“Average business hotel. Slow internet” 3 of 5 stars

Double HHonors Points
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Commack
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, MA
“Average business hotel. Slow internet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I was doing some business on Long Island in western suffolk county. There are lots of hotels located off 495 around Hauppague/Ronkonkoma but 495 going west is an absolute traffic nightmare in the morning and for some reason there are not a lot of chain hotels in the Smithtown/Kings Park area. I wanted something off 495 but anything 10-15 miles west of Commack is double the price and anything 10-15 miles east of Commack will take you 30-40 extra minutes of travel time during rush hour.

I would never stay at the dated Sheraton with its terrible customer service so the Hampton Inn was my only option. The hotel was almost full when I called for a reservation. Which was unfortunate because the greedy hotel will not honor any discounts (AAA, military, etc.) when the hotel is near to being full. So I ended up paying $150 per night, which in my opinion is about $50 more than this hotel is worth. This is a $100 - $120 tops hotel in terms of what you get. But, the location was exactly what I needed for Kings Park business, so I booked anyways.

The first complaint I have with this hotel is that the walls are pretty thin. I could hear several things from the next room ... mostly banging around. A couple toilet flushes. I couldn't really hear the TV or anything but anytime the person moved around it was annoying because I could hear it.

The biggest complaint I have is that the wireless internet is slow as molasses. It literally look me a minute to load a page. I could not even watch youtube videos because of the slow speed they loaded at. And uploading photos to facebook was also impossible. It is free, which is not true of the Hilton and Marriott large hotels in the area but free and slow is never a good combination.

The cable is annoying as well because there are about 15 channels that come in ... and from there on, there are two channels of black for every 1 channel of cable. It also is extremely slow to scroll through the channels because it will pause for a few seconds on every black out channel before bringing up the actual channel. They have HBO but I didn't really feel like the cable was easy to use.

The hotel is relatively clean. The decor and furniture seems updated, although the doors are still the old style metal doors that seem a little industrial. The room is a bit dark and dreary but there is a big wooden wall desk and closet at one end of the room, which is nice. I will say the rooms are nicer than I thought they would be ... although they are on the small side for a business hotel in this area. They don't feel spacious at all ... they feel almost like the rooms in a big city. Also, they have the white bed duvets that most chain hotels are going with these days which I hate because the beds look unmade this way.

This room reminded me of being on a cruise ship or a train in the way it was set up. It feels less like a business hotel room and more like a compartment on a boat. The bathroom is fairly small and utilitarian. It is like a cruiseship bathroom as it is set up for convenience and not space. The sink is in a sideways vanity and the shower curtain comes out on a curved bar to take up a lot of the room.

The beds here are firm and springy. Personally I like a soft bed, so these weren't the best for me. It was kind of uncomfortable ... like sleeping on a boxing ring canvas. The bedding wasn't the greatest either. I felt like the duvet was too small for the bed and the pillows were kind of flat.

There is a big table in the lobby with high chairs. It is a rather small lobby and I don't think it would be very comfortable to lounge in the lobby the way the Hilton Garden Inn or Courtyard by Marriott is. There really isn't a lot of space in this hotel. It all feels very cramped from the lobby to the rooms. At least there is ample parking. And free breakfast.

I would not stay here regularly. I would much rather have a nice, spacious Courtyard or Garden Inn. But for the location, so close to the Sagitos/Southern Parkway and LIE it was good for what I needed. This was an average stay for a much higher price than it was worth because they had me over a barrel as they were almost full.

Room Tip: There are no suites here, so don't expect an upgrade. They do have 'more spacious rooms'...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Arrived very late on the Sunday night after long international flight and was pleased to find the hotel, had not used Hampton before, offered a clean and comfortable room which was well appointed for the hotel grade. Hotel offered facilities but did not have time to take advantage of. Traffic might be a problem if you needed to cross town early in the morning. Although the breakfast, which was part of the package, I couldnt recommend relying on it unless you didnt have time to find an alternative. To balance that the hotel did provide free Wi-Fi which was better than some services that I have had to pay for.

Room Tip: Didnt find a problem with the standard double room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Long Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We checked in on a Saturday at about 3pm and decided to try and nap. Well, the people in the adjacent room were having about a 4-5 person gathering and it was as if they were in our room with us. We could hear every word. It was awful. That night they came home at about 3am and we were awoken and quite disturbed.
Otherwise the room was spacious and comfortable and the bed was great. Nice flat screen with good in room movies as well.
Breakfast the next morning was the usual forgettable fare, but they did have a lot of fresh fruit which was fantastic.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Spotsylvania, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Stayed for two nights at this Hampton Inn, as it was located close to a weekend event that I was attending. Only negative is the bed was not as comfy as most that I have found at other Hampton Inns. The noise level seemed to be a little more obvious, as we could hear talking in the room next door and in the hallway when our tv was off.
The complimentary breakfast was excellent (as I have come to expect at most Hampton Inns). Hot scrambled eggs, bacon and home fries on the first morning. Western omelet, sausage links and fruit on the next.
The hotel was a straight shot on rt 4 south to Belmont Lakes State Park, where the Walk that we were attending took place. Not far from LI Expressway, RT 495.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This hotel is nice. It's clean and the front desk staff is always very helpful and kind. The beds are very comfortable and the decor of the rooms are updated and nice. The water pressure is good, which is important to me. I haven't used the pool or gym so I cannot comment on them. The breakfast in the AM is good and plentiful. The round the clock coffee is a huge bonus. Some of the rooms however still smell like smoke. It's a shame but any hotel that was built before non-smoking was the standard has this problems. No matter what they do, its almost impossible to get rid of that stale smoke smell unless the tear down the interior of the hotel and start over. That being said, we were given a room that had a strong smoke smell and I called the front desk and they immediately moved us. The new room had a very small smoke smell but one that I know cannot be escaped considering. It was tolerable and so it worked out. It's just too bad that more cannot be done about older hotels and the smoke smell, but I know outside of a million dollar makeover, there isdn't much else that can be done. We have stayed here two times and I think its the best deal for the area. There are other hotels that are a lot more money and some that are cheaper and I am sure you get what you pay for. This place is great for an overnight stay. I don't think I would stay much more than two nights.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Hampton Inn @ Deer Park, NY

While visiting our store at Tanger Outlets at the Arches in Deer Park, NY immediately following Hurricane Irene, we stayed at the Hampton Inn on Commack at I-495.

The outlet center is south of the hotel, straight down Commack about 5 minutes away.

The King suite, room 232 was located at the end of the hall. The room was clean, quiet - even though the hotel is freeway adjacent.

Almost everything you could need: Flat Screen TV, Mini Fridge, Microwave, Iron and Board, Hairdryer. The desk had wheels so you could pull it out to face the window or the TV instead of the wall. (However, no safe.)

After a long drive through NYC in a 5-ton truck I liked the working massage shower head which had a strong pulse.

The service was great considering the fact that the Hurricane Irene had just past, they had WI-FI but the computers in the Business Center did not connect to the internet. No cable TV service either. I asked for a wake up call at 6am and the front desk said they could not as the "system" was down.

I know there is an easy solution to this problem of the wake-up call system being down, but either way, at least the clock radio work was working and had the correct time, so I figured the odds were good that I would make my morning appointment.

What I liked least about this room in particular was the mattress is in need of at least flipping if not replacement, the side closest to the door or the left-side of the bed, was no longer as supportive as the right side of the bed.

We will stay here again when visiting the outlets in Deer Park.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

This hotel is OK for the value, but once there, unless you drive a ways, you are stranded in a remote location off the highway. The only "there" there is a diner next door with good food and an alcohol license, relatively high diner prices, run by surly managers supported by competent and friendly waitstaff and populated by cranky, impatient customers(Though the wait for food was brief).There is no town close-by and so none of the amenities or sights of interest within walking distance that tend to make a hotel stay interesting.
The hotel itself is clean and the room was decent-size. The staff were rather indifferent, with the exception of the housekeepers and maintainence people, who were friendly and competent. There is a decent complementary breakfast with cereal, breads, a waffle-maker, pastries, eggs, turkey sausages, potatoes etc. Not at all bad for a free breakfast and the omelettes were at least luke-warm. There is also a pool and small health club as well as Wi-Fi. We stayed there as part of a wedding group. The wedding was fun and at least the reception was in a more interesting location than the Hampton. The Hampton could also use a bar and restaurant, but I don't think that is the Hampton thing. It's a budget hotel, so why whine too much? At least we had money left over for a good Wedding gift.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack? Share your experiences!