“Relaxing dinner with excellent food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 23 Restaurants in Cold Spring
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East Post Rd & Maple
Transit: Metro North, Express Bus from Manhattan and Local Beeline service is available within walking distance.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Relaxing dinner with excellent food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My companion and I had dinner at the Hudson House. We were seated outside with a great view of the park and the river. Unfortunately, it started to rain and we had to move inside, but the staff quickly reseated us at a window table. They had an interesting selection of signature cocktails and I had one of the mojitos. I had a delicious crabbed-stuffed fish with lobster mashed potatoes (big chunks of lobster) and my friend had the prime rib, also very good. The wait staff was attentive, but not intrusive and we enjoyed a very pleasant hour before heading off to the Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival just a few minutes away.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Dutchess County, New York
“Nice location to river”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I had been to Hudson House twice before for lunch and enjoyed it but this was my first time for dinner. I was looking forward to the meal and was hoping my husband would like it as well. (He's glued to Italian food).
We were greeted and seated quickly and water came within the first minute. I was telling my husband about the great popovers and strawberry butter when a basket of crostini arrived with bruschetta. No popovers! Apparently they are served only for lunch. But the bruschetta was tasty.
I reviewed the wine list and saw nothing I wanted so we passed on that. Waitress was pleasant and reviewed the specials, never giving prices.
My husband started with NE clam chowder and then we shared the appetizer special of crab cakes, shrimp cocktail, Portobello mushroom and mozzarella with tomato. Everything was good. Shrimp should have been colder but it was good. Tartar sauce was excellent as were the yummy crab cakes.
My husband ordered spinach ravioli with vodka sauce and I had splurged and ordered the Porterhouse for 2 since the menu states $29.95 for two. Great price, right?
ODDLY, my steak was served first, before my husband's ravioli! And surprisingly is was already sliced. Not sure why. I don't like that delivery. Waitress had two spoons to serve it to me on another plate. I definitely didn't care for that. I checked and saw that it was red so it had to go back since I had ordered medium...pink center. (And I did specify pink.) In the meantime my husband's dinner arrived. He gave it a "'thumbs up" except for the portion size. For the price, $23.95, it was a small portion and small ravioli. (Not the Italian size!)
When my steak came back, a very short time later, it was overcooked. Oh well. But it was the taste that left much to be desired. There was an odd spicy aftertaste that was unpleasant. Had the waitress come back I would have returned it. But she didn't so I started eating. It was tender. That's all I can say about it. I had planned on taking half home so that's what I did. We asked to have our leftovers wrapped up. A minute later the bus boy came back and said someone in the kitchen had thrown out the ravioli. I guess it never dawned on him to tell them to adjust our bill or prepare another 1/2 portion and wrap it up. We told him to do one or the other so we had to wait for that to be prepared.
The most memorable part of the dinner was getting the check. The porterhouse was not $29.95 as the menu states but actually $59.95. I'll never forget the look on my husband's face. Not so reasonable after all! And certainly not worth that price. It is misrepresented on the menu.
Would I go back, yes, but only for lunch. Dinner was so disappointing. And so expensive. Just not worth it.
Nice location across from the river. But go for the lunches. And the popovers.
If you do go for dinner, stay away from the steaks.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Had brunch here with a friend and my two dogs on Sunday. They were most accommodating of my dogs making sure they had shade and bringing them ice-water. I had the Caesar salad with Cajun shrimp and it was perfect. The Caesar dressing had a nice tangy kick while the shrimp were large and spicy. Mimosas were light with no bitterness and the bananas foster was a do it yourself delight. Our waitress, Kelly, couldn't have been better; and all this while looking at the scenic Hudson backdrop. Thank you everyone at Hudson House for a fabulous break from NYC, can't wait to come back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
tappan
“They had me at fresh popovers ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

A picturesque view of the Hudson
Fresh popovers
Artfully presented food and cocktails
Professional servers
A wonderful experience

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“Charming, riverview, delightful restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Perfect way to spend a lovely afternoon...take a drive along the eastern side of the Hudson up to Cold Spring and stop into the Hudson House for lunch...meal was wonderful...setting was charming and cozy...service was fabulous...would definitely go back.

• Visited June 2014