“Very good food” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 56 Restaurants in Corning
Cuisines: American
Description: We stopped here in Corning. Really great sandwiches and soup. Terrific ice cream. The bakery items looked great although we did not try them.
Newfield, New York
“Very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have been here to eat a handful of times in the past few months. The food never disapoints me. Occasionally I feel the service could be a bit more attentive remembering to bring things such as napkins and utensils to the table, but you really can not beat the quality of food and price. I think most people would find the shop charming. If you plan to visit with a large group i suggest ordering out as there is not that much room inside. There is a courtyard and park very near by, lot's of cute shops and salons on the same street.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Buffalo, New York
“Good food, right price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

My mom and I were on a road trip and we decided to stop here because it had a high rating on Trip Advisor.

I had the turkey and avocado sandwich with bacon, lettuce, and tomato and it was delicious and everything was very fresh. My mom had a roast beef sandwich with crab soup that was delicious!!

Servers were friendly and the atmosphere was fun. Will definitely be back on my next road trip. Highly recommended!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“I'm back in the 50s”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were in route somewhere else when I stopped for directions. "That's good", we were told, "but where you really want to go is....." and he took us by the hand. Walking through the door, we had gone back 6 decades into a 1950s fountain/restaurant, with great soup, sandwiches, et al. So, thanks to my capacity for getting lost, we had a super lunch and a very fair price.

Visited October 2012
North, VA
“Great Coffee in special setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We just had coffee, but the food and ice cream looked delicious. Special place, old time soda fountain setting.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Go for the charm and old world atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Old World Cafe is located in the heart of the historic Gaffer District in Corning, contiguous to the Information Center and a block and a half from the Rockwell Museum of Western Art. Just 10 years old, it nevertheless reeks of charm from beautifully restored tin ceilings, mullioned windows, tiled floor, wood moldings, old-time bar, candy-store decor and marble-top tables, blackboard menu, old schoolhouse pendant lighting, and fresh-faced waitresses in dark blue aprons. The cafe has two counters - one for Purity ice cream in about fifteen flavors, another one for ordering salads, sandwiches, panini's, soups, etc.. You order at the counter, leave your name, sit down, and the food is brought over to you when ready. Service is friendly and fairly efficient.

We ordered the Blue Harvest Salad with beets, and candied walnuts, blue cheese, the King George roast beef sandwich with horseradish on multigrain bread, and a bowl of seafood chowder. I am sorry to report that the food was meh.... the salad and sandwich were both really bland - the roast beef itself was fine but the creamy horseradish spread tasted like cream cheese. The beets in the salad were flavorless and the walnuts were not candied as promised. The seafood chowder, on the other hand, was way too salty.

In retrospect, we should have ordered the cheese panini and ice cream that previous reviewers seemed to like.

• Visited October 2012