“Great food and drinks but a bit snobbish” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cellar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 56 Restaurants in Corning
Cuisines: Tapas, Eclectic, Fusion, Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Walnut & Pine
Description: Two unique dining experiences; choose from our lounge side with bar menu and entrees available or choose the full fine-dining experience in our dining room. Features 40 wines by the glass kept in climate controlled cuvinee system or over 100 by the bottle. We offer gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian options on our tapas and entree menus.
Corning
“Great food and drinks but a bit snobbish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Excellent food and atmosphere. I bit high priced but a nice change of items to choose from. Some of the staff seem a bit snobbish (hostess) and did not acknowledge me when I came into the resturant, but others are very helpful and friendly. NIce to see a classy place on Market St.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Rochester
“Not worth the price.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Just went with my wife and my salad was overpriced for a handful of greens. I also ordered soup which was very small. They seem to try to be so fancy they forget the practicality of the meal. I would never visit this place again.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Decent food, nice atmosphere, small wine list, overpriced. Won't go again..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I was really hopeful walking into the place. It has a dimly lit, cozy atmosphere and I assumed it would have a good wine selection based on its name. The wine list is weighted heavily towards Cabernet, with only a few bottles (sometimes only 1) of other wines that I would have been more interested in. We settled on a Malbec blend for 38$ that I probably wouldn't purchase for 15 at the store.

My co-worker and I ordered the hummus and the duck fat french fries as appetizers. The hummus was good, although under seasoned, and came with 7-8 cracker-sized pieces of bread. I normally wouldn't order french fries, but they're fried in duck fat, which sounded pretty delicious. However, they also came with a side of DUCK FAT AIOLI which is hands down one of the grossest things I have ever eaten in a restaurant. Our server told us the ONLY other condiment they had for dipping was ketchup. I ate mine with salt and pepper.

I was in the mood for greens and I ordered the Warm Spinach Salad (14$), which our server assured me was great and the menu describes as coming with: Poached Quail Egg, bacon lardons, Seneca Blue Moon Cheese, Glenora Riesling & applewood smoked bacon vinaigrette. It sounded scrumptious but what came out was a plate of baby spinach (about half of one of those 2.99 bags from the grocery store) tossed in an OK vinaigrette, 5 cold pieces of the squishiest, fattiest, worst bacon chunks I have ever had the misfortune of trying to eat, and a tiny little quail egg on top about the size of a marble. It was poached all the way through with not even a drop of liquid yolk left in it. The only thing that saved it from being a complete disappointment were the bleu cheese crumbles which were creamy, ripe and delicious.

Based on some of the other reviews, I suppose it is possible that I just ordered the wrong thing from the menu, but when a place is trying to be as nice as The Cellar is trying to be, I don't think there should be a "wrong" thing to order. Sometimes I just want a salad.

I really love spending money in restaurants where I can eat good food and drink good wine, but I don't like to leave feeling as though my money would have been better spent elsewhere. I'm not saying the food or service was bad, just that I have had much better elsewhere for both the same amount of money, and for less. If I had friends traveling through Corning, NY, I would suggest they find somewhere else to eat. Sorry.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

There was a big event going on in town, and this was our first visit, so I'm not sure if the noise level and large crowd at the bar were typical. The wine list is great, and is presented on an I Pad. There is a wide range of food choices, so our group of four were all happy - from the vegetarian (me) to the heavy-duty carnivore. Our main server was friendly without being overbearing. We didn't think the glitches in the service were his fault - his "runner" did not present our entrees professionally, and we had a very long wait to get our second bottle of wine. The server said that the wine was kept "in another location" and he had to wait for someone else to get it. We would definitely return.

• Visited December 2011
Horseheads
“Great food, beautiful atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Plan to spend at least $150 on your meal for two. The Ahi Tuna is amazing. The roast lamb was so flavorful. Leave room for dessert! Its just as delicious.

• Visited October 2011