“Stunning property, but food and service could be improved” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   634 Pine Hill Road, Chester, NY 10918   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Chester B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, MA
“Stunning property, but food and service could be improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Wife and I came for a brief mid-week excursion from the city. As other guests and as the pictures show, the property is beautiful, and the furniture is of high quality and tasteful in the guest rooms and common areas. Its obvious that the owners and designers spent a lot of effort picking the right pieces to get the right feel for the mansion, which is very successful. Overall the stay was fine. But, we felt that the we should have known the following:

- The more formal dining room (Supper Club / Room) is only open Th - Sun. The Frogs End tavern which serves a more casual fare is the only dining choice you will have on the property. It's a bistro style, and the food is OK, but somewhat uninteresting. Given the 650++ / night cost of the stay, I would have expected food options of commensurate quality. Wine list is quite good.
- Wet spa is not separated by male / female. So bring your swimsuits if you intend to use it. Massage was surprisingly good.
- We came midweek, which was nice and quiet, but the hotel felt as if it was partially shutdown / operating sub scale. Our "butler" was only available on the first and last day of our stay, but not during the middle. Did they not need a butler if no new guests were checking in? If we wanted to have an after dinner drink in the lounge, we had to find someone to take our order.

We had the following more specific comments, which are very detailed and minor. But the devil is in the details especially on the high end.

- Breakfast was OK - nothing to write home about. The homemade marmalade was quite nice. However, the biscuits tasted like the chef used too much sodium bicarbonate, aka baking soda. Preparation was somewhat inconsistently between the two days. For example, one day we had fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. The next it was obviously from a carton.
- Morning coffees and teas were supposed to be served at 8AM in the self serve bar. On day 1 they were laid out, day 2 they were not, which was odd - and again gave us the feeling like the hotel was half shut down
- The self service bar, though stocked with Voss water, had a selection of supermarket snacks (e.g., nature valley granola) that didn't really match the high end water. I expected something more interesting here.
- it felt like we were served by a revolving door of workers. We hardly saw the same staff twice. Every day it was a different person at the restaurant / front / etc with little continuity.

Again, overall the stay was fine. The rooms are of high quality and that could be enough reason to stay here for a night or two. The food was not great, but we did not have the opportunity to try the supper room. But perhaps it was just overhyped in all the reviews and I just expected too much.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
West Nyack, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

After reading a lot of press on Glenmere Mansion, we decided to visit for one night in March for a birthday celebration. We typically stay at 5 star hotels, so our expectations are high. Glenmere not only exceeded our expectations, it set a new bar for all future hotel stays.

Our reception was very warm, friendly and professional. As we relaxed in our suite, we admired the fine attention to detail and quality of materials throughout the room. We were impressed by the gas fireplaces in the living and bath areas, the large soaking tub, heated bathroom floor, steam shower, fine Italian bedding, full marble baths, art work and luxe furnishings. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that the accommodations were first class in every respect. The owners must have agonized over every single detail to make sure their guests feel like royalty. It is evident that this was a labor of love.

Even though the furnishings are incredible, the hotel does not feel at all stuffy. Thoughtful accents are evident in every room of the “mansion.” Complimentary cookies, snacks and beverages are available throughout. Magazines, books and game tables are scattered around comfy seating areas to encourage curling up and relaxing. You feel like you are in your own home, only better!

Dinner and breakfast in The Supper Room was delicious. The dining room is over the top romantic. The food and service were on par with any 5 star restaurant in the New York Metro area.

We did not partake in the spa, but we were given a tour. It is absolutely stunning. We cannot wait to visit again to take advantage of the facilities.

The grounds and gardens in the spring, summer and fall must be spectacular. We were there at probably the worst time of year (lots and lots of brown trees), and it was still beautiful.

One last note about the staff. Each and every one was very welcoming and well trained. It is evident that they enjoy their jobs and are proud of where they work.

I wish I had the words to do Glenmere justice. I would be hard pressed to come up with even one criticism, but if I had to it would be that I am afraid that we will never find another hotel to live up to the standards set by Glenmere. Kudos to the owner and the entire staff. By all means, if you have the opportunity, go and experience all that Glenmere has to offer. You will never want to leave!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

This property is beautiful. Top Shelf all the way. The rooms are pricey but if you live in the area you must go for drinks / dinner. They have an outdoor court where they serve ( seasonal ) and the dining rooms indoors are phenomenal. I recommend going with friends but do not go over a party of six or you will be forced to have a limited menu at a high $$$$.. The food is good but the atmosphere and ambiance really bring this property to another level..

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

If you want to be surrounded in sheer luxury, enjoy great food, a beautiful home environment, a beautiful room with all the amenities. . . fireplace, smashing furnishings, great art, fab linens, super fashion, art and design books at your fingertips-forget about heading for Paris or the Tuscan country side - head for Chester New York, and Glenmere Mansion. You will not be disappointed, only thrilled that you found this fab mansion-hotel and you can enjoy this stately home for a day, a week, even just for dinner.

This hotel is absolutely fabulous.

Room Tip: Select a room facing the entrance, gardens, or wherever. All views are spectacular!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Wonderful out of the way resort - in the Hudson Valley region - close to NYC.
Beautiful setting, food and accomodations.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Much has already been written about the comforts and beauty of this property, but it must be visited to be understood and appreciated.
We used Glenmere as a base to visit Storm King, Dia, West Point, Hyde Park, etc. on a Hudson Valley trip. With close access to the interstates it a good base and even better to come home to rest. The property in magnificent and still feels new, but comfortable at the same time. Everything has been thought of in making the rooms user friendly. The public rooms are gracious and well appointed to be sure. The dinning room is breathtaking and enjoys wonderful views as well.
We were not sure about having the Frog's head tavern on property, but came to enjoy that intimate space. think of it as a small English town pub (upscale).
The gardens are fantastic even into the mid fall when we visited.
The staff, almost all local have been trained to a very high service standard. We had some interaction with one of the owners/managers and the concept was to create a place incorporating what they like when they travel. They are new to the hotel business and have hit the ball out of the park with what they have done.
Our only issue was that the main dinning room is only open Thur. to Sat., so be careful to be there at least one of those nights to enjoy the full experience. Breakfast is always served in the main dinning room, but dinner other nights is served in the Frog's Head pub.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the house. Price indicates size, fireplace and tub.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Chester, New York. Not exactly the type of town I would expect to find a place like this in for sure. Maybe Florence, Italy ... but Chester? The only thing I knew of Chester is it is a tiny town off the highway which was described to me as a stopping point for gas or snacks on the way to the Woodbury outlet mall. I was staying at The Bedford Post Inn, a member of a very exclusive hotel group who recommended that I stop by Glenmere Mansion when I talked about Italy with one of the staff members there.

My GPS seemed to be tested finding Glenmere and it seemed like a couple back country roads through some corn fields and all of a sudden I came upon a gate. Beyond the gate was a not so impressive parking lot. Oh boy, I thought. Turns out my inability to read directions and the property's lack of signage got the best of me and I was in the employee parking lot. As I approached the Mansion, I felt as though I had left New York and been transported to Tuscany. A salmon colored Medetteranian Palazzo with blue shutters and giant, fenced in courtyard was there.

Upon entering, I got the same snooty reception that I have grown used to at RC properties. It is almost like part of the package to almost be 'sized up and deemed worthy' by the hotel staff here. After apparently passing the the entrance exam (sometimes when you enter a RC property you feel more like you are joining a country club than checking into a hotel/resort) I was seated for lunch. It was a fairly nice day for April (70 degrees and sunny), so I asked to sit outside in the center courtyard for lunch. It was not technically the season for outdoor dining, but the hostess accomodated me by putting some cushions on the chairs. It must have been a good idea because when a few other couples passed by and saw me, they too asked for outside seating.

The courtyard is an incredible replica of a palazzo in Italy. I felt as if I was dining at the Piti Palace in Florence. There is a sistern/fountain in the middle and the outdoor teak furniture is arranged around that. The menu is not as Italian as the decor ... I would say it was sort of a French, Italian and American fusion. I settled on a salad with Spaghetti Carbonara with asparagus. The drinks here are overpriced at between $14 - $18 each but in their defense, they are made fresh ... mine was $16 and included muddled fig, soda water and some bourbon.

The food was excellent and the service was fantastic. My waitress was not pretentious at all but rather fun and sarcastic. She made it very enjoyable to dine alone. What a fantastic view while dining on a nice, sunny day. The food was good ... nothing I would give a Michillen Star for ... but upscale and fresh. There was a fried egg on top of my pasta, not a true Carbonara but it tasted good with the cheese and asparagus tips. Pasta, I don't know if it was homemade.

I was also able to walk around the grounds and the innkeeper was nice enough to show me a couple rooms as I was on business and unable to stay. The rooms I saw were obviously the most expensive ones ... huge suites with sitting rooms and giant stone bathrooms. I could see why these rooms were between $800 - $1200 per night. She unfortunately couldn't show me one of the more modest rooms because they were being cleaned or occupied. Imagine that. I would have to say if they were even half as impressive as the rooms I saw (I think the going rate at the time for a 'basic' if you can call it that, room was $375 - $450 per night. I can't imagine anything at this place wasn't amazing, so it would probably be well worth it. Besides, your only other option in Chester is a Holiday Inn Express.

Overall, this is the kind of place dreams are made of. You will feel as though you are in Tuscany and the remote location of the mall is quite a draw. The property has beautiful landscaping and several sitting areas looking over the lake. The inside of the property is amazing ... like something out of a Veranda Magazine. Not as Italian as I thought it would be ... I would say it reminds me more of a Manhatten sort of decor. However, I did notice the Murano glass chandaliers in the sitting room.

If you have half a grand to spend on a standard room ... or over a grand to drop on a suite ... this is the place you will want to do it. Nearby is the Woodbury Common Outlets. For those who can pay the bill here, outlet shopping is probably not a common passtime. However you will find Frette, Gucci, Versace, Armani, Etro, Neimann Marcus Last Call and many other great stores here. It is worth a check out, even for those who never thought they would visit an outlet. The last time I was at this outlet mall, there was a que of waiting limousines and a visiting prime minister from a country in the east was shopping there with his family.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Glenmere Mansion? Share your experiences!