“Big Don's Wild River Mini Golf is not what it is advertised to be.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Big Don's Wild River Mini Golf

Big Don's Wild River Mini Golf
8408 Button Road, Cicero, NY 13039
315-698-0098
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 4 Fun and Games in Cicero
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether you are visiting the Syracuse area or are a resident, Big Don's is a great place to spend an afternoon with your friends and family while enjoying a unique combination of 9 fun activities that appeal to children and adults. We offer a modern Miniature Golf course built in 2004, Outdoor Laser Tag (Battleground), Giant Amaze'n Maze, Squirt gun battles in the maze, Rock Climbing Wall, three discovery activities (Gemstone panning, treasure digs and coin hunts)and bounce house plus soft service ice cream, beverages and snacks. We offer birthday parties and group rates for qualified groups. We have available seating and free parking. We have per activity rates and packages available for those wanting to enjoy more than one activity per outing.
Syracuse, New York
54 attraction reviews
“Big Don's Wild River Mini Golf is not what it is advertised to be.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is advertised as a resort level mini golf. This course is average at best. Their are better courses in the area to visit.

Visited October 2012
BigDonCicero_NY, Manager at Big Don's Wild River Mini Golf, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thanks for the 3 stars. The idea for calling our course a "resort level course" actually comes from our customers. In our 9 years of operation we have had hundreds of them tell us that our course evokes memories of playing at courses at vacation destinations all over the country. In that our course is built by the same firm that builds many of those courses, our course is larger by 40% than a typical course (including the others in the area) and it is a themed course (though mildly, this is Upstate NY not Hawaii after all), we have felt comfortable in adopting this description from our many customers. Thanks, Big Don

Mexico, New York
“kids party”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My son attended a birthday party here over the summer he had alot of fun and so did the other kids. I give this 2 thumbs up.

Visited June 2012
BigDonCicero_NY, Owner at Big Don's Wild River Mini Golf, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Kristin, thanks so much for the favorable feedback and the two thumbs up! It is our goal that every birthday party child, their family and guests, have a great experience at Big Don's. Hope to see you and your family again next year at Big Don's.
GRAND ISLAND
252 attraction reviews
“putt putt putt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

as locally-grown miniature golf courses go, this one is pretty wild, and popular, some really exotic holes and proper for all ages except the somewhat infirm... price is right, too... but do avoid the near-sunset times, as many a mosquito will join your foursome without asking to play through

Visited August 2012
BigDonCicero_NY, Owner at Big Don's Wild River Mini Golf, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thanks Doug for taking the time to write a nice review. Glad you enjoyed your visit. Sorry you encountered our winged "friends". For our future guests, if you do have the bad luck to encounter skeeters around sunset (that's the outdoors in the summer folks) keep in mind that we almost always have free mosquito repellant out at the counter at those times or if not, please feel free to ask the staff and they will provide it. It's always available. We hope to see you next season. Big Don
Utica, New York
5 attraction reviews
“Fun for young kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I took my son using a Seize the Deal voucher. The mini golf took us all of 10 minutes to complete. Their website stated that some of the holes had spinners with ideas on "different" ways to hit the ball. Most of the spinners were broken off. Parents have to pay individually for all of the activities this place has to offer. My son chose the metal detector in the sandbox, which was fun for him, but we couldv'e done for free at the beach. He also chose the maze, which was actually fun for both of us.

BigDonCicero_NY, Owner at Big Don's Wild River Mini Golf, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for visiting our facility. I am sorry that it did not completely meet your expectations in particular that the website indicated that we are operating Mischief Spinners on some of the holes which we actually did not do this season. We will correct that on our website. I am not sure why it took only 10 minutes to play our 28,000 square foot course (that could be a record for shortest game ever) as the average duration is 40 minutes to an hour and more if we have a summer crowd. I probably should enter your pictures for our record book! You're right, the metal detector could be done at the beach yourself if you own a metal detector but you probably will not find coins from all over the world at Sylvan Beach, you know? Probably keys and watches and earrings and such LOL. If you are in the area again, please drop by again and sample some of our other unique activities. Thank you for your feedback. Big Don
Syracuse, New York
4 attraction reviews
“A fun place with a variety of things to do”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Great for everyone! This is a summer staple for me and my (now recently) husband. They have mini golf, a maze that also has the option for a water gun fight, rock climbing (for kids), gold "mining", some kind of metal detector activity, and a REALLY COOL laser tag area outdoors. There are picnic tables and a pavilion available for rent.

I've done a few of these activities, but not all. The mini golf is basically the average mini golf experience. They do have some "trick" holes. Their one difference is they have wheels to spin to do funny "dares" like golf on 1 foot or someone can stand anywhere they want on the green when another person is shooting. Just silly, fun little things to change up the experience. Unfortunately, the last time I went mini golfing in July these were broken. Big Don himself mentioned he was looking to replace them for next season. Maybe I should suggest looking into a stable wood circle, with a spinning arrow. Perhaps that would save him money when they broke...

The maze is basically made up of a bunch of plastic walls. You have a card that allows you to keep time by getting it stamped when you go in and when you get out. There are 4 stations per a game where you get letters hole punched that you're trying to find. You can play the maze 2 times in a visit since there are 2 words to search out. They change it up every few weeks, so it's always different. I thought it was pretty fun.

They also have a water gun fight option with water stations around the maze. You run through with water tubes and blast water at anyone else playing -- usually your friends. :)

The last time I went was in September though, and I tried the laser tag. It was SO COOL! It was like playing a first person shooting game. Nothing like normal laser tag. It was more like paintball without the fear of getting bruised. Metal guns, headshots only, barricades/forts, and missions are the main reasons I can list off the top of my head for why this was unlike any laser tag I have ever played before. It's not really for kids, but more for pre-teen and older. I would HIGHLY suggest this to anyone who enjoys paintball or first person shoot games. I think the 1 hour was the best deal; I think more would have been too much and less wouldn't have been enough.

On a side note; there is a lot of water in this activity center. The mini golf has a river going through it and the water fights in the maze add to the puddles making it bug crazy when I went. Make sure to bring bug spray! Even the laser tag arena got a bit buggy at night, but that was probably because of the dirt and shrubs.

Visited September 2012