in. Finally we had the Szechuan Baby Rack Ribs can I just WOW!!! The sauce was amazing and the meat just fell off the bone. I honestly can I'm tempted to just get a couple of orders of them when I go back. These are a must try when you go!

Entrees
I ordered the chicken Pad Thai which was kinda dry they didn't put enough sauce in it. So I told me server and she saw that and apologized and gave it to me for free. Just to put this in context they were so busy and it was there second day open.

You could tell they were overwhelmed working out the kinks. Our server was amazing she was very kind and had a few laughs with her. The kitchen was backed up being so packed and she apologized for the wait. Everything about this place was great I can't wait to go back and review more food on the menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“Best Asian restaurant ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

You have to eat at PanAsia on Market Street, Corning, NY. We live about 110 miles from Corning and have been there twice already. We started with mimosas and two other exotic, delicious drinks and an array of appetizers. The crab Rangoon is to die for and the Thai spring rolls were crispy and so tasty. The duck was so tender, you could cut it with your chop sticks and the sushi was expertly done. You have to try the seafood rice bowl! All the food is made right in the open kitchen and not bought from a wholesaler. Oh, and the atmosphere is entertaining, whether you choose to sit in the lounge, bar area or the dining room with an open kitchen. The staff is helpful and will explain everything on the menu if need be. Our waitress, Alison, was exceptional! Ask to be seated at one of her tables, if possible. I hope you visit this marvelous restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Corning, NY USA
“Beautiful and Unusual!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Visited PanAsia last night and had mixed reviews! The lounge area is very nice and the staff was extremely friendly and attentive One waitress noticed I was trying a drinking fountain and volunteered water. Our party of six waited only about 20 minutes on a busy Friday night. The wine selection by the bottle is good and some are very attractively priced. The menu is varied and I had the Panasia Seafood rice bowl. It was amazing. Just enough heat, the flavor was exciting. It was full of perfectly cooked (not overcooked) seafood. And freshly cooked egg-not dried bits!! When you come to Panasia, plan to order food to share at the table. Even though we were advised of the way the food would be served we didn't anticipate such a delay between plates and hadn't planed to share. Since the food is cooked to order, if the kitchen is busy, then you will have to share. While my dish which came first was perfect, the others found some concerns with their choices; the mussels were huge and maybe tough, the Pad Thai was unusual and not what we were used to maybe more salty then sweet. The Black Bean Garlic and Ginger was nicely done but the flavor needed adjusting, the ginger was quiet. Both the shrimp and the halibut were nicely cooked! The inside of the restaurant is exquisite. The bar looked to be a VERY busy and exciting place to be. There is a separate Sushi Bar that looked cool. The open kitchen is nice but at 8:30pm on a Friday night it was a little loud for senior ears! The wait staff is the BEST. Every single person we each encountered went way beyond norm to stop, ask, help and just plan socialize. Go for unique and freshly cooked food and beautiful surroundings and Great Staff. Try the recommended plates and give the chef a chance to work out the flavor issues.

• 4 of 5 stars Food