“Great Location but Disappointing Rooms” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hudson House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cold Spring
Hudson House Inn
You added Hudson House Inn to your Saves list
2 Main Street, Cold Spring, NY 10516   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Cold Spring B&B and Inns
Branford, Connecticut
“Great Location but Disappointing Rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

We traveled to the Hudson Valley, for the first time, for a long relaxing weekend. This Inn is in a great location and one can walk to everything. The staff was wonderful as was the food in the dining room. Sitting by the fire, in the pub, was nice and cozy. What was disappointing was that the dining room had no heat at breakfast or at dinner. Our rooms, we moved several times, were either too hot, too cold and unfortunately dirty. The device to control the heat did not work.
We made the best of our stay and let the staff know how we felt.
We will not travel back to this Inn.

Room Tip: In the winter make sure you are able to control the temperature in your room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Stamford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We traveled to Cold Spring, NY on a whim in mid-October and decided to stay overnight. We looked up the area reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to check out the Hudson House Inn. Upon arrival, we were shown the only room available and were able to book it on the spot. While we would have probably booked a room with a larger bed had we planned ahead, overall we found the full size bed room and decor charming. The bathroom was in good condition and our room faced out toward the water. The television in the room, however, was quite small and old-fashioned. Also, there was a wedding reception taking place below our room, and we could hear the music quite clearly. Luckily, the reception came to an end at a reasonable hour that night. All in all, the room was just what we needed for a one night stay. The next morning, we managed to just make it to breakfast, which was delicious and the service was very good as well.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

This hotel has a truly wonderful location, and the view from my window was stgunning.

Apart from that, its best feature is the kitchen. I had all my meals here becuase both the quality of the food and the service were fisrt class.

But going upstairs to my room was like moving to a different establishment. The decore was a little tired, but more importantly my room (number 10) suffered the worst noise pollution I have ever encountered. I could hear every word spoken by my neighbours. The sound seemed to be coming gthrough an interconnecting door. This situation is not acceptable and should be fixed by the proprietors.

My bathroom sink had no plug, which suggests poor maintenance.

Finally, the room was a bit on the small side.

If had been rating the room alone I would have given two stars, but taking account of the kitchen I am going to four stars overall.

Cols Spring itself, both the town and the surrounding scenery, was really lovely. I also enjoyed an excellent concert in the little chapel on the waterfront on Sunday afternoon.

Room Tip: Avoid room 10 - noisy
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We’ve been coming to The Hudson House Inn for many years. It’s also where my husband proposed to me, so it's a place with great sentimental value for us, as well. However, after our last experience at the inn, I’m sad to say we will not be back. I have never written a review before, but was so disappointed at how the owner handled us on this most recent visit, I felt compelled to write.

We booked the stay well in advance, and it was going to be our first night away as a couple since the birth of our daughter. As it happened, turned out this weekend was the first bad storm of the season. We never imagined we’d be getting any kind of real snow in October. So although we knew the weather wasn’t going to be great in the 24 hours preceding our stay, we also know the inn has a cancellation policy, so we decided to make the most of it anyway.

Three hours after we checked in, the entire inn lost power. No heat, no hot water and no electricity. Frankly, we were shocked that a business of this size with a full restaurant did not have a back-up generator. It must be said the manager on duty, Rich, did his very best to keep everyone in positive spirits and they were even able to cobble together some sandwiches for the customers huddled in the dark dining room. But we couldn’t shower, and the entire inn was pitch black except for a few tea candles to guide us around the room. We were also freezing all night, as the room had no heat. My husband and I had been so excited to sleep late for the first time in a year since having the baby, and instead, we truthfully couldn’t get out of there fast enough in the morning. We departed at 7:30am feeling cold, dirty and hungry (part of the rate included a breakfast, but with no power, there was no breakfast forthcoming that morning).

We made it clear when we left that we were very disappointed. Stuff happens, we understand that. But the rate we paid was to include basic services like heat, a hot shower, electricity, etc. and that we didn’t feel we should have to pay for what was an indoor camping experience. It’s not what we signed up for and we made it clear that if the owner disagreed with our point of view on this, we asked to be contacted.

Instead, we checked our statement to find we had been insultingly billed fully for the room with not so much as a phone call. We called to inquire about the charge and instead of the owner speaking to us directly, she had someone call us back to speak for her. Her message was loud, clear and not the least bit hospitable. We were told we should have seen the forecast and we could have cancelled and that it was our own fault that we decided to come. Shame on us for not having guessed there'd be no power, I guess. I suppose the forecast should have also included that the Hudson House didn’t have the business sense to purchase a gas generator. That would have also been useful information for the poor couple who were supposed to have a rehearsal dinner at the inn's restaurant that same night. I guess that was their fault, too.

Talk about missing the big picture; this is simple Hospitality 101. We are so bummed because unfortunately their short-sighted business sense has ruined what was a lovely ongoing tradition. There are several other lovely B&B’s in the area and I would recommend going elsewhere if you are planning a trip to Cold Spring. There's simply no need to go to Hudson House.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Cold Spring hotels

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

On the night of the severe Halloween blizzard, we had to get off the Taconic, Rte 84 was closed and Rte 9 was a parking lot. We were stranded in Cold Spring in horendous cold, blizzardlike conditions. Gracious townfolk at the Pizza place suggested we knock on the doors at Harbor House, since power was out and phones were not working. The door was open and the innkeeper was lighting candles. He then told us he was closed, he had no rooms, and we should sleep in our car in the train station parking lot. Clearly he was open for some, but not for others. In an emergency this was a real cold shoulder. We would have gladly paid full room rates for a blanket on a sofa or on the floor.
Under these circumstances, I would have opened my private HOME to stranded, freezing travelers. If he is ever stranded in a remote town, I hope others provide a more humane example for him and his family.

Room Tip: Don't bother even stopping.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
HudsonHouseInn, Manager at Hudson House Inn, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
We are sorry that your visit to Cold Spring coincided with a horrendous "Noreaster" in October no less. We are also sorry that we were fully booked and did not have accomodations for you to stay over. We would also like to apologize that in a state of emergency a local business advised you to come to Hudson House when the entire county was pretty much out of power. Cold Spring Fire and Police Departments which are within walking distances would have been much better options given the circumstances. With that said we feel it would have been irresponsible of the Hudson House to try and take care of any more patrons than our registered guests. Our priority was to keep every registered guest safe and secure- we were fully out of power- no heat, hot water, etc............we have one fireplace in our main building with just enough seating around it for our registered guests.
Over 180,000 Central Hudson residences and businesses were out of power throughout the Hudson Valley we feel the Hudson House did an outstanding job to there abilities of taking care of there guests who stayed with us through the weekend. We do understand your frustrations of coming to an inn and finding that it is fully booked.
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

My husband and I combined a business trip with "couple time" and were looking for somewhere other than a chain hotel for our time alone. Reading mixed reviews nearly made us eliminate this inn, but we were so glad that we gave it a chance! First, be aware that this is a HISTORIC inn...meaning it is old, charming, and you will not find flat screen televisions, central a/c, and wireless connection. You WILL find courteous and attentive staff, very comfortable beds, clean rooms, a stunning view of the Hudson River and West Point, a delicious breakfast (included) that you can order off the menu, and a plethora of cute shops and restaurants to while away your leisure time. If you like experiencing the hospitality of times past, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: River facing rooms have best view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I did not stay here myself, as I live in Cold Spring. However, I joined a colleague who stayed here for a sumptious dinner. Sat on the porch overlooking the Hudson. It was on the expensive side, so we were thankful for our expense accounts! But everything we had was wonderful. The report on the hotel rooms was not good. I saw the room myself- it was in bad need of sprucing up. The shower needed grouting. I was embarassed as I had recommended it as a place to stay.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hudson House Inn? Share your experiences!