“Pleasant Little Cafe” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
A TripAdvisor Member
“Pleasant Little Cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

Had a wonderful meal. Dining room was a little bit loud but service and food was great. I had the eggplant parm with sausage, the sausage was fantastic. My husband had a seafood dish which i cannot remember the name of it but it had clams, mussells, scallops, and shrimp. It was very tasty. Nice selection of wine and beer. Pleasant atmosphere and would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice dining experience.

New York
“The worst meal i've had in years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2005

My husband and i were looking for some good italian food during our visit to Cooperstown. Too bad that's not what we found. From the minute we walked in the door it was obvious that this restaurant was trying to be something it's not....Italian. Starting with the decor....nothing is tackier in a "fine dining italian restaurant" then movie posters from The Godfather, and pictures of the entire cast of The Sopranos. As an appetizer, I ordered a salad that came with tuna, what i was not expecting was the chunk of canned tuna fish they served on top of the salad. For the main course, i ordered the "fresh" mussels and other shellfish over pasta. The sauce was so acidic it burned my throat, and they had topped it off with breadcrumbs which made it impossible to eat. If you are looking for a good italian meal in cooperstown, my advice is to stay away from this place!

Pennsylvania
“Excellent Food and Service, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2005

During our short stay in Cooperstown my husband and I were looking for some nice places to have dinner. After reading all of the outstanding reviews for Nicoletta's, we were very excited to have an intimate dinner there. We asked our B&B staff for a place to have dinner on our anniversary and they also suggested Nicoletta's.

I was immmediately impressed with the restaurant and staff from the moment that we walked up to the cafe. All of the staff were dressed crisply and the host welcomed us warmly. We were led inside to a small table lit by candlelight. At the time, there were several other groups of diners, all having quiet meals. There was a definite atmosphere of fine dining.

Our waitress was very helpful and attentive, making sure that all of our needs were taken care of and ensuring that our meals were satisfactory. The food was excellent, and the price was very reasonable for the quality.

The mood turned sour however, when halfway through our meal large groups of people, many including baseball teams, were seated. A few children were even wearing cleats.The restaurant became so loud that I almost had to shout at my husband who was directly across the table. What had started as an intimate dinner had suddenly turned into anything but. We quickly finished our meals and left the restaurant.

I don't typically mind large groups of children ( I am a teacher and happen to love children), I think I was just more unprepared for it in this atmosphere. We were under the impression that the restaurant was primarily catering to upscale intimate dining. I would definitely come back to Nicoletta's, but with a realization that we are in Cooperstown and baseball teams are to be expected everywhere.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Was not a happy camper”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

Being a the nice host that I am, I planned a special day for my friends who came to visit. However when I ordered a 70 dollar bottle of wine for my guests to sip on over dinner, the waitress carted all of us.....TACKY can I say? (mind you all in our mid to late twenties) Being at the lake all day one of us left their ID in the soaked clothing at the hotel. Therefore we had a problem being served! I was extremely dissappointed. Also beware of the salad that includes tuna.....it was canned, not fresh! I guess you can say you win some and lose some!

Norwalk, Connecticut
“Good Italian for Cooperstown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2005

Being from the NYC metro area I have had some of the best Italian food. But Nicoletta's does a very good job for a small town. It’s an intimate candle lit setting for the romantic at heart or for the men making it up to the wives for all the baseball talk. The only bad this is that the noise can be deafening in the place but they do play Sinatra on the stereo to cover it.
I started with their fried artichoke hearts with a lemon butter sauce and a mescaline salad. This dish was excellent. Forget what I ordered for dinner. I wish I had. I could have had 2 of this course.
The eggplant parm was forgettable, very heavy, sauce was too sweet. My husband enjoyed his spaghetti and sausage.