“Met and exceeded our expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Met and exceeded our expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

We had never eaten at Artie's before, but after reading very positive reviews we made reservations for Christmas Eve. We were seated in the smaller of three dining rooms. Our waitress took our order efficiently, and served our drinks promptly. Although we were a party of six, we ordered enough appetizers for eight! We should have stopped there, because they were generous portions--and delicious! Speaking for myself, my eyes were bigger than my stomach, and we then ordered our entrees. Each entree looked better than the next!! Okay, so I forced myself to finish every last drop of mine (Fruta de Mare)!! Absolutely wonderful! My wife had the whole snapper. Beautiful presentation! Others had the Captain's Platter, the Tuna, and Chilean Sea Bass. All I can say is that if you want to enjoy a delicious mean in a warm and friendly atmosphere, take a ride to City Island and go directly to Artie's. Mangia, Mangia!

New York City, New York
“Excelent Italian Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Zuppa di pescce for two is amazing!!! The atmospheres is really special for dinners. There is no doubt that Artie's is one of the best Italian Restaurant in New York City

Visited December 2012
New York
“The Best on City Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Artie's Steak & Seafood is the best food on City Island. The best service, the best decor which is casual but upscale. Everything is good on the menu. I recommend the Mahi mahi which is simply delicious and juicy. I've tried most things they serve and I have not found fault in anything. Located on Main Street it's pretty much in the center of the Island. When you compare it to other places to eat, those other places appear gimmicky and expensive. If you're going to spend the money right, do it here, dress up nice. The atmosphere is low light so it makes for a nice date and when you're done eating, take a walk on Main Street which on a warm night is a pleasant thing to do.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City
“Could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Well, I can't be accused of not giving a restaurant it's fair chance. Last night was the third time we have dined at Artie's and I can't say that the place has improved much within the past two years. To its credit, the restaurant itself is very comfortable and nicely set up. The staff are very friendly and the service is great. The food however is at best fair. We ate here during Bronx restaurant week, yet when we arrived there you would not have known it since there wasn't any signage stating that. We were seated at our table and given their regular menu, when I asked if there was a special menu for restaurant week our very nice waitress seem a little confused and went off in search of one. We felt that perhaps we were the first customers taking advantage of this special offer. The Restaurant week menu consisted of a choice of 3 basic appetizers, 3 basic entrees and 3 basic desserts for the price of $20.12 per person.
For appetizers, I ordered the fried calamari, pretty much a staple in any Italian restaurant. Being an Italian seafood restaurant how could I go wrong?
The dish itself was rather bland, the breading wasn't seasoned at all and fried a bit too long. The side of marinara sauce was perhaps the blandest sauce I have eaten since the cafeteria lunches I had in high school.
A quick word here about marinara sauce- the bottled sauce industry has made great strides in the last 5 years, there are many different brands ranging from bad to excellent. The better ones have led Italian grandmas and mamas to throw away their aprons,pack up their pots and substitute the store bought sauces for their own. Many a Italian husband have been tricked into believing that the bottled kind is home made. So there is no excuse for the tasteless sauce I had last night
For dinner, 2 of us had the shrimp scampi, which want bad except for the strange slightly acid like taste of the sauce. The side of rice pilaf, also bland, was served in a separate bowl rather than on the main plate which didn't make a nice presentation at all, it was just kind of slopped in a bowl.
The dessert consisted of New York style cheese cake that was obviously bought rather than made on premises. Not bad and presented nicely. Is this a terrible place to eat? Not by any means. I just think that they need to try a little harder.

Brooklyn, New York, United States
“A welcome change”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We enjoyed our meals. The seafood was super fresh! The waiter gave us advice on some of our choices! I'd come here again!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Artie's Steak & Seafood? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Artie's Steak & Seafood, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.