“There are better ways to spend your money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Swan View Manor

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cold Spring Harbor
Swan View Manor
You added Swan View Manor to your Saves list
45 Harbor Rd, Cold Spring Harbor, Huntington, NY 11724   |
NY/NJ Metro
“There are better ways to spend your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

I wanted a place to et away for a few days to write. Rather than a commercial motel, I decided on the Swan View because of its location in Cold Spring Harbor. The Harbor is the only thing I enjoyed.

Rooms, as described by others, are sad - reminded me of my grandmother's 70's bedrooms, with purple flowered wallpaper and icky green carpet. Everything is dated, and not in a Victorian, charming way. The main house is shabby, without the chic. The sofas seem intentionally hard and unwelcoming, and I truly can't imagine sitting there for more than a few minutes.

The continental breakfast was sad - worst was that "hot" water came from an office-style water cooler. The tea selection was uninspired, to say the least. One afternoon, when I actually asked for boiling water for a cup, I was greeted with surprise that the tepid watercooler wasn't working for me.

I went to write - I ended up doing my best work in the Huntington Starbucks down the road. I could have gotten the same experience, far more cheaply, at a Motel 6.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Farmingdale, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

We won a gift certificate at a local fundraiser for a night's stay. We unfortunately missed the expiration date by a couple of days and they would not honor the certificate (not even for a percentage off of a room rate). I did not think this was good customer service. I would not consider this place in the future.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Cold Spring Harbor hotels

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

Arrangements were made for a weekend stay at this quaint inn.

We were very pleasantly surprised to find an IMMACULATELY clean room, with very comfortable mattress. We were even provided with a stool to climb onto the bed since the mattress was that thick.

The bathroom had all the amenities you would find in a multi star hotel (hariblower, shampoo, conditioner, etc). The shower was clean and the towels were oversize and plush.

The hosts were most hospitable and accommodating. We had special dietary requirements, and they stored our food in their refigerator. We ate our meals in the dining room on lace covered tables that overlooked the harbor.

We would recommend this place to anyone thinking of visiting the region and if we plan to be back there again, this is the place we would stay.

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendliness
  • Disliked — No grounds
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fort Lauderdale, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

I wish I'd read the reviews before we booked here. This is a glorified roadside motel with flowered wallpaper. Stayed at peak season, so it was definitely a waste of money. Small room, mold in the bathroom, peeling wallpaper, nothing B&B about it. The innkeeper was unfriendly and even got defensive when I suggested she check the bedding after I'd received bug bites from sleeping on the bed. The only good comment I can make is it's convenience to the quaint town of Cold Spring Harbor.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

I came to Swan View Manor for business, and upon arrival I wanted to leave immediately. I had no choice but to sufer and stay as all the other B&Bs and hotels were booked. This is a small motel with no amenities. It is NOT a B&B or quaint Inn. It is unkept, worn, dirty and offers no warmth or coziness. There was no hot water the first night, and no amenities (shampoo, blow dryer, ironing board, clothes closet, etc.). The rooms are tiny with shabby furnishings. The bkft wasn't served until 7:30am so I had to get coffee and breakfast each morning at a deli nearby as that was the only way for me to get a cup of coffee before 7:30am. The inn-keepers are not friendly or helpful. It is the worst accomodation experience I've had in my 20 yrs of worldwide business travel.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Long Island, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

We came to SWAN VIEW for our anniversary and left within 10 minutes. It is a victorian looking house, but there is nothing victorian about it. Upon arriving we noticed a small motel right next to it, and I thought I hope they do not try to put us in there. Well upon entering the house I realized there was nothing charming or impressive about this either. It is unkept and offers no warmth or coziness which one often looks for in a Bed and Breakfast. The innkeeper who was unkept herself and looked less than thrilled with her occupation, led us to our room which was a room in the motel located outside the house. It was a tiny room which had a musty smell. The bed was tiny and uncomfortable and the bathroom wallpaper was peeling off. The room was HORRIBLE. We made the decision to leave since this was NOT A BED AND BREAKFAST!!!! Do not waste your time and money. There are many wonderful true bed and breakfast scattered throughout the island, and this is not one of them

• Liked — we got a refund
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

I was traveling for business and stayed two nights. I couldnt wait to leave. I was looking forward to this and read that they had a recent renovation. It was just yucky feeling. It wasnt dirty but it smelled terrible I had to go buy Glade spray. The smell was mildewy and just nasty. The furniture and bed were old(not antique) They say they have internet access and do not. There was an HBO guide in the room and no HBO. NO hair dryer, No Iron or board. I won't stay again....
It Might not be so bad in the summer when they can air the rooms out. Also the highway next to the room did not bother me. (I had to write at least one nice comment)!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business

Been to Swan View Manor? Share your experiences!