“Fabulous, Sublime, Magnificent inside and out” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   634 Pine Hill Road, Chester, NY 10918   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Chester B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
California
“Fabulous, Sublime, Magnificent inside and out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

This is my third visit to Glenmere in the last 7 months. I'm addicted to staying there.. Spoiled by them. Enchanted. Glenmere is a very special Relais & Chateaux 19 room property.

Just exquisite, with stellar service. Alan and Dan are extrordinary hosts, and everyone on staff feels more like trusted family retainers than employees - such warm, welcoming, gracious, polished and efficient service in every way.

Intimate, tranquil, sumptuously elegant, adults only romantic getaway, just an easy 90 minute drive from NYC.

Beautiful property with their 150 acres of land, lake, tennis courts, croquet lawn, italianta garden, rose garden, heated swimming pool and jacuzzi and comfortable double chaises to lounge on.

I think Conde Nast Traveleres Gold List will have them ranked 100 out of 100 next year. They are THAT good.

The Spa at Glenmere will probably be open this October - am going to go back in the fall, because if their attention to detail is as meticulous as it is with everything else at Glenmere, it will be divine!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

The place is an old Mansion restored with great attention to detail and encompassing all the modern touches that travelers want. the restoration cost is rumored to be $31,000,000. I am in the construction Business and I can believe that number. With only 17 rooms they may be among the most expensive in the Country. Taj just spen $100,000,000 on the Peirre and they have a many times the number of rooms. In the warm wheather you can eat in the courtyard with fountains. the out door furniture is teak and comfortable. You can have drinks on the veranda over looking gardens and the lake. Food is first class and the Bartender Janet is terriffic.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Monroe, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

What an amazing Hotel. The service, the food, the kindness of the owners and the incredible atmosphere add up to an incredible value even at what appears to be a high price. This hotel is beyond description for it's out of the way location. Incredibly worth the trip and cost.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed there now two times, once a few days in August and now again in January. Both times we impressed by surroundings, we loved our room,with fireplace, very tasteful and we enjoyed an excellent meal. It is quiet there, so no nightlife but great views over the lake.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We had drinks and dinner at the Glenmere with another couple. It is a very elegant and beautifully decorated property with antiques from around the world. From arrival we were "managed" - that's the best way to say it. We were the first to arrive and we asked to look around a bit before we settled down. We were asked three times who we were and our reservations were checked. We were escorted everywhere and felt uncomfortable as if we were suspected of possible wrongdoing. The pub room is tiny and feels a little claustrophobic, but the female bartender was friendly and the drinks were great. We then ate in the dining room where there is a $65 prixe fixed menu of three courses. The food was excellent but the portions were miniscule until dessert which was generous so that you don't leave hungry. Somehow our bill with tax and gratuity came to $300 for the two of us. The service was attentive and friendly and this would be perfect for a special evening.
We intend to return in the summer when they have outdoor seating in a courtyard. This time we'll ask for the pub menu and go easier on the drinks.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

I stayed a couple nights at the Glenmere Mansion in the middle of October (18-22). The hotel is in a beautiful location... on a hill next to a lake surrounded by wooded acres. Spectacular, romantic (too bad my wife was at home, as I was there on business), and very isolated. The room was amazing (tons of marble and wood), very comfortable (plush towels and a great bed), and spacious. Internet WiFi was sketchy. Not the world's greatest "business" hotel, but a wonderful facility for a romatic get-away or corporate event. One of the nicest places I have ever stayed.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I wasn't really sure what to expect. The house which was built in 1911 by the Goelet's, and had changed hands several times. Eventually ithe 150 acre estate on top of the hillside had fallen into total disrepair and been abandoned.

After several years of painstaking renovation, Dan DeSimone and Alan Steiberg re-opened Glenmere to the public in January of this year.

As I come up the gently winding half-mile driveway, my first impression is that it looks nice from the front. I wonder if it will be...

Oh My God. This 18 rooms and suites, Relais & Chateaux, Tuscan villa style boutique hotel is GORGEOUS. Yowsa wow, cannot-believe-how-stunning-it-is.

The entry hall is magnificient. What a first impression! Justin opened the door and greeted me, taking my suitcases and asking if he could get me something to drink.

I wanted a tour of the house before settling into my bedroom, and he willingly complied.

The living room is a spectacular space with its magnificent crown moldings, casing and trims, enormous exotic fresh flower arrangements, a grand piano and various intimate seating areas.

The library with its warm colors, fireplace, crystal drinks tray and built-in bookshelves filled with interesting titles just invites you to come in and sit in one of the very comfortable sofas or chairs and read.

Every single room in this house is comfortable. It's heavenly, the attention to detail that the owners paid.

The specially made potpourri they have everywhere smells good. And it's pretty too. Every single thing is this house is just... stellar.

I think the fragrance is called 'whispering pines'. Mhmmm, delicious.

The view from my bedroom window in the Princess Suite with the lake in the background.was wonderful, as was the bedroom itself. I'm used to high end luxury, and still, I'm very impressed by how magnificent this all is.

The formal italian gardens are exqusite, too.

There is a covered loggia on the side where you can dine outside. Perfect for when the weather is nice in late spring or the summer or early fall.

The breakfast, Sunday Brunch and weekend dining room also has sets of tall french doors looking out towards the lake.
I love their elegantly set tables with the Villeroy & Bach 'marlene pattern' china, Fortessa flatware and Schott Zweisel crystal glasses from Germany.

There is also another formal dining room for private parties. Utterly gorgeous with built-in china cabinets filled with treasures.

I ate in the tap room for an early dinner, which is very pretty but more informal, if anything here can be considered informal. It has a striking, lit-from-behind, marble wall inset at the center of the bar. That same beautiful golden-brown onyx is used on the tabletops.

The bartender made me an excellent Virgin Bloody Mary to drink with fresh horseradish and 3 big olives.

I've been on a pasta binge for the last few days, so Chef made me spaghetti with fall vegetables in a lemon-butter-chive sauce. Yummy.

The swimming pool and spa, looks awesome at night. There is a fountain that sprays water in arcs over both sides of the pool, and the colors change every few minutes, shifting from green to aqua to blue to purple.

There are tennis courts, and there will be full service spa open late next spring.

Back in the house, A magnificent stone staircase that leads to the bedrooms.
There is an exquisite antique table at the top with the fresh orchids on it, and flanked by those two pretty lamps and stunning side chairs.

The walls upstairs are upholstered with the most beautiful creamy-light- honey colored fabric, which serves the dual purpose of keeping everything very quiet in the hallways as it is sound absorbent.
The owners have thought of everything!

Another gracious touch is the the upstairs bar area, where there is hot coffeee and tea in the morning, and snacks and fresh fruit and sodas in the afternoon.

Finally, I go back to my bedroom and bathroom - the Princess Suite..

I have to wash my hand and face and brush my teeth. The soap and generously sized 5.07 ounce limited edition 'albi frgarance - laura-tonatto' bath products from Italy smelled divine.

The towels are thick and VERY soft. As are the large bathrobes.
Love the mirror. And the steam/rain shower where the water presure is very good.
The heated floors are very nice underfoot.

I think I've turned into Cinderella and there is no midnight. This B&B redefines 'sublime'.

The bed is very comfortable. I love watching DVD's on the flat screen, or having the fire turn on and off with a switch of the remote. The house is soundproofed so well, I hear no noise at all, and sleep very well indeed.

In short, service was very good, the house is stunning, the food is good, the view/ambiance of the beautiful gardens and surrounding lawns of the house is a serene treat to be relished, amenities are lavish, and guest comfort is evident in every well-planned and thought out detail.

It would be a great place to get married.

The price is worth it. I can't wait to return, and I suspect by the time that the New York Times writes them up (they have already been in Architectural Digest in May 2010) and New Yorkers find out about Glenmere in the lower Hudson Valley, a mere hour and 15 minutes drive from the George Washington Bridge, that it will be difficult to get a reservation on the weekends.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Glenmere Mansion? Share your experiences!