“Do Not Leave a Deposit” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Cooperstown
New YOrk
“Do Not Leave a Deposit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

Do not give this motel staff your credit card number. I have stayed at many hotels and motels. They take your credit card # to reserve the room but do not charge you until the day you arrive. The Lake View actually charged our card almost three weeks prior to our stay.

We were informed that we would receive a full refund as long as we gave seven days notice. Do not believe this!!!

Upon receiving a confirmation which stated there was a cancellation fee, I immediately contacted the motel to inform them that I was specifically told that there was no fee. They ignored me.

I cancelled the two rooms I reserved (with more than seven days notice) and was charged a $20 cancellation fee that I never agreed to. I will fight to get my money back but I am annoyed at this inconvenience.

We just came back from Cooperstown. My boys loved the Baseball Hall of Fame. Stay at the Mohican Motel, it is much more convenient to the Hall of Fame. You can walk or catch the trolley right outside the Motel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — My credit card account was charged prior to my stay and my refund was not accurate.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

We arrived on Friday of HOF induction weekend only to find out that the hotel thought that our internet reservation had been canceled months ago (apparently the internet site messed up and the hotel was completely reserved by ESPN staff). Luckily they had a cancellation and the manager, Tammy honored our reservation and gave us a room at our original rate (a lifesaver considering that there were no rooms to be had for 40 miles!). They gave us a lovely room in the newer building "on the hill" overlooking the lake. What a spectacular location and view! We had a large lawn and lounge chairs directly in front of our room and a large window overlooking the lake. The kids enjoyed swimming in the lake, which is crystal clear. The room was spotlessly clean. We had two queen beds, though the beds were not firm enough for me and so very uncomfortable. The motel is about 2-3 miles away from the park and ride lot for the trolley into town (which taked about 5 - 10 minutes and costs $3 per person per day). The staff are friendly and accomodating. Thank goodness for Tammy, the manager who worked with us to make our weekend a success rather than a disaster.

• Liked — lake view and great location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — although our room was bew, most rooms are not
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hackensack
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

We stayed at the Lakeview Motel for two nights while visiting Cooperstown. The room was clean and well maintained but the shower leaked all over the bathroom.

There were 6 of us and we were a little crowed in the room, but we spent most of our time outside. Yes, you have to cross the street to get to the beach area, but there were hardly any cars the weekend we stayed. We were able to fish off the dock (the office sells bait), swim, use the paddle boat and grill dinner on the charcoal grills.

The housekeeping staff was very pleseant.

It only took about 5 minutes to get to the center of town and it was nice to relax at the beautiful lake each night.

• Liked — Ostego Lake
  • Disliked — Leaking Shower
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
west newbury, ma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

This was one of the worst places I have ever stayed. They told me they were 10 minutes from Cooperstown Dreams Park and it turned out to be 11 miles and 25 minutes. My daughter and I were both bitten by something and after it stopeed itching 4 days later we have a bruise and a bump. In the morning we looked at the sheets that I thought were cream colored - but were in fact stained heavily with what I could only hope was urine and nothing worse. My daughters and myself woke with eyes swollen from allergies. The manager was a very nsty woman and I had to fight hard to get most of my money back so that I could stay at the local Howard Johnson's and stay for my sons baseball games. Also the beach is accross a busy road and I was staying with 3 small children. When you get there they have you sign a paper saying that you will not go to the lake with any less than 2 adults. Horrible Horible. If this is the only place you can stay do yourself a favor and saty home!!!

• Liked — When I checked out the following morning
  • Disliked — whatever bit me and my daughter
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
lakeviewmotel, Manager at Lake View Motel, responded to this review, February 27, 2009
The Lake View Motel management and staff take great pride in the services and care we provide to our guests. This is one of the rare instances where the guest was not happy before she walked in. Each reservation taken is thoroughly explained and this includes the distance from the village of Cooperstown, (10 minutes and Cooperstown Dreamspark, 20 minutes). Unfortunately there must have been a miscommunication as it relates to this particular guest.
Our seasoned housekeepers clean the rooms thoroughly on a daily basis. We are located out on beautiful Lake Otsego surrounded by the beauty of nature, with trees, animals and a little creek beside the motel. People who are highly allergic to grass, trees, etc. may have some difficulties with our surroundings but all rooms have air conditioners, so any allergies previously mentioned should be minimized by the climate controlled environment. All rooms receive routine pesticide applications by a professional service. Hence, we do not have and never have had insect/bug problems.
I vividly remember the encounter with this individual. Upon arrival she entered the office and was extremely agitated and would not listen to anything I tried to convey. I remained calm while she was extremely loud and rude. Regardless of the information given, her intent was to leave and cancel the balance of her stay. In an effort to calm her down I agreed to charge her the standard cancellation fee and refund the balance of her remaining stay.
Just minutes before another guest had just checked out stating “what a great place, they enjoyed there stay and would recommend Lake View Motel to all their friends and Family”. The Lake View Motel works hard to make everyone’s stay memorable and pleasant.
upstate ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

My family stayed in one of the lakeside cabins. We were a large group - five. But w/ better space planning by owners it could have been much better. The cabin was very clean. The access to the lake involved crossing a road that had busy periods during commuter times but was peaceful in the evening. Sitting on the small deck w/ lake views was a little bit of heaven. Hotel-owned beachfront was also a delight. A swim in the lake was invigorating. Paddle boats free for use by hotel guests were lots of fun. Back to the rooms - why they put a double bed in a room barely able to fit is beyond me. Why not two single beds, no dresser, just shelves? Larger bedroom w/ double bed also crowded. LR w/ sleeper sofa: when opened, no one could walk around it. After the first night and put a sleeping bag on the floor. One serious worry: pilot light did not work on one of the stove burners. We informed the management, who told us "just don't use it". We were travelling w/ elderly people and children who cannot be counted on to remember this. Yikes! There were other (one bedroom) cabins on top of the hill that looked very peaceful w/ great lake view.

• Liked — lake views & access
  • Disliked — crowded rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

Wasn't really expecting much and didn't really care - we were on a mission this year to hit as many baseball parks as we could in a one week period and cap it off with Cooperstown. Found this place by searching the internet and when we got there it was raining. I grew up in the NE so the age of the property and the size of the cottage did not surprise me.

But what did surprise me is the dinner coupon they gave us...silly thing isn't it. But the dinner was at the Lake Oswego resort and that alone made our stay complete!! They also gave us coupons for golf and one of the museums in Cooperstown.

The staff was as sweet as could be - there aren't any ammenities in this property - but I really wasn't expecting any.

It's pretty old but it's ok. If I were heading back that way I would stay there again. They had a dock for my son and husband to fish off - even in the rain - we fished - didn't catch anything.

There were TONS of boys around that were playing ball up there that week. That was fine by me. I honestly fell in love with the Lake Oswego Resort and that entire area. If I had a vacation to do again - yep - we would stay there if I couldn't get a great deal at the Oswego.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
chicago burbs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

My son was picked up on a baseball team in November "06 that was going to Cooperstown the following July"07, The team had made their reservations in August"06 and informed me that a decent place to stay would be hard to find. Boy were they ever wrong! By chance, my wife and I started looking on the internet and found the big name places were in fact booked. So we looked a little deeper and found this gem! The manager, Tammie, was extremely helpful with info for places to eat and visit! The room we stayed in #31, looked brand new ( was in fact approx. 5 years old ), the room and bathroom was spotless, and the maids were very accomodating! The view from our room was breathtaking! The beachfront, although small ,was large enough to have a great time swimming and cooling off after a long game, and my kids had a fun time fishing from the dock. On one night my son (13) and I went down to the dock and actually talked and admired the stars! I plan on going back, and when we do guess where we will be staying...unless I gave away the best kept secret in the Cooperstown area! The ride to Dreams Park is around 30 minutes and the Baseball Hall of Fame 20, but the ride is very scenic!!

• Liked — cleaness
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lake View Motel? Share your experiences!