“Great family accommodations” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Corning
Newtown, Connecticut
“Great family accommodations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

My four children and I stayed for two nights in a two-bedroom suite. This was our second stay here, and I was just as pleased as the first time. The property perfectly suited our needs. The rooms were spacious and very clean with simple and functional decor. Here are a few things that makes this a good choice for a family (pets are allowed) if staying in this area:
Location:
-we walked to the glass museum
-there is a small market at the gas station on the corner if you need basic supplies.
Facility:
-rooms were spacious w/ kitchenette and the windows actually opened for fresh air
-exercise room was small, but it had an elliptical which is what I used
-indoor pool and hot tub were great and we were the only ones using it that weekend
-courtyard area is great with several areas to grill and eat if you are having dinner on property
-off the lobby, there is a business center with computers, printers, etc.; Wifi is available in the rooms, but I didn't use it
Food:
-there is an area at the front desk where you can buy frozen dinners and snacks and pay cash or charge it to your room
-hot coffee in lobby all day
-free breakfast buffet was good (fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, bagels, waffles, etc); the kids loved picking what they had for breakfast; the eggs must have been that mix kind because they weren't very good, but there are other options

Overall, a great clean family hotel.

• Liked — room layout
  • Disliked — no onsite dining except breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

We stayed one night and wished we had more. When checking in the hotel upgraded us to a two bedroom suite, which was much appreciated for the 5 of us. The room was spacious, clean and three T.V.'s! Didn't have time for the kitchen but it was well stocked. Employees friendly and helpful. Breakfast included with a broad range of food and drink choice. Also had an evening happy hour. We used the pool, whirpool, basketball court, and free internet cafe. Walking distance to the Corning Glass Museum. I will be looking for Staybridge Suites in the future.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

My family and I stayed at the Staybridge for just one night. It was a really nice experience. The suite we had was immaculate. The pillows and the bed were the most comfortable I've ever slept on in a hotel...anywhere! This property is conveniently located across from the Corning Museum of Glass and near Market Street, too. Breakfast the next morning was HUGE...lots of choices for every taste and appetite...from fruit to waffles. Great coffee. Very nice hotel staff, too! Can't wait to stay here or at another Staybridge soon!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — hard to find room!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

Our first visit to this brand of hotel, and we were both very favorably impressed.

This is an all-suites property essentially intended to serve as a "home away from home" for someone traveling on business and staying in one location for more than a week. But, for even just one night, we found it impressive.

This has the amenities of a small apartment, a full function business center, a very nice courtyard, and all kinds of helpful touches.

This brand is not very widespread, but we'll be looking for these in the future.

As far as location, near the freeway - about a mile from the charm of downtown Corning (and it has quite a bit).

Stayed September 2007
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

We spent two nights at this hotel and it was a great choice for a weekend family getaway. The hotel is within walking distance to the town of Corning and the glass museum and about a 20 minute drive to Watkins Glen State Park and lower Seneca Lake. We stayed in a one bedroom suite. The beds (and bedding) were comfortable, the room was very clean and everything we needed was provided in the compact kitchen (including complimentary microwave popcorn).

We asked for a quiet room and the front desk representative recommended a room on the third floor (to avoid overhead noise) and one that was not too close to the elevator. As an added bonus, our room faced the peaceful, interior courtyard and not the road/highway. Our room was definitely quiet but I would say that the hotel was only operating at about 50% capacity that weekend. The hotel is strangely configured. There is one long, front building containing the lobby and there are two secondary wings that jut out from either end of the front building. The elevators are not located near the lobby, or in the front building. There are two elevators located at the ends of the secondary wings. So, if your room is located in the middle of the front building (like ours was) and you have lots of luggage (like we did) it is a bit of an ordeal to get to your room using the elevators. Just thought I would mention this for those of you that require a room with easier access. The room was fine but again, we wondered why they configured the room so that the one bathroom was accessible through the bedroom. Anyone sleeping on the pull-out couch in the living room has to cross through the bedroom to use the washroom (which is not ideal for those with different sleep patterns).

The hotel had a library with books you could borrow, a small 24 hour tuck shop with basic groceries (at reasonable prices), computers in a “business centre,” an indoor pool, a fitness room, basketball courts, barbeques/ outdoor tables, and a “great room” with a large fireplace, large windows and complimentary newspapers and magazines. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful.

The complimentary breakfast had more than enough food (hot egg item, hot breakfast meat item, cereals, cottage cheese, cut fruit, whole fruit, waffle maker, hot oatmeal, boiled eggs, yogurt, bagels, breads, pastries, juices, milk, coffee, etc.). Some of the items didn’t seem the freshest, but there were definitely sufficient choices for all of us. We couldn’t understand why all 3 breakfast room attendants took a 15 minute break just after 10:00am, when the breakfast ended at 10:30am. The dirty dishes were piling up and some of the food items did not get restocked. Overall, a minor issue but we thought it was odd.

Thought I would mention… we had a tasty lunch on the back deck of the Stonecat Café (in the town of Hector). The restaurant is not cheap but the dishes are very good and fresh.

This is a very good hotel choice for families and it measures up to what purports to be (a three star establishment). We had a great stay and I would return if traveling to the area with my family. If I were traveling with my husband alone, we would probably try a different hotel or inn (there are other good options at lower prices).

Stayed September 2007
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

This is a nice, clean, fairly new hotel. Rooms were nicely appointed. All the facilities were above average. Compared to othere suites we stayed in on a 1 week driving trip in the Pocono's, NJ and NY, this was the nicest and best value. We had back luck in the room they placed us in as the main bedroom backed onto the elevator. Every time someone used it, all night long, we could hear the machinery going, waking us up. Other than not getting much sleep, the hotel is great. We were in suite 254 - make sure you don't get 154, 254 or 354 - I'm sure they all hear the elevator. In a different room, I'd rate this hotel 5 out of 5.

Stayed August 2007
Rochester, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2006

My family and I stayed here for one night while visiting with relatives in Elmira, NY. We chose Staybridge because they had rooms with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. I had stayed once before and felt it was a good value (very clean, upscale, and great food.) The family had mixed reviews for this stay. Here's what we found: the rooms are still very clean. The eating/kitchen/living area of the 2 bdrm suite is a good deal smaller than that for the one bedroom, which is unfortunate, because, of course, 2 bedrooms often mean more people. It was cramped for our party of 5 adults and one child. The beds were wonderful. Best I've slept in in a hotel in a few years. My biggest compaints: service and food. When I arrived there were 2 women behind the desk talking and arguing re: an employee who was showing up late because her son was in the ED (I could give more details, but I'll save you readers.) The women neither acknowledged or greeted me. A male was also at the desk, talking on the phone, apprently to another employee. This went on say 3-4 minutes. After hanging up the phone he looked up at me and said, "Checking in? Name?" and we proceeded and check in was fast and painless.

Far more disturbing this time: the breakfast, which I believe they advertise as "full breakfast." I'll explain: hard boiled, then refridgerated and rock-hard eggs in cold food as well as some mediocre fruit salad and yogurt. Stale bagels and english muffins. Coffee so dilute it didn't actually smell like coffee. French toast was hot. The soda machine was broken. I asked the one staff running the breakfast ensemble about it, she said, it's been broken, see the sign? She then told me I could purchase a soda from the convenient mart. I proceeded to the convenience mart, where I found the 1.50 sodas to be warm, in a fridge which was non-operational.... The best part, as we gathered our things to leave, with very sticky 2 year old in tow, the same staff woman stated, "You need to bus your table using those bus trays over there..." We were shocked! $213 for one night in a city in one of the lowest priced areas of the nation and they don't bus your table?

We will not be returning for our future family get-togethers.

• Liked — The beds
  • Disliked — The breakfast and breakfast staff
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Staybridge Suites Corning? Share your experiences!