“a typical bar that offers a night of music by the sea” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue, Filipino
Orlando, Florida
“a typical bar that offers a night of music by the sea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

It was a hot, humid evening in the SBMA area where I was looking for a place to have fun and drink some booze. And after an hour of searching here and there, I finally came to Pier One.

The place was packed with people that evening and I had to park my car alongside the street since the bar's parking lot was already full. I was immediately welcomed by the performing band's music as you can hear them even while at the parking lot.

Since I came in at night, I couldn't speak more about the facade, other than it's decorated by soft multi colored light bulbs.

The place itself is enveloped by a huge tent-like roof, while some tables were covered by umbrellas -- nothing fancy here.

There is a rounded bar within the premises and it was packed by folks both local and foreign alike.

I was served the menu and ordered my first bottle of beer (which really don't come cheap, by the way). And the food? Well, let's just say that they serve the typical grub you'd find on most bars.

I got myself their version of shrimp tempura (also don't come cheap) and it was okay. Not great but okay. I also ordered beef with bitter gourd (ampalaya with beef as known with the locals) and it tasted a bit bland to my pallate. Bitter gourd should go well with the bitter after taste of beer, but their version of this dish does not complement that.

The band on stage were performing a tune by Bruno Mars and the sound system is really loud that you can't have a decent conversation with whoever you're with. I have seen bars do better with their sound set up and Pier One hasn't done a good job at that.

Still. if a night of music is all you crave then I guess this is the place to be when in Subic.

The place itself is located by the beach so you can feel that soft ocean breeze billowing gently unto the atmosphere.

I was on to my third bottle and the next band came up on stage. Let the noise commence (again)! They really should come up with a solution to this -- in fact, I was seated far from the stage already and I can't hear myself (and my companions) speak.

The performing bands were good, by the way. The way the sound system was set up was really terrible in my opinion, and I think they can come up with a better solution to address this let down.

Other than that there is really nothing uncommon about Pier One -- I suppose the management can come up with better ideas in the future.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

47% Recommend
Manila
“Cheap & Noisy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

don't stay too near the area if u are looking for a place to relax & unwind. too many sleazy happenings going on can't help but feel bad for the girls who had to hang with rowdy foreign tourists.

Visited April 2013
San Diego, California
“Beachside, Beer and Bands!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is probably the liviest joint after hours on Subic. Great location right on the beach and service is fast and friendly.

Great place for si-sig and other tasty Filipino dishes and washed down with a San Miguel beer, who can ask for anything more?

They have bands performing nightly. Great place to unwind.

Visited December 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Ok in a area without great choices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Not a area with gret restaurants. Was propositioned. Food was marginal. Would not recommend subic for vacation, there are much much better options. Go only if you need to.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Shenzhen, China
“We Loved It!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Myself and my girl friend were in Subic and this is the one place that we returned to numerous times throughout our stay.
The bands tend to be different each night and are of differing qualities but thats what makes it fun to me, one set per band from what we experienced. We were also there for Valentines day and they had a guest band in from Manila who were fantastic, there was an entrance fee this night but it was small.
The food is good, drinks cold and reasonably priced, service was lacking on the first night but we stuck to the same area and called upon the same waiter each night and after tipping on the first night the service was much better on following nights!
Take mosquito repellant as all seating is open air.

• Visited January 2013