“West Point views, watch the tankers on the river and mountains across the river!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hudson House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cold Spring
Hudson House Inn
You added Hudson House Inn to your Saves list
2 Main Street, Cold Spring, NY 10516   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Cold Spring B&B and Inns
delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the Hudson House with my 22 yr old daughter, a bonding kayak trip and 1st time visit to Cold Spring.
I'm sorry but we loved the old quirky place! No it is not a Lord Ashley Inn like the Inn at Perry Cabin in St Michaels, MD or the Inn at Sawmill Farms in West Dover, VT. Please... the rooms at the Hudson House are 175-+not $400 per night. Let me explain what excited us about the H. H. I.
The common areas reflect the owners caring responsibility to preserve an historic feel to their Inn. An Inn since 1682 the wide pine floors, fireplaces and decor recalled the days of Washington and the Revolution. Both dining areas were lovely! One w/French country blues, yellows, & white also oak chairs and windows overlooking front porch, new small waterfront park and gazebo. The other room we noticed was large and used one of the days for a Bridal (or Baby)Shower located off the bar area with Windsor chairs and white table clothes, dark walls & fireplace offering a totally romantic venue or terrific party room.
The food made US very happy! My daughter raved about her filet mignon and bananas foster, my surf and turf was to be a lobster tail with steak( at my request they happily substituted the lobster with the evenings' specialty Diver sea scallops, as I had lobster the night before elsewhere) the hot veggies were fresh and bread came with a tomato/basil bruschetta spread. Only downside was the tables were a little too close.Oh by the way the restaurant was packed by 6:30 ,seemed like a very elite happy crowd too. The dress code is liberal.
The private entrance to 2nd story rooms offered the lemonade and WOW choc. choc. cookies were a nice treat if needed one. Had a Queen bedroom with small balcony, perfect for our brief use and river view. Bed was comfy,our bathroom was fine, had AC to give relief from the 92 degree heat both days. We were always greeted with a "how is everything" and I'm sure if I had a problem they would somehow try to help out.
The way the town was set up was unusual or unexpected and unique. If you go for the first time by train (we left car at Tarrytown which was wonderful as we came from Delaware a 4 hr drive), you get off and see trees on one side and parking lot on other with river beyond. Follow the train platform either side to the pedestrian Tunnel that takes you to the upper town (hilly, some antique shops, restaurants and Hudson valley Outfitters (kayaks, etc)or around tunnel entrance to go to river and park and Inn.
I enjoy an adventure, but I have also eaten and stayed in some VERY nice places, we liked where we stayed and would stay there again. Hope this helps! kt

• Liked — Historical, Riverfront, Easy access from train, food!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Brooklyn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

My boyfriend and I came here for 2 nights for a romantic getaway outside the Big Apple. We chose this place because it is convenient to walk to and has rooms overlooking the Hudson River. For $200 a night, I guess I expected something special. The room was in need of new carpet and wallpaper was peeling off the bathroom walls. There was a nastly looking brownish orange dust all around the top of the baseboard in the bathroom. There were stains on the bedspread. The door to the balcony had a broken lock. There was a dresser drawer that would not shut and always stuck out half open.

The Inn advertises itself as historic and of a bygone era-I really didn't see anything left of what was once historic unless you consider 1992 to be historic now.

The Inn played this terrible muzak in the bar area, common area downstairs, and the restaurant. It was terrible muzak and what's worse is they played it so loud I could hardly hear the conversation I was having at breakfast. A beautiful view of the Hudson River with super loud muzak at 8:30 AM? Not enjoyable. The muzak was so loud we could hear it on our balcony as we sat and wanted to listen to the river instead. At breakfast, my fiance's meal was brought out first. I waited over 30 minutes and they still had not brought mine. When I asked, they said they were waiting to cook more potatoes! Why not tell me there are no more potatoes in the first place and ask what I would like instead? My dear polite partner let his breakfast get cold to eat along with me.

In the evening we thought we would be able to get a bucket of ice from the front desk as instructions in our room said...but the whole area was closed and there was not one staff member on duty at 6 PM!

Strange strange hotel. Such an absolutely beautiful location and natural setting. A place with this kind of service should charge very discounted rates. They are pretending to be a luxury hotel, but they are not in any way. You even have to have a calling card to make a long distance call from the room. Choose another inn in town and walk down to the river instead.

• Liked — Location on the Hudson River and proximity to train
  • Disliked — Shoddy decor and terrible loud muzak
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Cold Spring hotels

DeBazer
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

Where to start? I arranged a weekend trip to the Hudson House Inn as a Christmas present for my wife, booked about one month in advance. When we arrived at the front desk Rich informed us that the inn was having a problem with the heating. Therefore, the room we had booked (riverview with no balcony) was not available. As this is an older property, problems like this do come up at times. Rich told us that we would be staying in a street view room with no balcony, at the lower rate (but not discounted).

Here's where we should have known better. How does an inn take a reservation, knowing that you are coming from 2 hours away, and not even bother to call to ask if a change like this is ok? It would be one thing if this was an econo-lodge, or some cut rate motel, but they are charging upwards of $180 for a room.

We took the street view room, and Rich told us he would buy us a drink for our troubles (which we never got!) Friends of ours were staying here at the same time, and we met in the inn's restaurant to have dinner.

Mistake number 2!!! The menu says that the "aged steaks" are the specialty of this restaurant. I ordered a filet mignon, as did my wife, and we both ordered the steaks medium rare. As an appetizer, I had the lobster bisque. I have to admit, the bisque was wonderful. The steak, however, was cooked well done- and it took half an hour for us to get it!

When I'm on a small vacation like this, I don't like to spend my time arguing over the inefficacy of others. I chalked it up to this place being poorly managed, and I guess I must be somewhat right. I noticed that the same staff works there all the time- I mean ALL the time, morning to night. So obviously they are having some staffing problems, having people working 12+ hour shifts.

The next night, Sunday, the heat went out in OUR room! We were hustled downstairs to another room at 11 pm- just in time because the staff were all leaving for the night.

What were we offered for our bad time? Nothing. NADA. Not a dime off of the room rate. I have read some of the reviews on here (ps thanks for nothing Time Out New York!!) and see that things like this tend to happen here. I have lived in 8 different cities in the US, have been to Asia, Europe, Mexico, and Canada, and never experienced anything like this.

We'll see what happens when I contact management this week.

• Liked — The Bar by the Fireplace
  • Disliked — Everything Else
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

Stayed at the hudson house this past weekend and had a wonderful time. Views of the hudson were amazing. If you are lucky enough to get a riverview with balcony you will really enjoy sitting out on the hudson. Staff was very competent and accomodating.

Best surprise was the restaurant - the food was excellent (we ate at the restaurants both nights because our first night was so good)- we dine out often in ny and the steaks were comprable to nyc steakhouses......wine list was excellent and again the views of the hudson from the river room were superb

We highly suggest you visit this inn.

• Liked — the relaxed feel
  • Disliked — small bathrooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2007

We booked this hotel and The Pig Hill Inn for our wedding guests. Hudson House paled in comparison to The Pig Hill Inn. The rooms at HH were so outdated and severely lacked any character. The rooms never actually seemed to cool down either. The worst part is that we were quoted one price and were billed far in excess of that (which seems to be a pattern with this hotel). We explained that that was not what we agreed upon, as we had the prices and confirmation in writing, and I had the names of the various people I spoke with confirming our reservations, but they refused. Sadly, in addition to misinforming us on the price (and in writing), they also misinformed us of many other things. Definitely not a great way to end a wedding weekend.

We also booked for a nice sized (13 people) dinner out on the patio facing the water (and confirmed it before we arrived), but when we arrived, people were already sitting outside, and they said they could not accommodate us outside because of their error.

Although downstairs looks nice and many of the employees were kind, it could not make up for the horrible and incredibly overpriced rooms (and I saw many of the rooms, including their suites, though they should not dare call them that).

Although I was staying at the HH, I spent more time at the PH Inn where the people were incredbily friendly and the rooms incredibly charming.

None of our guests at the HH seemed impressed with their rooms and prices.

Stay elsewhere!!!!

• Stayed June 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tokyo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

We stayed at the Hudson House Inn February 8 through February 12, 2007. The service was accommodating, friendly and efficient. The room was warm and cosy, although it is just about time to update the carpeting and bath. Judging from reviews of earlier stays and comments from the locals, it seems that the former, dismal manager is no longer there. Hudson House is vastly preferable to Plumbush Inn, where we stayed on a prior visit, in terms of room conditions, location and, above all, service.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

Bottom Line: Don't stay here

I would like to address the incredible disappointment I have experienced during my stay at the Hudson House. I made the reservations to stay at the Hudson House in July of 2005 for the weekend of October 6-October 9, 2006 (please see attached confirmation letter). My wife and I originally planned to stay in the area for two nights, but due to the Hudson House’s mandatory three night stay we decided to take Monday off (a holiday neither of our work places granted). We booked our flight arrangements and rental car around this schedule as well. Fifteen months in advance of our stay.

The quality of our room was mediocre at best. It is located in a beautiful location, but the furniture was worn out, the bed was small and sagging, and the bathroom left much to be desired. I could not justify spending $200 a night to stay in the room, but could understand the desirability of the location along the Hudson River.

The service we experienced was abysmal. I can only think of one other time that I have been treated that poorly and it was in a combat zone. The managers’ attitude when we first arrived was one of irritation that she had to check us in and rush us through signing a no smoking policy. It took forever to check in. In hindsight I think I know why. On the day of our final stay we received a phone call in the afternoon telling us that we were not scheduled to stay there that final night and that they had moved all of our personal belongings into a linen closet. The manager explained that the house was booked and someone had made reservations three months prior. I explained that I had made reservations 15 months prior and had the letter confirming that. Furthermore I explained that both my wife and I had missed work and rented a rental car for an extra day in order to fulfill their mandatory three day reservation policy. I also asked for an inventory of all the personal items that they had taken out of the room and placed in the linen closet. They did not have one. I am not a big fan of strangers handling my personal items and my wife’s jewelry. The manager on duty was very snooty in her responses and accused us of being loud the night before at three in the morning-as if that excused all of her screw ups to this point. When I pointed out to her that my wife and I had walked in at 9:58 pm walked upstairs and gone to bed at 10:03pm, she just muttered sorry that it must have been someone else, which indeed it was-I woke up when I heard them crashing around the paper thin walls at 3 am as well. I am not a big fan of false accusations either. Instead of spending a romantic evening together along the Hudson River, I am now in a linen closet, inventorying my personal belongings, repacking my bags, and contacting friends to spend the night with. Fortunately they were able to oblige, and they had a more comfortable guest bed anyways.

After we finished repacking our bags, I went downstairs to talk to the manager. I confirmed that they only charged me for two nights. She also told me that she would contact the owners and explain the situation to them and we would talk about a refund. I asked when I could expect to hear from them. She explained (in a very arrogant manner) that I should hear something by Friday, October 13. I curtly thanked her and drove another 45 minutes to stay at a friends’ house.

On October 13, I called the Hudson House since they obviously were not going to call me. The manager told me the same story and confirmed that we would hear from them by Friday, October 20. It is now October 24 and I have heard nothing. At this point I realized I was not dealing with a six sigma organization, despite six sigma costs. My wife contacted American Express to contest the charges. American Express was shocked at the treatment we received and agreed to take it up with the hotel through their claims department. The service and care the AMEX agent expressed was a welcome relief to the customer service dealings we had experienced with the Hudson House. I am a new AMEX user and was unaware of this service, but I can assure you that I will always try to pay with AMEX in the future.

As a temporary resident of Silicon Valley, I have come to see the power of the internet. I logged onto tripadvisor.com to view some of the ratings of the Hudson House. To my shock I found that someone had a similar experience to ours in the realm of booking for three days and being told they could only stay for one. I am not sure of the Hudson House’s business model, but overbooking at a 12 room B&B does not generate the same revenues that the airlines enjoy from overbooking. It simply infuriates otherwise good customers.

The manager’s behavior to me was inexcusable. Her disdain, disorganization, and general snootiness would not be tolerated in any organization I led. As an active duty Infantry Officer (she knew this because I wore my uniform to a Parade Saturday and a formal Friday night), I am used to dealing with tough talk, harsh conditions, and uncertainty. I don’t expect to deal with those same conditions within my own Country at a Bed and Breakfast I am paying a lot of money to visit. I might not be the wealthiest client that has passed through the Hudson House, but I feel that I still deserve to be treated with the courtesy, dignity, and respect that I received at the Motel 6 when I was driving across the Country-a Country that I have fought for.

The Banana Pancakes are really good.

• Liked — Location and Pancakes
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Book somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hudson House Inn? Share your experiences!